Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2018, 08:16 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Here is a very informative article.....just found this, and it makes sense....
I feel better now.

What should I do when my heat pump runs constantly?
That little piece of propaganda is spoken like a true heat pump salesman. The proof is in your electric bill, as opposed to the gas bill you've become accustomed to in homes so equipped.

That little piece of propaganda is as close as you're going to see to the answer to the question you asked....why are they installing heat pumps in PA? Because of cons like this one and the people that buy into them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 08:17 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
You're too far north for a heat pump.

You have resistance heat when the outside unit can't keep up.

They run year-round so naturally they have a shorter life than an AC unit.

I just now read, where they are finally building them so that they do work better in cold weather....

and yes, of course, your right about them running year round....

but my question was mainly, why would they install them if they constantly run all the time....to keep up....and in my last post, I posted a link to an article that makes a lot of sense....read it when you have time, it's interesting.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:18 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Gas connections also cost $$$
The local gas company will usually waive the fee for installing the pipe to your house, there is some kind of stipulation that it needs to be connected to something that uses gas in X amount of time after install. At least that is the way it worked for my Grandmother a few years back when she switched to gas.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
if we can land on the moon, no one can tell me, that we cannot devise a cheaper way of heating our homes.....
The fuel for the Saturn V was kerosene and liquid oxygen, I don't know what they use now but it's still a chemical. The means to propel a rocket today into space is fundamentally no different than the first rockets in the 1200's.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
yes, I understand that, but once again, I'll add, why can't they invent something that works better? And why would they be allowed to install them in homes where it gets cold. ???? Makes no sense, and then they want to be all energy efficient? That's crazy!
If you wanted to be super efficient install a coal boiler. One of the issues when looking at the efficiency of heat pump is you are not considering the efficiency of the source of the electric. When you consider that a heat pump can never compete with the efficiency of coal or natural gas heating system in your household.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you wanted to be super efficient install a coal boiler. One of the issues when looking at the efficiency of heat pump is you are not considering the efficiency of the source of the electric. When you consider that a heat pump can never compete with the efficiency of coal or natural gas heating system in your household.
well thank you, but where I live, I would not be allowed to install a coal burner....so...but appreciate your kindness.

When I lived in Northern PA, we did have a coal stove....and loved it...the warmth of it, however, did not care for the black soot it left on the walls over time.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Here is a very informative article.....just found this, and it makes sense....
I feel better now.

What should I do when my heat pump runs constantly?
From this article:

Quote:
Great question. Here’s why. Your thermostat prioritizes the heat pump run time to maximize the cheap heat. The auxiliary heat (electric resistance heat, or back-up heat) is minimized since it is more expensive. Here’s how it works. Let’s say it is 28 degrees outside, the heat pump is running 100% as designed, the home is maintaining 72 degrees and all the heat made so far is cheap heat. Now let’s say it cools to 26 degrees outside. If the home temperature goes down one, or sometimes two degrees, this causes the thermostat to bring on the auxiliary heat for a very short boost to supplement the heat pump. The home temperature raises to a point just short of the thermostat set point and then the auxiliary heat turns off as soon as possible. Meanwhile the heat pump has been running non-stop throughout this time to maximize the cheap heat. So in cold temperatures, the heat pump runs non stop to maximize your cheap heat but your home may remain a degree or two below your thermostat setting
What they are not stating is that when temperature is hovering around that set point the heat pumps efficiency is reduced to almost nothing over regular electric.

Also keep in mind that efficiency is one variable in calculating cost per BTU. To reiterate what I said before the cost per BTU for heat pump running at 300% efficiency might be 3 times what is for gas or coal. Even at optimum efficiency it's costing you about the same thing.

Old 02-09-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
From this article:

What they are not stating is that when temperature is hovering around that set point the heat pumps efficiency is reduced to almost nothing over regular electric.

Also keep in mind that efficiency is one variable in calculating cost per BTU. To reiterate what I said before the cost per BTU for heat pump running at 300% efficiency might be 3 times what is for gas or coal. Even at optimum efficiency it's costing you about the same thing.

OK, I understand what your saying now, thank you for taking the time to explain again, makes sense. Never thought of it that way....

this lil pea brain of mine? sheesh

Old 02-09-2018, 09:04 AM

Quote:
well thank you, but where I live, I would not be allowed to install a coal burner....so...but appreciate your kindness.
There is no laws that will prevent you from installing coal that I'm aware of, especially in PA. There is no reason for them because it's simply not a nuisance to the neighbors. You live in a unique area of the country because you have readily available access to anthracite coal from Northeastern Pennsylvanian. I know what your perception may be about coal, I'm guessing this is not it.

Or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQT6CVC2sOc

Or.... I could go on and on. Instead of relying on what you think do some research on it. You can start here:

https://coalpail.com/coal-forum/

Old 02-09-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
There is no laws that will prevent you from installing coal that I'm aware of, especially in PA. There is no reason for them because it's simply not a nuisance to the neighbors. You live in a unique area of the country because you have readily available access to anthracite coal from Northeastern Pennsylvanian. I know what your perception may be about coal, I'm guessing this is not it.

Or this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQT6CVC2sOc

Or.... I could go on and on. Instead of relying on what you think do some research on it. You can start here:

https://coalpail.com/coal-forum/
sigh.....

I did do research...I may have a propane fireplace insert, but not a log fireplace. I may not have a coal burner...
I may not have a coal heater stove...now, I'm not certain about the one you have shown me here, but I could never carry or lift the coal...nor would I have a place to store it. I may not have those small propane free standing little stoves, that would require me to fill up with fuel a few times a day.

Also, I am limited as to what I can do physically...(understand)

My propane fireplace is behind glass and doesn't have cause for me to start a fire...I lift up the remote, press a button and it fires up. I have to have it serviced once a year and the chimney for it checked. They have very strict rules where I live....and I am not making up stories.

I may not have any lines going down the side of my home for any cable or TV, they must drill and go inside the house.

I believe I told you, we heated our home with coal when I lived up north....so I know what I'm talking about....

There are rules in our development.

Oh, I am not allowed to have a pellet stove....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology