Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 01:28 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,154,689 times

Advertisements

Its safe enough, its on east Broadway,and she has a roomate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2018, 02:02 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,459,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Its safe enough, its on east Broadway,and she has a roomate.
Vancouver is safe. What I'm talking about is how is the electrical set up? How are the fire escape routes? Are there bars on the windows for instance.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:02 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,493,099 times
Not sure about Canada, but down here all you need is an HDTV and an antenna. It is called Over The Air Broadcast like the old fashioned way. There are special antennae, but an old rabbit ear style works fine.
over the air tv canada gets 85 million hits. There are details about how it works.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:08 PM

16,501 posts, read 19,575,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Vancouver is safe. What I'm talking about is how is the electrical set up? How are the fire escape routes? Are there bars on the windows for instance.
This is off topic.

OP: it's Internet TV for her. Hulu or SlingTV or Vue or YouTube TV. Time to invest in a Roku or Fire Stick.

Old 03-08-2018, 05:49 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,046,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Not sure about Canada, but down here all you need is an HDTV and an antenna. It is called Over The Air Broadcast like the old fashioned way. There are special antennae...
No, there aren't. No 'special' antenna is needed, any antenna that worked before the change to digital will work after the change. There is no need for a 'digital antenna' because there is no such thing, it's pure marketing hype without even a hint of truth.

An EM wave is an EM wave is an EM wave and the only thing that matters as far as the antenna is concerned is that it has elements that resonate at the desired frequencies. It makes no difference at all whether the signal encoded within the EM wave is AM, FM, SSB or 'digital', neither the EM wave nor the antenna care about the encoding, it is only the receiver that matters, in that the receiver must be capable of decoding the signal. You can *make* an antenna out of wire hangars, a board and some screws and it will work even better than the [so-called] 'digital' antennas sold in the stores.

Old 03-08-2018, 06:49 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,562,262 times
Quote:
My daughter moved into an apartment that doesnt allow cable tv hookups ,is there any way she can get tv channels by avoiding the cable hook up?

Thanks
There's a federal communications access law, that prevents landlords, home-owners associations and municipalities from blocking reasonable connections or antennas, that enable reception of TV, telephone and Internet signals. As described previously, the binary code of digital TV transmissions travels on the same type of carrier-signal, in the same channel bandwidths (minus channels 2 through 6), as analog signals previously used.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 03-08-2018 at 06:58 PM..

Old 03-08-2018, 07:02 PM

6,988 posts, read 4,848,051 times
I'm not so sure about that splitter anyway. I had Comcast to my trailer for my computer and then my neighbor wanted Comcast TV. Unbeknownst to us (at the time), instead of separately wiring his trailer, they put a splitter on my line, thereby providing one service and being paid twice.

We knew right away what happened, though, because my computer slowed way down and his cable started cutting out every couple of minutes.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:47 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,563,681 times
Quote:
Yeah thats what it is, the landlord is an old Chinese guy who has no need of cable as daughter offered to pay for the hook up then use the splitter ,owner declined the offer.
As Housing prices are through the roof in Vancouver many home owners convert part of their houses into an illegal apartment, the home owner gets added income and the student gets an apartment that is somewhat affordable.
And no legal recourse whatsoever if the landlord turns out to be a jerk, won't do repairs, wants to hike her rent or evict her without warning, etc.

I understand the motivation, in terms of finding an affordable place to live, but she is taking a risk with no lease, and if it's an illegal apartment, I am sure he will not sign anything.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:31 AM

6,809 posts, read 10,473,068 times
If she has Internet, she can get a roku or roku TV and use Sling for getting most of the cable channels.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:38 PM

14,612 posts, read 17,424,739 times
If your daughter was in a similar situation in Seattle, I would suggest getting AT&T cellular unlimited data for her cell phone which comes with a sizeable discount towards Direct TV Now (there may be a wait period before the discount is eligible). You can then cast the picture onto a larger TV with Chromecast or similar devices in the $35 range.

But AFAIK you can't get AT&T if over 50% of your monthly usage is in Canada. I would see what Canadian company has a similar plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology