Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 09:56 AM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
There are so many options on Roku. You did not give it a fair shake. You bought it, tried Netflix, and took it back? It's WAY more then just Netflix. Go get a damn Roku.
Talk to us (maybe in the appropriate forum *hint* this ain't it)
//www.city-data.com/forum/consumer-electronics/
No, that's not how it works. Netflix and YTR are separate competing services.
You pay for one, or both. or neither.
I don't care for enough shows that are shown on the Roku for it to be worth it to me to pay. I saw all those other channels & movie channels they provide. My regular cable bill, which is a triple bundle along w/ landline phone & internet service is $160/mo. That's enough. I have plenty of shows I like on there. I just wanted that Cobra Kai show, which I like that's only on YouTube Red (34 yrs after the Karate Kid movies).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 01:04 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I don't care for enough shows that are shown on the Roku for it to be worth it to me to pay. I saw all those other channels & movie channels they provide. My regular cable bill, which is a triple bundle along w/ landline phone & internet service is $160/mo. That's enough. I have plenty of shows I like on there. I just wanted that Cobra Kai show, which I like that's only on YouTube Red (34 yrs after the Karate Kid movies).
The idea is to reduce to a minimum or drop the other stuff you may not need and supplement it with a media player like the Roku or Firestick. I only have Antenna and three Fire Sticks for my house and I only pay $53 for internet. That to me is more than enough because I can get tons of programming on my Fire Stick. Way more than I would ever have time to watch. I can also get locals on my Antenna for free. The Fire Stick is only $40 one time. That's it. I dropped Dish 2 years ago and that was $125 a month. I'm never home long enough to get my money's worth. Your situation may be different. I certainly would not pay a monthly service like YTR on top of my regular (expensive) cable bill either. It's called cutting the cord, you've probably heard about it?

Old 06-15-2018, 01:49 PM

Yes, I know thousands of people cancel their cable all the time to cut on costs & get Netflix to substitute for it for cheaper. Ah, IF only Netflix showed the SAME shows that regular cable does for the much lower price!!!!

Ever since I was a child, I've just always loved TV. I had my list of shows I liked then, just like I have my list now & it's been like that throughout my life. I don't really watch anything live as it airs & haven't for a long time. I DVR it (record) & watch on my own time. I can be quite a night owl. I record anywhere from 2-5 shows every single day of the week, plus some TV movies on a couple of channels I like & some tennis, certain other sports, & Olympics at times. I always have things to watch when I'm finally free.

Yes, I love TV, but I still work, get out & do things, take a trip here & there, managed to earn 2 Masters degrees, etc. so it's not like I was some couch potato & wasted my life away.

TV to me is one of life's simple pleasures. It's my way to relax. Give me some good TV along w/ some good food & I'm good all night long!

I'll never ever cancel cable TV! There's just this ONE other show I want to see that unfortunately is on YTR. I guess it's up to me if I want to pay just for that show. So far, I'm holding off as long as I can in hopes that down the line if I just wait, I can see this show in an alternative way.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Yes, I know thousands of people cancel their cable all the time to cut on costs & get Netflix to substitute for it for cheaper. Ah, IF only Netflix showed the SAME shows that regular cable does for the much lower price!!!!

Ever since I was a child, I've just always loved TV. I had my list of shows I liked then, just like I have my list now & it's been like that throughout my life. I don't really watch anything live as it airs & haven't for a long time. I DVR it (record) & watch on my own time. I can be quite a night owl. I record anywhere from 2-5 shows every single day of the week, plus some TV movies on a couple of channels I like & some tennis, certain other sports, & Olympics at times. I always have things to watch when I'm finally free.

Yes, I love TV, but I still work, get out & do things, take a trip here & there, managed to earn 2 Masters degrees, etc. so it's not like I was some couch potato & wasted my life away.

TV to me is one of life's simple pleasures. It's my way to relax. Give me some good TV along w/ some good food & I'm good all night long!

I'll never ever cancel cable TV! There's just this ONE other show I want to see that unfortunately is on YTR. I guess it's up to me if I want to pay just for that show. So far, I'm holding off as long as I can in hopes that down the line if I just wait, I can see this show in an alternative way.
What other show? I ask because there are many older shows on Amazon and Netflix some of which I enjoy myself.

I forgot to mention I have Amazon Prime which I did not get for the video, I got it for the free shipping but now I enjoy it for on-demand movies and TV shows. I use my sister's Netflix account (don't tell anybody) and regular Youtube (free). I use Kodi with various add-ons for live TV and movies and then all of the apps you can download and install like PBS, History Channel, NFL, Smithsonian and the list goes on and on, literally thouusands. There are tons of things to watch.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:35 PM

^ Above in my last sentence in post #11 is the one new show I like...Cobra Kai show, the continuation 34 yrs after the Karate Kid movies (starring Pat Morita & Ralph Macchio):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe9...xeKyYHL4mldGcA

I watch regular (free) youtube too.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
^ Above in my last sentence in post #11 is the one new show I like...Cobra Kai show, the continuation 34 yrs after the Karate Kid movies (starring Pat Morita & Ralph Macchio):

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe9...xeKyYHL4mldGcA

I watch regular (free) youtube too.
That's a youtube original, only on youtube but I'm sure you know that.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:31 PM

Don't you have to pay a month for that too?

What's the difference between YouTube Red & the YouTube Originals? I've only watch plain old FREE YouTube all along.

Old 06-20-2018, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Don't you have to pay a month for that too?

What's the difference between YouTube Red & the YouTube Originals? I've only watch plain old FREE YouTube all along.
Youtube original means it was produced by Youtube, that's all. It's like a Netflix original or Amazon original.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology