Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 10:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,172 times

Advertisements

shouldn't we have more effective ways of harnessing solar power now because

Approximately 12000 TW (terrawatts) of energy

reaches the Earth from the Sun.

That is 1200000000000000 joules per minute

More energy reaches the earth from the sun in one day

than the whole world uses in one year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2018, 10:58 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
The most efficient uses of solar energy are converting it directly to heat, such as water tanks on the roof and solar ovens in the yard, and photosynthesis, which makes our food.

Old 05-26-2018, 11:41 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosperity4all View Post
shouldn't we have more effective ways of harnessing solar power now because

Approximately 12000 TW (terrawatts) of energy

reaches the Earth from the Sun.

That is 1200000000000000 joules per minute

Why would the powers that be, put much R&D or money into an energy source that would basically be free for everyone to use? NEVER going to happen!

Whatever source of energy is used in the future, you can be sure of one thing...it WILL be able to be run thru a meter.

Old 05-27-2018, 03:27 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosperity4all View Post

I did this calculation before but I'm not looking it up. If I recall a rough estimate of all the energy we have used forever is a few minutes of the sun.

The issue is not the available energy but the cost of harnessing it. Even if the cost of producing electric with solar was the same as fossil fuel it still can't fully replace it. You can stack coal to the moon next to a coal plant, you can't do with the sun without some extraordinary expense for capacity and storage.

There is days in Germany if they get the right weather they can fully supply their grid for short time just from wind and solar. There is also just as much capacity powered form other sources like coal sitting there idle. The capital costs cannot be removed for those idled plants thus Germans pay about 35 cents per kWh.

Old 05-27-2018, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Why would the powers that be, put much R&D or money into an energy source that would basically be free for everyone to use? NEVER going to happen!

Whatever source of energy is used in the future, you can be sure of one thing...it WILL be able to be run thru a meter.

No such thing as free energy unless you are sun bathing. Because of the unreliability of wind and solar sans some major breakthrough like fusion reactors the next big energy source will be geothermal because that can replace fossil fuels.

Old 05-27-2018, 08:25 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:

It has no then to do with power suppliers, but with the added expense of solar energy. For example, if you can afford it you can have an entire home running on solar power, but you still need the solar panels, and batteries to store the power when sunlight is not available. Then you need to wire the house to make it independent of the commercial power (separate wiring, and switching devices). Not only that, but batteries must be maintained in a regular basis. Nothing is stopping you from doing all of that, except your pocket. Commercial power is a lot cheaper.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
No such thing as free energy unless you are sun bathing. Because of the unreliability of wind and solar sans some major breakthrough like fusion reactors the next big energy source will be geothermal because that can replace fossil fuels.
IDK about that. I remember my high school physics class in the early 90s and doing the spinning magnetic rings experiment, and how it would keep a paper clip suspended in mid air.

Ive always wanted to scale that experiment up if I had the means to do so.

I have no doubt whatsoever there are other energy sources, but they are suppressed or withheld.

Old 05-29-2018, 04:12 PM

2,360 posts, read 1,915,241 times
Quote:
IDK about that. I remember my high school physics class in the early 90s and doing the spinning magnetic rings experiment, and how it would keep a paper clip suspended in mid air.

Ive always wanted to scale that experiment up if I had the means to do so.

I have no doubt whatsoever there are other energy sources, but they are suppressed or withheld.
Im still trying to figure out the water and battery for the cars to run on.. youtube seems to keep the details under wraps. lol..

Well do have a friend in joplin that just got solar install 8.5kws and he has to sell it back to the power grid on what he doesnt use, and in return have to buy it back at a higher price.

Old 05-29-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Well do have a friend in joplin that just got solar install 8.5kws and he has to sell it back to the power grid on what he doesnt use, and in return have to buy it back at a higher price.

Why would you expect your friend to be paid retail rates when the power company can buy it elsewhere or produce it themselves at much lower cost?

Old 05-30-2018, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
Im still trying to figure out the water and battery for the cars to run on.. youtube seems to keep the details under wraps. lol..

Are you talking about that guy that apparently figured a way for car engines to run on water? I know they found he had committed suicide recently, not sure of his name, Id have to look it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology