Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 12:41 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
In the social sciences (I'm a financial economist), peer reviewed means that one or more qualified reviewers found the article to be well-researched, well-written, and likely to be interesting to the readers of the journal. It does not mean the reviewers agree with the author or that the article's conclusions are "correct."

I am a reviewer for several journals.

There are also fake journals that accept articles they say are peer-reviewed but are not; you'd do best to avoid them.
What are some notable fake journals?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 09:24 AM

2,129 posts, read 1,777,169 times
Well the OP clearly has an axe to grind. Move along. No possibility of intelligent discussion here. He clearly just wants everyone to agree with him, same flaw as he accuses the peer review process of laboring under.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:41 AM

230 posts, read 92,059 times
No, I am here for intellectual and scientific progress, if people reject peer reviews of someone different than what has been told them or forced upon them, so be it.

As a past poster peer reviewer has stated... He doesnt want to force people into following any of his reviews, its just a WARNING. Good for the E's and A's and so good for the c's

SEE thread entitild What are yuou HEREAFTER biologically for the ABC equations

So do lighten up Pye, an axe to grind is a rather violent sounding similie. Dont feel so attacked, its just little old me, I might be 6'5" but I just ask a few questions and sharpen your minds in case you have inconsistencies and are bias and out of balance or are not basing your peer reviews on science and facts and principles.

If you want R remarks, truths or facts about the invisable or about design, do go to a resurrected thread on the Religion Forum..

//www.city-data.com/forum/relig...l#post52706842

As for the Science Forum, they dont allow creationists explaining design, math, physics, chemistry, and biological scientific facts and laws to be discussed. That thread was closed.

But maybe on the Religion Forum you can sneak in a scientific question, as talking science is not allowed there. There you must only talk about Religion...

Anyway, my **** is definitely been peer reviewed for years and years and years, and on innumerable forums.

Old 08-05-2018, 12:48 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
What are some notable fake journals?
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/29/u...eal-thing.html

Old 08-05-2018, 02:49 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Well the OP clearly has an axe to grind. Move along. No possibility of intelligent discussion here. He clearly just wants everyone to agree with him, same flaw as he accuses the peer review process of laboring under.
The same basis for every thread he starts. The best of any discussion he starts are those posts made by everyone but him.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:58 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
In the social sciences (I'm a financial economist), peer reviewed means that one or more qualified reviewers found the article to be well-researched, well-written, and likely to be interesting to the readers of the journal. It does not mean the reviewers agree with the author or that the article's conclusions are "correct."

I am a reviewer for several journals.

There are also fake journals that accept articles they say are peer-reviewed but are not; you'd do best to avoid them.
I mostly worked at the bench in research labs but I was asked to review a couple articles by my P.I. A person selected to review an article is usually chosen because they have expertise in an area of the submitted publication (mine was in technical aspects of light and electron microscopy).

Saying that a human is always completely unbiased is a stretch, as is saying peer review is all just political or a power play. Falsifiability is an important aspect of experimental science. If a reviewer can show a part of the submitted publication is falsified by previous published work, that is usually fatal. However, the usual intent is more mundane, merely to make sure the paper is technically correct in its claims, that the information presented is clear and understandable, basically the same kinds of things editors try to do with nonfiction works. Peer review is not a perfect system, none are, but I don’t know of a better one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology