U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2019, 03:39 PM
KCZ
 
2,821 posts, read 1,650,033 times
Reputation: 7664

Advertisements

What about an item for which no parts are ever made available? Is it obsolete as soon as you walk out of the store with it? Aren't non-repairable items the definition of planned obsolescence?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2019, 07:19 PM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston/Tricity
45,756 posts, read 65,348,504 times
Reputation: 105695
Quote:
Originally Posted by barking pumpkins View Post
Wall Calendars
Any Apple hardware
Wall calendars are still in use. I love to just glance at it and see exactly what day it is and the relation to other days and events. An app on the phone isn't the same.

One thing that I find obsolete now is a... busy signal on the phone. It has been a long time I heard that last. Nowadays you get a whole tree of automated redirections or a voicemail.

Dot-matrix printers are obsolete now too. I used to have one at work along with a manual typewriter and white-out... lol

Test pattern on the TV for calibrating or troubleshooting. I think it was called an Indian head here in the US and latter on a PAL test pattern for color TV's. I remember it as a Dutch circle in Europe. Or color bars.
When the circle or the patterns were distorted, one could manually correct that.

Fax machines and slide projectors are not used anymore.

Film projectors in the movie theatres. Now they are digital. At times the film broke and we had to wait till the operator got it fixed, it started usually with numbers counting down, sometimes the film was scratched too.
I remember blinking very fast to catch the individual frame when the ratio was very low...
We had a big collection of documentaries, classic movies, and cartoons in our elementary school and we watched the movies quite frequently when a teacher was sick or we didn't have a classroom to attend. Fun times!

Memorizing anything seems to be obsolete now. People don't even know their contacts info and are totally lost without their gadgets. Phone books became rare - I didn't see any in ages.
Also, when was the last time anyone did some math in their head?

Lots of people don't know the time on an analog clock. I have such a clock in my office and people always ask me what time it shows. Fewer people are wearing a wristwatch too.

Caligraphy is obsolete in the US (although kids still actually use it in many European countries). A new generation of Americans probably wouldn't be able to read historical documents. Curious about the art of writing in Asia, especially brush writing in Japan...
Kinda sad, because the way in which we form our letters can often help identify our culture of origin and even our mother tongue. Also one could see if someone was educated or not just by watching them write.

Recording cassettes and tape recorders. There was something so personal about a mixtape. When I was young, we spent hours finding the right song, then lining up two cassettes in order to copy it. So many lovers cemented their relationships using a blank tape and a few dozen favorite albums.
I had a Grundig reel to reel tape recorder when I was a teen and it was one of my most precious possessions.

VCR tapes and recording movies is obsolete too. I still have a big collection of such tapes, and no recorder to play them...
__________________
.
"No Copyrighted Material"
Moderated forums:
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee, Minnesota,
Economics, Investing, Personal Finance, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums
.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 07:33 PM
 
Location: Lahaina, Hi.
2,863 posts, read 2,378,518 times
Reputation: 5182
Smartboards in classrooms. They showed up with much fanfare and high prices ($10k - 25k each). In no time they were effectively obsolete. (Some teachers do still use them anyway.)
Many teachers (like me) never wanted them but Districts nationwide had a goal of having them in every classroom.
What a huge waste of money.
In many of the classrooms at schools where I sub, they stand forlornly in the back of the room. No one uses them but they cost too much to throw away. They will be kept until someone is brave enough to discard them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2019, 09:16 PM
 
1,517 posts, read 657,661 times
Reputation: 2995
Quote:
One thing that I find obsolete now is a... busy signal on the phone. It has been a long time I heard that last. Nowadays you get a whole tree of automated redirections or a voicemail.
Just pick up the phone and dial your own number. Unless you're still on a step office that supports party lines (highly unlikely today) or an electronic switch that is (for whatever sick reason) still set up to make reverting party line calls, you'll just get a busy.

Quote:
Dot-matrix printers are obsolete now too. I used to have one at work along with a manual typewriter and white-out... lol
Still used in some places to print out batch orders/receipts. A local riders' merchants out in Orchards still uses one as their customer receipt printer at their POS terminals.

Quote:
Test pattern on the TV for calibrating or troubleshooting. I think it was called an Indian head here in the US and latter on a PAL test pattern for color TV's. I remember it as a Dutch circle in Europe. Or color bars.
PAL was never used for broadcasting in North America; NTSC was/is the color system. The color bar test card which is still very much in use is called SMPTE Engineering Guideline 1-1990 (or just EG1-1990) and there's even a 1.77:1 variant of it for widescreen broadcasts (ARIB STD-B28/SMPTE RP 219:2002). A variant of the Philips PMR5544 test card (very widely used in PAL areas, especially Europe) was used on a few Canadian (NTSC) TV services and a few USA satellite broadcasts but this is nonstandard.

Quote:
When the circle or the patterns were distorted, one could manually correct that.

Fax machines and slide projectors are not used anymore.
Fax machines are still in a lot of businesses. Faxed copies of documents (e.g. contracts) cannot be easily altered and are considered admissable as evidence in a court of law. Now if you want to talk about the telautograph, I certainly haven't seen one during my lifetime but my mom and grandparents could tell you about them.

Quote:
Film projectors in the movie theatres. Now they are digital. At times the film broke and we had to wait till the operator got it fixed, it started usually with numbers counting down, sometimes the film was scratched too.
Some new releases are still coming out in limited 35mm and 70mm film runs alongside their general-release DCP videos. Nolan and a few others use film extensively for intermediate footage and insist on debut and roadshow screening in one of the two exibition formats.

Quote:
Recording cassettes and tape recorders. There was something so personal about a mixtape. When I was young, we spent hours finding the right song, then lining up two cassettes in order to copy it. So many lovers cemented their relationships using a blank tape and a few dozen favorite albums. I had a Grundig reel to reel tape recorder when I was a teen and it was one of my most precious possessions.
I take it you must not know too many hipsters.

Quote:
VCR tapes and recording movies is obsolete too. I still have a big collection of such tapes, and no recorder to play them...
Don't tell my parents that.

Last edited by Ttark; 08-23-2019 at 10:26 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top