Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 07:35 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,204 times

Advertisements

So, we have the above 3 devices/services. I am getting very frustrated with Amazon Prime. The following happens ONLY with prime, not YouTube, Netflix, etc.

We start to watch a show and suddenly, sometimes not until halfway through the show, the Amazon app apparently crashes. By this is mean we get kicked out of the program, get the Apple spinning wheel while things rebuild themselves and after about 3-4 minutes can get back into Prime and click on resume program. It’s really starting to get annoying.

The other thing that is happening, again ONLY with Amazon Prime, is that while watching a show, the video will suddenly start skipping, jumping or freeze (sort of like it’s buffering) but the audio keeps going. I can stop and rewind and try to play it again but it keeps doing the same thing at the same place. The only thing I’ve found that works is to fast forward a bit past the part that is hanging up and resume watching at that point.

Is anyone else experiencing anything like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2019, 12:00 PM

295 posts, read 353,955 times
Not too familiar with AppleTV but if you can delete the app and reinstall it I'd try that.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:32 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
So, we have the above 3 devices/services. I am getting very frustrated with Amazon Prime. The following happens ONLY with prime, not YouTube, Netflix, etc.

We start to watch a show and suddenly, sometimes not until halfway through the show, the Amazon app apparently crashes. By this is mean we get kicked out of the program, get the Apple spinning wheel while things rebuild themselves and after about 3-4 minutes can get back into Prime and click on resume program. It’s really starting to get annoying.

The other thing that is happening, again ONLY with Amazon Prime, is that while watching a show, the video will suddenly start skipping, jumping or freeze (sort of like it’s buffering) but the audio keeps going. I can stop and rewind and try to play it again but it keeps doing the same thing at the same place. The only thing I’ve found that works is to fast forward a bit past the part that is hanging up and resume watching at that point.

Is anyone else experiencing anything like this?
I don't know if the following will help you, but what I do if I have any trouble watching Netflix through the Apple TV is as follows: press and release the Menu button on the Apple TV remote several times until it takes you to the apps screen. In the apps screen there is the Apple TV settings app (looks like a mechanical gear), and open that app. Scroll down the settings to System, and choose this one. That should bring you to the System screen. Scroll down from "Help" and stop at [b]Restart[/B. Choose or select Restart, and the Apple TV will turn off, and then restart. Wait a few seconds for it to restart before you go back to the app you are using to watch Amazon show.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:44 AM

Thanks for the replies. Apple TV installs or removes updates automatically. I’m not sure if there’s a manual way of doing that. I’ve also done the restart thingy (haven’t done a complete reset since I don’t want to have to enter all my passwords, IDs, etc.) which has not yet made any difference. However......

I also posted this over on AVS forums and someone else said they were experiencing the same thing but, for him, it occurred when he was switching between Netflix and Prime. We also use both of those apps but I never paid attention as to whether it happened when we went from one app to the other. I’m trying to be conscious of that now to see if my case is the same.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:56 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times
Not to seem like a generic knock, but Apple's TV offerings have a long history of not playing well (or at all) with competing services. Their apps for Amazon, Netflix and other direct competitors are often buggy and updated infrequently, when they aren't being blocked altogether.

The Appleverse is, as pretty much always, for Apple products first and anything else when they bother.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:16 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Not to seem like a generic knock, but Apple's TV offerings have a long history of not playing well (or at all) with competing services. Their apps for Amazon, Netflix and other direct competitors are often buggy and updated infrequently, when they aren't being blocked altogether.

The Appleverse is, as pretty much always, for Apple products first and anything else when they bother.
Amazon and Apple are competitors and have not played well together for a long time. It does not come just from Apple. Amazon stopped selling appletvs on their website, for instance, before the Prime app came out. I believe the app was developed by amazon not by apple.

I have an old generation AppleTV and have no problem using the Prime app or the Netflix app, except when my internet is being slow. They worked excellently all the time until the last several months when Spectrum started slowing down our speeds. I miss my Time Warner internet. Sigh.

Old 01-03-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:

I’ve not had any problems, so far, with anything else, only Amazon Prime. I’m going to do as the guy on AVS suggests and monitor my useage, see if Prime doesn’t like some other app....not sure what I can do about it if that’s the case but at least I’m not the only one.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:04 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:

I seldom have a problem with Netflix and the rest using an Apple TV. But if I ever do, I just restart it (or unplug the power cord for a few minutes, and then plug it in) and the problem disappears. Now, maybe some of you are correct about Amazon and Apple not playing nice? It could also be Amazon not playing Nice?

Maybe this would be of help?
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7081015

Old 01-04-2019, 01:33 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,096,265 times
Prime Video didn't even have an app on AppleTV until December of 2017. It's a relatively new app on that platform, and apparently it's still buggy.

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2017/...100-countries/

Old 01-04-2019, 01:50 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Now, maybe some of you are correct about Amazon and Apple not playing nice? It could also be Amazon not playing Nice?
None of the parties play nice with each other, but Apple is especially known for sulkily allowing others into the sandbox and then being difficult to work with - withholding critical API and compatibility info, being very slow to approve and implement updates, etc. (The others tend to just say no until pressured to let Apple play in their sandbox.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Prime Video didn't even have an app on AppleTV until December of 2017. It's a relatively new app on that platform, and apparently it's still buggy.
And there's zero reason for that except that Apple makes it harder to play in their sand than others. They've always been that way; look back at the original Mac programming APIs that required deep, deep indoctrination and much patience to work with, just because Apple, you know. I remember whole issues of programming magazines devoted to just explaining basic use, which should be inherent in any API or library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology