Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 04:35 AM
BMI

7,455 posts, read 7,240,009 times

Advertisements

I’m sure 6G will be even better ....can’t wait....hopefully by 2025
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 12:03 PM

2,151 posts, read 1,348,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMI View Post
I’m sure 6G will be even better ....can’t wait....hopefully by 2025
That's a bit aggressive. 5g is just right around the corner (they expect dominance by 2025... So real soon). I don't 6g will be anything but a spec that soon.

Old 02-06-2019, 11:37 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,507,048 times
I often wonder what the internet will be like 10,20, 50 yrs down the road, when 5G, 6G and beyond come to fruition, Imo, there is a 'fine line' a 'balance point' kind of like a see saw, cannot allow any one side to have TOO MUCH ability/power.

If we start getting into 5 and 6G, who knows what would be possible, someone using a laptop 'could' do just about anything they wanted, there is just no way in hell they will allow 'the people' to have access to such computer power/technology. It would start to impact Govts ability to exert its authority in a HUGE way.

I think thats why many of those old 'this is how the future will be' predictions of the 50s and 60s, never came to fruition, it wasnt because the technology wasnt available and ready, it had more to do with the powers that be, allowing the public access to that kind of technology.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:23 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,908,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
If we start getting into 5 and 6G, who knows what would be possible, someone using a laptop 'could' do just about anything they wanted,

Such as what that they couldn't do now?

Old 02-07-2019, 03:47 PM

50,431 posts, read 24,019,968 times
Heck, I'd just like to have consistently clear phone audio.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:25 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,709,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Heck, I'd just like to have consistently clear phone audio.
I worked in advanced telecom about the time digital cell service came into being. My boss did all kinds of analysis of his analog and digital phones and never stopped burching about how awful the digital quality is.

Some makes and providers have "hi-fi" audio but it only works between compatible phones and carriers. In general, voice and text quality haven't been touched in... fifteen years. Nobody care no more; gimme (giant booming end-of-the-world font) UNLIMITED DATA! [...DATA!] [...DATA!] ...

Old 02-07-2019, 10:33 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,908,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I worked in advanced telecom about the time digital cell service came into being. My boss did all kinds of analysis of his analog and digital phones and never stopped burching about how awful the digital quality is.

I don't know much about cell phones but have messed around with audio a lot including a live audio stream on my server. I forget the name of it but we were using a communication program for gaming since there was at least two people having conversation and then piping the discussions to Icecast on the server for the stream. It was bit backwards because everyone connected to the communication software on the server which gave me the audio feed on my local computer. With the Icecast software on my local computer I captured the audio and sent it back to the Icecast streaming software on my server. It worked though. The communication software only used something like 6kbps codec specifically for voice and it was crystal clear. For the live feed for compatibility I had to use MP3 and I think I had to bump that up to like 64kbps.

In any event this was back in mid 2000's and I fail to see why anyone should ever have poor audio quality, 6kbps is not much faster than 56K modem.

Old 02-08-2019, 04:39 PM

1,087 posts, read 778,536 times
The videos below shows what 5G can do and the current 4G can not do. The big thing is no-delay and large quantity of data transmission over wireless. Just what's needed by the internet of things, such as driverless cars, hologram phones.

Whoever build the 5G processor chips and the 5G network will control the future world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArRWXopUHAQ

Old 02-08-2019, 05:10 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,279,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
The videos below shows what 5G can do and the current 4G can not do. The big thing is no-delay and large quantity of data transmission over wireless. Just what's needed by the internet of things, such as driverless cars, hologram phones.

Whoever build the 5G processor chips and the 5G network will control the future world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArRWXopUHAQ
It is simply a much higher bandwidth pipe of much shorter range. No free lunch. Lots more poles and antennas. I do not think it will actually offer much over fiber internet. The lower latency would be more a parameter of the backbones used for distribution.

The interesting thing in places like Las Vegas is that it will break the local internet monopoly. It has been clear for some years that we were not going to launch competitive connections to every home. But with 5G we do not need to. And Cox and the like will have to become competitive with the new system.

And the use of a common system for phone and home may make some things better.

I see little impact on AV or such. They will adopt some short range communication protocol which may be 5G or something else or they may do the irrational and adopt multiple protocols. But I suspect the parameters may be different enough that it ends up a different system. 5G for the entertainment modules and something else for inter unit communications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology