Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 09:25 PM

932 posts, read 543,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is a big difference, religion is based on faith and a belief that cannot be proven or disproven. We can prove the earth is not flat. I'm not a religious person but would never criticize someone for their faith until they try and argue with me the earth is only 6000 years old.
Flat Earthers and people who have serious belief in religion fall under the same category.

Religion was just a tool to make people behave like humans instead of animals.

Now education is a better tool.

Who needs a landline when you have smartphone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 10:23 PM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotPutFX View Post
Not for nothing, but time zones are a man-made thing.
They’re a man made but created due to the different times the sun rises and sets in different places in the planet, which as the poster stated, would not be the case on a flat planet. Of course he knows time zones are man made, you missed the point.

Old 06-30-2019, 01:55 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
You can blame the scientist and secular liberal community for giving life to the flat Earth society. They wanted to ridicule these people (who have no major influential or executive power at all) and make it public through blog post, mockumentaries, news editorials and so on. Fueling the fire. Now they're amazed it has backfired and the movement became bigger. People like an underdog even in the face of plain facts. So now they have to reconcile with this group for who knows long. They are mentioned in the comment section of almost every major science source as an object of scorn, thus still giving them undue power and attention.

Old 06-30-2019, 03:04 AM

1,456 posts, read 515,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
You can blame the scientist and secular liberal community for giving life to the flat Earth society. They wanted to ridicule these people (who have no major influential or executive power at all) and make it public through blog post, mockumentaries, news editorials and so on. Fueling the fire. Now they're amazed it has backfired and the movement became bigger. People like an underdog even in the face of plain facts. So now they have to reconcile with this group for who knows long. They are mentioned in the comment section of almost every major science source as an object of scorn, thus still giving them undue power and attention.
Does everything nowadays have to be about group bashing? I mean, seriously? Why not stop and consider the fact that we live in a social media driven information age, where information spread is accelerated and widened beyond anything we've ever experienced. The system is so complex that any input could potentially cascade along the network and become a meme, intended or not (by meme I don't mean the captioned images but the actual unit of non-genetic information). A select group of people ignoring something does not guarantee that the spread of a meme would be stopped and often can be the reason for escalation. And to top it all, people have learned how to manipulate certain aspects of this meme propagation, giving buoyancy to all sorts of nonsense. It is not about giving undue attention it is about people knowing how to exploit the network to get attention to begin with.

Once out there, a meme has a life of its own and the blog posts and editorials you are referring to are responses to an already established meme. To suggest that one shouldn't counter nonsense for fear of it spreading is to ignore the fact that it's already spread for it to reach you in the first place, not to mention the fact that you'd be enabling the spread of the cult of ignorance.

The way I see it, this kind of muzzling of facts is what allows for this nonsense to emerge in the first place.

Last edited by Itzpapalotl; 06-30-2019 at 04:22 AM..

Old 06-30-2019, 07:04 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Don't ask me how because I found it casually... The thing is that I was watching a video about Jupiter and other planets and in youtube recommendations I saw a video title: "The Earth is Flat" Just out of curiosity I wanted to know what was exactly the meaning of this video, that was owned by a spanish youtuber. This guy just researched, compiled, explained several sources extracted from websites and other youtube videos with several tests and explanations to demonstrate that the Earth is actually flat. At first, I thought it was like other viral videos, or something that was happening in small circles and I gave no credit at all, thinking that was something like the typical video "real proof angel in skies".

But the more I researched about this topic, the more I realized that the "Flat Earth Theory" is becoming something serious. Let me to explain that... I usually enjoy watching NASA videos of Space Shuttle Launchings but never paid attention to comments section. I couldn't believe that half of them were comments from people believing this "Flat Earth Theory" claiming that all NASA videos are fake. The spanish youtuber, who is even becoming famous in my country, argues that NASA never reached space and all the existing videos and photos are made with computers, because is impossible to go further Earth atmoshpere. Most of the explanations given in the "Flat Earth Theory" are based in observations of facts on Earth, but what shocked me most is that even in NASA videos, half of the comments support this theory.

This is one of the most impressive facts I've seen in my life. I couldn't even think about the possibility that someone can believe today that the Earth is flat. But I realized that this is not like a local sect, in fact, several people around the world actually believe that the Earth is flat!

Although there are parts of Florida which would make you believe that the Earth is flat, I promise you that the Earth is almost a sphere. Generally, the Flat Earth Theory is a pejorative term that liberals use to describe republicans who dispute what has been proven by science.

Old 06-30-2019, 08:37 AM

853 posts, read 648,447 times
Besides there are some individuals taking advantage of all this stuff Flat Earth earning money through published books, conferences and youtube "tithes" (donations) I found they are being harmful to others by harasing content in youtube. Every time I read the comments section of videos published by NASA of their space shuttle launches, I see lots of comments saying this is fake, the earth is flat and so on. They are messing NASA content willfully. They are being disrespectful, rude, childish. They are polluting every NASA video comments section. They are also asking respect when they are not respecting others. As for me, I will be looking at NASA content because is fascinating and I admire their work.

Old 06-30-2019, 11:10 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
I have never understood WHY anyone would like the majority of people to believe one way or another, when it comes to the true shape of the planet..

Whats to gain or benefit in fooling people, if the earth truly is flat...or round for that matter?

With other 'conspiracy theories', its fairly easy to see where the incentive/benefit is, in fooling people into believing something that is not true, but with the flat earth CT...I dont see any??

Old 06-30-2019, 11:26 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
With other 'conspiracy theories', its fairly easy to see where the incentive/benefit is, in fooling people into believing something that is not true, but with the flat earth CT...I dont see any??
Addressed above. They know The Truth, and you don't, and they are therefore superior.

The underlying reason for nearly every belief in human history. Even when a belief somehow diminishes the one who professes it, it's still knowledge - gnosis - that they are privy to and you're not. Win.

Old 06-30-2019, 11:43 AM

50,794 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I have never understood WHY anyone would like the majority of people to believe one way or another, when it comes to the true shape of the planet..

Whats to gain or benefit in fooling people, if the earth truly is flat...or round for that matter?

They aren't doing this to fool people, they actually believe its true and that we've all been lied to by fake science. I don't know what they think the government gets out of this lie, but I'm sure it's on their webpage FAQ's somewhere. The websites are pretty extensive. Give the biblical connection (they say the Bible says the earth is flat), for some the motivation is probably similar to those evangelical groups that say science is wrong about evolution and humans descending from apes or insist that dinosaurs never existed. Insisting the earth is round is an affront to God and all that.

Old 06-30-2019, 11:58 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,762,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't know what they think the government gets out of this lie...
All CTs that are countered by government-based information start with the assertion that the gummint is covering up the truth, usually for some combination of power or control, and because "people would freak out if they knew." When it's not the lizard people masquerading as government officials to start with.

Since Americans have always been a little distrustful of government and the last 40 years have made it positively pathological for an increasing number, it's not something they even have to try to substantiate any more. Of course DC is hiding the aliens, 200mpg carburetors, flat earth cosmogony, etc. Duh.

Even the Warren Commission Report was just a hasty 15-page whitewash, you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology