Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2019, 06:59 AM

853 posts, read 648,144 times

Advertisements

Don't ask me how because I found it casually... The thing is that I was watching a video about Jupiter and other planets and in youtube recommendations I saw a video title: "The Earth is Flat" Just out of curiosity I wanted to know what was exactly the meaning of this video, that was owned by a spanish youtuber. This guy just researched, compiled, explained several sources extracted from websites and other youtube videos with several tests and explanations to demonstrate that the Earth is actually flat. At first, I thought it was like other viral videos, or something that was happening in small circles and I gave no credit at all, thinking that was something like the typical video "real proof angel in skies".

But the more I researched about this topic, the more I realized that the "Flat Earth Theory" is becoming something serious. Let me to explain that... I usually enjoy watching NASA videos of Space Shuttle Launchings but never paid attention to comments section. I couldn't believe that half of them were comments from people believing this "Flat Earth Theory" claiming that all NASA videos are fake. The spanish youtuber, who is even becoming famous in my country, argues that NASA never reached space and all the existing videos and photos are made with computers, because is impossible to go further Earth atmoshpere. Most of the explanations given in the "Flat Earth Theory" are based in observations of facts on Earth, but what shocked me most is that even in NASA videos, half of the comments support this theory.

This is one of the most impressive facts I've seen in my life. I couldn't even think about the possibility that someone can believe today that the Earth is flat. But I realized that this is not like a local sect, in fact, several people around the world actually believe that the Earth is flat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 09:17 AM

33,229 posts, read 26,434,639 times
There are many scientifically illiterate people in the world, and among them are many flat earthers. There's even a flat earth society that promotes the flat earth view around the world.

https://wiki.tfes.org/Flat_Earth_-_F...sked_Questions

It's hard to understand how anyone in the world today can seriously believe the earth is flat, but such people do exist.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:19 AM

15,828 posts, read 6,536,770 times
I wonder how many of these supposed followers are just doing it for a lark? In some sense, I suppose it's no different than believing we're living in a computer simulation.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:40 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Yes, I think many flat earthers are doing it in the spirit of Pastafarianism or the Church of the Subgenius. 5% serious intent, usually about dogma, and 95% screwing with the straights.

But I also think there's a considerable number of flat earthers who are absolutely true believers. Unbelievable.

Old 06-22-2019, 09:29 AM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
I just don't don't understand it. What harm is it being done to the rest of us by the people who believe that the earth is flat ?

Old 06-22-2019, 10:48 AM

853 posts, read 648,144 times
After trying to understand the explanations given to support the "Flat Earth theory" I have to say that those make no sense.

1- They claim that the Earth is surrounded by a giant dome, where did they get this idea? They try to demonstrate this by showing a video where a rocket is unable to escape the Earth atmosphere. This is the only "evidence" they have to prove that the Earth is surrounded by a giant dome, an idea that seems to be extracted from Simpson's movie? What is the dome made of? Have they studied the composition and the nature of the dome? If such dome exists, then what is the origin of it?

2- Because the Earth is flat, the limits of the Earth are somewhat ice walls, being Antarctica something like the perimeter of the flat. You can't go further those limits because the governments invest several amounts of unlimited resources to hide humanity the secret that the planet Earth is flat. They have an oustanding unlimited military presence in all Earth frontiers to hide the "secret". Once again, their evidence is so weak, I can't take it any seriously. The only "evidence" they have to support this ridiculous fact is a picture they got from anywhere in google images showing a pretty small wall surface.

3- Everything related to NASA missions and satellites are fake, and are made by computers, they and other reputable space agencies spends a great amount of money to scam us. Of course, they know it by "analyzing" photos and videos from their houses, this is their true "scientific method". Basically what I understand they are doing is denying anything related with space giving vague arguments without going into details. What is more, I found they are lying. The spanish youtuber says that "there is no evidence" of a space rocket that could reach space, that means, could cross the dome. This is completely false and we have tons of material where you can see a space rocket being launched from the ground to the space without cuts. Everything is fake, even when a tragedy happened, remember Challenger 1986...

4- The Flat Earth Theory is not even a Theory. A theory is a well-substantiated explanation of an aspect of the natural world that incorporates laws, hypotheses and facts. This model is just sustained on pure speculation and vague explanations. Where are your models and equations to describe and sustain your "evidence" Flat-Eathers?

5- There is no gravity, but a natural force that pushes the Earth up indefinitely. This is a good one. So, basically an object is not attracted to Earth but the Earth reaches the object because of a natural force (can you explain me what is causing this pushing up natural force please?) that is pushing the Earth constantly. Again, there is no "evidence" that can support the gravity effects. FALSE. Tons of experiments made daily can explain the simplest facts about gravity forces. I still remember my days at Physics laboratory reproducing the Cavendish experiment, as well as Pendulum experiments, cheap and easily performed by anyone. Also, we have the Newton's formula to measure the attraction force between two objects, F = G*((m1*m2)/r^2), where F is the force of attraction between the two objects, G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 is the mass of the first object, m2 is the mass of the second object and r is the distance between the centers of each object. Can you give me your formula to estimate the pushing force for your Flat Earth model, oh wait you can't...

6- "The Earth if flat because when you are travelling by plane, you can't notice the Earth curvature". This is absolutely ridiculous. A plane travelling at 37,000 feet above the ground is not enough to appreciate the Earth's curvature, is a low distance relative to the Earth's size. Thinking so is enough reason to find this "Theory" hilarious.

7- The water can't adhere to a spherical body. And I couldn't stand and I left after this one because infuriated me so much... Are you trying to be serious? Would you really expect that if you spills water into a small spherical Earth globe the water will stay? The water drops to the Earth, please, study Newton's laws.

After all of this, my conclusions:

- Indeed, these individuals do not possess the most basic knowledge of mathematics and physics. It's quite embarrasing, but is the truth. They fall to understand the Newton's laws, easy demonstrable formulas to calculate the Earth curvature that where developed in Ancient times (this means before Christ).

- Their "evidence" are based on observations and they claim they have a Theory when is pretty obvious that this can't never be considered a Theory, see above.

- Their assumptions are completely wrong and they do not have any way to prove anything at all.

- If they really want and expect people take this "Theory" which is not a theory (point 4) any serious please publish a scientific article. Ey Earth-Flatters or whatever you are, do you know how to do that? probably not, but I actually know because I am currently working in a scientific article that will be published in ScienceDirect.

- I don't know how do these people look like in real life but I wouldn't expect anything further from people believing in UFOS, scientific iliterates and completely ignorant people. What I can see... is weak people, vulnerable that are susceptible to become a member of sects. If they can think that the Earth is flat, they can believe anything.

- I don't know the goals and aims of the leaders of this "Theory" which is not a theory. However, I noticed and is pretty easy to reach the conclusion that this is a completely SCAM. Is pretty obvious they are taking advantage of those poor iliterate people and they are making money scaming poor innocents.

- I realized that those individuals not only lack of basic knowledge of physics and mathematics but they also fail to understand the basic principles of aeronautics. The spanish youtuber, who is only repeating what his leaders said, claim that a space rocket after being launched in vertical, is positioned horizontally after reaching a certain height and then falls to the ground. After that, they merge a simulation made in a studio makins us think they are in space. Again, can't believe how ignorant are those individuals... a space rocket needs to turn horizontal to build up the necessary orbital velocity to reach space. I am pretty sure they don't understand why a plane can even fly, how flaps work...

Finally, to add some lines, I strongly believe this is not more than a scam. And then is time to turn science in psychology. I am afraid and even scared about how weak can be some individuals that are manipulated by scams and sects. This is one of the reasons I am failing my faith in humanity, being aware how some people take advantage of the weak, they are earning a fair amount of money with this scam and at some point I wonder if this can even be considered illegal. I can't avoid thinking that these people are simply ignorant and simply ridiculous, I am so sorry for them, because I find normal that anybody laughs at them, because they are simply iliterates. This is just a joke because nobody nearly intelligent can even take it seriously. To add something related to science to these lines, I now understand what other people said about natural selection among humanity. This "Theory" is just a demonstration that Darwin's natural selection is easily applicable to human being.

Old 06-22-2019, 03:04 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
The answer to your extended question is the same as why people believe any false-to-fact, unverifiable, unprovable thing: because it means they're among the enlightened and you're not. There's no one more insufferable than someone who knows The Truth about the JFK assassination, or Bigfoot, or UFOs, or FOTL... or, in many cases, about Jesus or Mohammed or Charlie Manson.

Flat Earthers are just a particularly rabid and stupid sect in that array. Move on to Rosicrucians next, who publish all their sixth-grade-level materials in large, easy to read fonts.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:44 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Of course it's flat. If it were round people on the other side the earth would fall up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I wonder how many of these supposed followers are just doing it for a lark?

I get that impression but I'm also sure may of them actually believe it is flat.

Old 06-23-2019, 04:48 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Churches are packed every Sunday but you are astonished at how people can believe the earth is flat.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:01 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Churches are packed every Sunday but you are astonished at how people can believe the earth is flat.

There is a big difference, religion is based on faith and a belief that cannot be proven or disproven. We can prove the earth is not flat. I'm not a religious person but would never criticize someone for their faith until they try and argue with me the earth is only 6000 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology