Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 01:42 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotPutFX View Post
That's a simpleton view. It assumes that ALL things can just be reduced to the level of a belief. And I know you're not talking about this from a lofty metaphysical perspective. It's clear your coming from a pseudo-political/personal power perspective.

Some things have been proven via rigorous scientific methods.

Some things spring out of eons of mythology.

And a whole lotta things are in between.

On that spectrum, while still admitting you can "believe" whatever gets your rocks off, it's often not OK to ACT on every belief you claim to have, and more importantly, to insist they be held to the same level of respect as all others.

Now you can choose to believe what I believe or not, and that's fine. We need future generations of French-fry makers to exploit too...while they meet after their shift to trade stories of a flat earth.
You have involve in some sort of personality analysis and lecture, and that is fine with me. But I will explain, like I have done numerous times already, my simpleton view on the subset of this thread "about people who believe the earth is flat":

a. What harm is it done to you, me, or anybody else, by a group of people who believe the earth is flat?

b. To me it makes no difference what the person's beliefs are, unless such beliefs become harmful acts.

c. If I (taking about myself) were to condemn one group of people because of their beliefs, then I can't ignore that there are a great number of beliefs by groups of people around the world. Should I condemn only one group of people based on their beliefs?

d. We have laws that are designed to protect the people from harmful acts by other people, but there is no law against "beliefs."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2019, 01:53 PM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
You have involve in some sort of personality analysis and lecture, and that is fine with me. But I will explain, like I have done numerous times already, my simpleton view on the subset of this thread "about people who believe the earth is flat":

a. What harm is it done to you, me, or anybody else, by a group of people who believe the earth is flat?

b. To me it makes no difference what the person's beliefs are, unless such beliefs become harmful acts.

c. If I (taking about myself) were to condemn one group of people because of their beliefs, then I can't ignore that there are a great number of beliefs by groups of people around the world. Should I condemn only one group of people based on their beliefs?

d. We have laws that are designed to protect the people from harmful acts by other people, but there is no law against "beliefs."

Several of us have repeated the harm multiple, multiple times. It is harmful to society to convince people that what's real is faked and not to believe science books and that truth is lies.

You are the only person who keeps continually bringing the law into it, not a single person here has stated anything they are doing is or should be illegal.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 06-30-2019 at 03:18 PM..

Old 06-30-2019, 02:16 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
None.

Quote:
Exactly.

All of which has been said repeatedly in this thread, and you keep trying to make it into some mouth-breathing witch hunt by the thought police.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:39 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
I believe the earth is round because that's what I've been told. I haven't and won't look into the science myself. People believing the earth is flat aren't harming anything.

Old 07-01-2019, 01:33 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I believe the earth is round because that's what I've been told. I haven't and won't look into the science myself. People believing the earth is flat aren't harming anything.
Thats the way I see it too, if they believe that its truly flat...well, good for them, doesnt impact what I believe or what other people believe.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:58 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I wonder how many of these supposed followers are just doing it for a lark? In some sense, I suppose it's no different than believing we're living in a computer simulation.
I've encountered quite a lot of them, and no - it's not a lark for them. They're dead serious. They are invariably profoundly stupid people, who have a tendency to quickly become very angry, nasty, and insulting when challenged by a logical argument.

There's something very, very wrong with these people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Several of us have repeated the harm multiple, multiple times. It is harmful to society to convince people that what's real is faked and not to believe science books and that truth is lies.

You are the only person who keeps continually bringing the law into it, not a single person here has stated anything they are doing is or should be illegal.
These cretins make the world I live in a more stupid place, and contribute to a disturbing trend in our society toward a general rejection of science and education. They drag all of society back a little bit, and they're my enemies because of it.

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 07-04-2019 at 02:24 AM..

Old 07-04-2019, 09:14 AM

853 posts, read 647,636 times
I told my mother, who is a retired History teacher in a High School, about that. She was laughing, she couldn't believe that today they were people thinking that the Earth is flat. She told me that this issue was even solved by the times of Galileo Galilei and has been proven several times during expeditions through Pacific Ocean. In fact, even since Ancient Greek, we already know that the earth is not flat, but spherical. Today we know that the trully shape of the Earth, and therefore the exact term is: oblate spheroid.

Out of curiousity, or just because I was bored, I followed the spanish guy, representative of the Earth Flat movement (or Earth-Flatters) in Spain. He became an absolutely denialist, He is not only convinced that the Earth is not spherical but also we have been cheated about the existence of dinosaurs, NASA and other space agencies, evolution is false, etc. There was a radio interview to this guy, who is just around 25 years old, studied laws, and he didn't upload this interview to his youtube channel for obvious reasons. He was utterly ridiculed. In his book, he even claimed that Michelle Obama is a man!. The interviewers told him He was a male chauvinist and they wondered why He had such an obsolete way of thinking, that It was like somebody from 2000 years ago was trying to speak them. He was ridiculed because one of the interviewers told him He did the Eratosthenes experiment to measure the Earth curvature when He was at High School, getting the same result in Madrid and Canary Islands (because some students were there). At this point the interview was funny because the interviewer asked him "can you explain me how Eratosthenes from 200 b.c. can be part of the NASA conspiracy and I am also a part of this conspiracy"? This guy claimed "this expertiment doesn't confirm anything" and the interviewer said of course it does, I tried and I get the same result in 2 different places. The Earth-Flatter guy then jumped to no-sense statements from Neil de Grasse Tyson and the interviewer repplied: "Do you believe in de Grasse who is part of the conspiracy"? He struggled completely.

Today this guy is making a fair amount of money. In one of his videos, most of people laughed at him because he claimed the Earth is flat demonstrated because the videogame Fortnite shows it, along with the dome. Some commentators stated: "seriously, now we have as a proof of Flat Earth thing a videogame?" His most recent videos are full of no-sense material such as: dinosaurs didn't exist, there were no evolution, the moon doesn't exist, reptilians, the mysterious giant guys in the Bible, the dome, and other Bible stuff. Lots of commentators look his videos as humorous.

Old 07-11-2019, 01:32 AM

1,487 posts, read 781,364 times
There's a Netflix show called 'Behind the Curve" which chronicles the group which calls themselves "Flat Earthers". Most of them seem to have personality disorders, and they are diggin' all the media attention their ridiculous claim has generated. What's more, some members of the group conducted a few tests, and every time their flat earth concept was disproven, they wouldn't accept the truth, instead claiming some element of the test was 'off.'
They are ridiculous, mentally disturbed, and not worth another minute of my time, your time, any rational human being's time.

Old 07-13-2019, 06:14 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,872,571 times
Facts are not up for "belief" like the Easter Bunny. The consequences of ignorance aren't always obvious.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:39 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Hmmmm....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology