Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 09:04 AM

3,647 posts, read 1,602,875 times

Advertisements

I will believe the flat earthers if they prove it. They need to organize a joint project with globe eathers and shoot a rocket far enough into space with live video coming back and view the earth from a distance. Must be a joint project with cameras on the rocket installed by both sides. No gov involvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 11:24 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
I will believe the flat earthers if they prove it. They need to organize a joint project with globe eathers and shoot a rocket far enough into space with live video coming back and view the earth from a distance. Must be a joint project with cameras on the rocket installed by both sides. No gov involvement.
Its hard to believe one of them has not done this by now? with modern GoPro cameras, it wouldnt be that expensive to send up something to take pictures and video, heck, they could do this in their own backyard, without Govt even knowing they are doing it!!

I havent read thru every post in here, but are there actually any people on CD that believe the earth is truly flat? Surely there is at least one or two.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:17 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james112 View Post
all that would prove is the earth is shaped like a Frisbee, a flat frisbee

Old 07-18-2019, 03:52 PM

33,230 posts, read 26,455,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its hard to believe one of them has not done this by now? with modern GoPro cameras, it wouldnt be that expensive to send up something to take pictures and video, heck, they could do this in their own backyard, without Govt even knowing they are doing it!!

I havent read thru every post in here, but are there actually any people on CD that believe the earth is truly flat? Surely there is at least one or two.
I don't think you realize just how hard it is to get a rocket into even earth orbit, much less building one able to escape earth orbit. It's not a backyard project. To my knowledge, no amateur effort has ever achieved earth orbit. In 2004 an amateur attempt reached 100 kilometers (62 miles). Another attempt reached 72 miles in altitude, also in 2004.
High Altitude Amateur Rocket Records
72 miles (116 km) - May 17, 2004 - Black Rock, Nevada - Led by Ky Michaelson (The Rocketman), the Civilian Space eXploration Team flew the 21-foot ‘Go Fast’ rocket using a solid fuel motor. The team included Derek Deville and Korey Kline of the propulsion company eAc *. Further data to be released will put a confidence interval on the altitude estimate.

HobbySpace - Rocketry

Old 07-22-2019, 08:07 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Default lunar eclipse

The shadow of the Earth on the Moon during a lunar eclipse is always a dark circle that moves from one side of the Moon to the other (partially grazing it during a partial eclipse). This could be produced by a flat disc that always faces the Moon head-on during the eclipse, but this is inconsistent with the fact that the Moon is only rarely directly overhead during an eclipse. The only shape that casts a round shadow no matter which direction it is pointed is a sphere, and the ancient Greeks deduced that this must mean the Earth is spherical.

Old 07-22-2019, 08:23 PM

1,210 posts, read 889,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge ChemE View Post
Don't ask me how because I found it casually... The thing is that I was watching a video about Jupiter and other planets and in youtube recommendations I saw a video title: "The Earth is Flat" Just out of curiosity I wanted to know what was exactly the meaning of this video, that was owned by a spanish youtuber. This guy just researched, compiled, explained several sources extracted from websites and other youtube videos with several tests and explanations to demonstrate that the Earth is actually flat. At first, I thought it was like other viral videos, or something that was happening in small circles and I gave no credit at all, thinking that was something like the typical video "real proof angel in skies".

But the more I researched about this topic, the more I realized that the "Flat Earth Theory" is becoming something serious. Let me to explain that... I usually enjoy watching NASA videos of Space Shuttle Launchings but never paid attention to comments section. I couldn't believe that half of them were comments from people believing this "Flat Earth Theory" claiming that all NASA videos are fake. The spanish youtuber, who is even becoming famous in my country, argues that NASA never reached space and all the existing videos and photos are made with computers, because is impossible to go further Earth atmoshpere. Most of the explanations given in the "Flat Earth Theory" are based in observations of facts on Earth, but what shocked me most is that even in NASA videos, half of the comments support this theory.

This is one of the most impressive facts I've seen in my life. I couldn't even think about the possibility that someone can believe today that the Earth is flat. But I realized that this is not like a local sect, in fact, several people around the world actually believe that the Earth is flat!
There are PhDs in Physics that believe in talking snakes.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:31 AM

99 posts, read 56,952 times
Anyone who payed attention in their high school physics class knows that the maths don’t support a flat earth or anything surrounding the barest-bones of the hypothesis it is. Don’t bother with it unless you’re looking for a study of human gullibility.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:21 AM

408 posts, read 259,894 times
I have driven through Kansas. It would no take that much to get me to change my mind regarding the circumference of the earth.

Seriously, I have never personally met anyone who said that they believed in a flat earth. If I did and they were otherwise sane, then I think that I would hang out with them. If for nothing else, so I can tell everyone else about them.

I am surprised that the moon landing is questioned, but to each their own. Neither belief is going to bother me or cause the end of our species.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:43 PM

15,840 posts, read 6,547,612 times
Is Mars flat? Every lander we send there appears to show a flat disk. Hmm.

Old 09-22-2019, 10:40 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,989,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoge View Post
I have driven through Kansas. It would no take that much to get me to change my mind regarding the circumference of the earth.

Seriously, I have never personally met anyone who said that they believed in a flat earth. If I did and they were otherwise sane, then I think that I would hang out with them. If for nothing else, so I can tell everyone else about them.

I am surprised that the moon landing is questioned, but to each their own. Neither belief is going to bother me or cause the end of our species.
I'm not so sure. Then again, such a belief doesn't seem to interfere with libido.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Is Mars flat? Every lander we send there appears to show a flat disk. Hmm.
Aah but you see, all this Mars lander stuff is part of the hoax to keep us from knowing the truth about the earth being flat. It's all very logical you see, it's like this - never mind, I need a drink!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology