Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2019, 09:39 AM

2,319 posts, read 2,169,630 times

Advertisements

I just realized that: even if Google calendar has the button to let user choose Never End, BUT it actually ends after 730 occurrences. I have tested on a daily event and weekly event, both of them only last for 730 occurrences.

I have noticed the maximum of occurrences, since I have a daily event on Google Calendar, now suddenly realize that Google has not send me reminder for a while, then I found out the event ends on May 19. So there is no such thing Never End in Google Calendar, the feature is misleading.

I have tested an daily event on Outlook calendar, not sure if it lasts forever, but at least it is still there when I check a future month (many years after today).

My question: Why Google Calendar does not allow users to unlimited occurrences? Is it technical challenge?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2019, 09:49 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
If 730 occurrences won't do it, nothing will.

I assume it's a more or less arbitrary limit, set by programming dictates or just as a reasonable number. It could well be 365 or 36,500. About two years on a daily basis seems reasonable to me.

Database size and management also comes to mind. I can't imagine what would happen if millions of users had hundreds of events that repeated forever. Capping such serial strings at around 10 years is probably a management issue.

Old 06-21-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
If 730 occurrences won't do it, nothing will.

I assume it's a more or less arbitrary limit, set by programming dictates or just as a reasonable number. It could well be 365 or 36,500. About two years on a daily basis seems reasonable to me.
You think 730 is reasonable? Something does need to last for many years, I almost put everything on Google Calendar, for example, I want to remind myself of facial skin care before going to bed. It is an event which should last for more than 2 years. I actually have quite a few weekly events(set as Never End).

The bigger issue is: the feature Never End is misleading. It should state the system can only accept 730 occurrences.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:06 AM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post
You think 730 is reasonable?
Someone with far greater powers than I does.

I'm pretty sure all calendar programs, web or local, have limitations on 'forever' and span. I don't see 730 iterations of something as a crippling limitation.

Quote:
Something does need to last for many years, I almost put everything on Google Calendar, for example, I want to remind myself of facial skin care before going to bed. It is an event which should last for more than 2 years. I actually have quite a few weekly events(set as Never End).
If you can't remember to reset a daily reminder every year or two, the problem is not GC's limitations.

If it didn't occur to you to set up two, or three, or five events that serially handle the reminder (say, "for a year" five times in a row), you need to think outside the box.

Quote:
The bigger issue is: the feature Never End is misleading. It should state the system can only accept 730 occurrences.
I'd sue the bastards and demand my money back.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post

I'd sue the bastards and demand my money back.
What money? It is free service. I am not complaining, from technical stand point, I am just don't understand why 730 is the maximum. For me, the maximum number should be at least make sense theoretically. If maximum 36500 occurrences, then it is 100 years for a daily event, for most people's life expectation, it is fine. But two years? It is just too short.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:23 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Maybe Google knows the Vogons will come in two years and destroy the Earth.

Actually, a question like yours is best addressed to Google. It is a decent enough question, but any answer here is going to be a guess.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:32 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post
You think 730 is reasonable? Something does need to last for many years, I almost put everything on Google Calendar, for example, I want to remind myself of facial skin care before going to bed. It is an event which should last for more than 2 years. I actually have quite a few weekly events(set as Never End).

What's reasonable is subjective. I think the big "miss" here is the lack of notice when you create the calendar to let you know that there is a limit.

As for the reasons of that limit - if you really want to know, you may want to search the Gsuite communities or post something there. I suspect it has more to do with tieing up loose ends within the API. Since you probably will have limits on the number of events - period, they have to put some boundaries in place. But that's just a wild guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology