Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 08:19 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
The landlines are pathetic where I live. Always static and outages 2 or three times a year. I have no phone jacks in my home.
I'm attempting yet AGAIN to install my all-in-one fax/scanner/printer. The instructions specifically mention to install into a PHONE JACK! WTH. My house is 100 years old and even IT does not have any. Did they just rip them out at some point or cover them up with drywall? How many homes still have the simple phone jack in their homes? Mine appears to have ZERO. I just found a "phone jack", but it looks like it was overtaken by the computer internet connection. I plugged my phone plug into one of the pieces that connects to the remade jack. I hope that it works.

Last edited by Hopeful for Life; 09-10-2019 at 08:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 08:46 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,041,398 times
My 1970’s era house had phone jacks all over the place. As I have painted and done minor remodels to the house I have been pulling them out and patching the holes. There might still be one in a spare room somewhere, buton,y because I haven’t gotten to it.

I haven’t used copper wire phone service since 2002. I am surprised that you have a multifunction device that requires a phone jack (RJ11). It is far more likely that your printer needs an RJ45 Ethernet jack, which is entirely different. You need to find a way to get the printer hooked up to your router.

Old 09-11-2019, 05:41 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,280,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesscause View Post
I'm attempting yet AGAIN to install my all-in-one fax/scanner/printer. The instructions specifically mention to install into a PHONE JACK! WTH. My house is 100 years old and even IT does not have any. Did they just rip them out at some point or cover them up with drywall? How many homes still have the simple phone jack in their homes? Mine appears to have ZERO. I just found a "phone jack", but it looks like it was overtaken by the computer internet connection. I plugged my phone plug into one of the pieces that connects to the remade jack. I hope that it works.
But unless you actually are looking to use the fax functionality, you don't need to plug the phone jack in. Just use the ethernet jack to connect it to your network (or skip that and connect it via wifi).

Most places will have other options as opposed to using a fax machine (email, file sharing, etc.).

Phone jacks still have their use. It allows you to use older phones. Even if you are now on a VoIP subscription (no POTS service), you just need to plug your ATA or SIP router to one of your phone jacks. This will make all of your phone jacks live (as long as they all terminate to the same line).

Old 09-11-2019, 09:00 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
I feel like I'm reading a post from 1995.

If you get your "landline' from your Internet company that is not a true 'landline', just an FYI.

Quote:
I'm attempting yet AGAIN to install my all-in-one fax/scanner/printer. The instructions specifically mention to install into a PHONE JACK!
Why? Do you NEED a fax machine?

Here: https://www.srfax.com/plans/find-a-plan/

Old 09-11-2019, 10:20 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Right. There has to be at least one phone jack. We have a single phone jack at our house. For any of our cordless landline phones, the base has to be connected to the jack for phone service and to recharge the cordless units. I could be wrong, but I've never seen any cordless systems that don't use a base connected to a phone jack. We have a duplex plugged into a single wall jack so we can use one side for the phone and the other for internet access at home.
No, there is no need for any phone jacks on any walls. Our cordless base is plugged directly into the into jack on the cable modem/router. If you wanted to use corded phones, a phone cable would go from the modem to the wall then the other wall outlets would be live, if there are any. Our house is older (1980) but we took them all out.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:32 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
True, but the one jack doesn't have to be installed in the house, and that's what the OP was asking about. The wired data (or telephone) port can be provided on the modem from the Internet provider. It is no longer necessary to install any wired ports in the home, although it might be tidier to do so, if one has an aversion to cable clutter.
You can plug a DECT 6.0 into the jack in your telephony modem to get a VOIP signal and operate up to a dozen handsets around the home where each handset is plugged into a power outlet.

Here is a unit with 6 handsets for $169.75 that also allows you to use your cell phone in addition or instead of (your choice) to the VOIP via your cable.
https://www.vtechphones.com/store/pd...D-Call-Waiting

Old 09-11-2019, 07:46 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,541,713 times
Quote:
I hate to ask this question but what kind of phone service do you have? Do you have internet or not?

If you have internet you can purchase OOMA and then you will have your phone jack in the back of the device.
https://www.ooma.com/home-phone/voip-home-phone/

If you do not have internet, you can purchase Wireless Home Phone service which will give you the jack in the back of the device.
https://www.verizonwireless.com/home...ss-home-phone/

Old 09-11-2019, 10:22 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I hate to ask this question but what kind of phone service do you have? Do you have internet or not?

If you have internet you can purchase OOMA and then you will have your phone jack in the back of the device.
https://www.ooma.com/home-phone/voip-home-phone/

If you do not have internet, you can purchase Wireless Home Phone service which will give you the jack in the back of the device.
https://www.verizonwireless.com/home...ss-home-phone/
The “phone jack” had a metal screw looking thing coming out of it which connected to the modem. The modem had a PHONE LINE socket which I used to plug the fax “phone cord” into- Solution Found.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:26 PM

1,781 posts, read 1,204,879 times
Many businesses use POTS lines still.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:09 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,632,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
No, there is no need for any phone jacks on any walls. Our cordless base is plugged directly into the into jack on the cable modem/router. If you wanted to use corded phones, a phone cable would go from the modem to the wall then the other wall outlets would be live, if there are any. Our house is older (1980) but we took them all out.
Okay, I get what you're saying. Still, as you said, something must be going into an outlet in the wall, it's just not a typical phone jack. What's what's modem/router connected to? A cable jack? Satellite dish? Something else? I understand you had all jacks taken out. The modem/router doesn't need to be plugged into anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology