Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 06:09 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,781,141 times

Advertisements

Is there any known theoretical limit to the magnetic field strength of permanent magnets?

Neodymium permanent magnets are becoming stronger by the years, in 2019 the highest grade of neodymium permanent magnets is N54. Other kinds of permanent magnets made from other materials are also being researched.

Given that in a system where an electromagnet made from an air core coil (electromagnet without a ferromagnetic or ferrimagnetic core) is in repulsion against a permanent magnet, the stronger is the magnetic field of the permanent magnet the stronger will be the force of repulsion between the electromagnet and the permanent magnet, with the watts of the direct current (DC) in the electromagnet being kept the same, then the only limit to the mechanical energy output that can be achieved from a rapid pulse of electricity to the air core coil is the theoretical limit to the magnetic field strength of permanent magnets...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 08:47 AM

you are my big loves

Old 08-13-2019, 01:09 PM

2,269 posts, read 1,636,580 times
Magnetism is, to me, such an incredible mystery, a true invisible “force”. I have no answer to your question but had wondered about the ultimate strength of any magnetic field, whether things start to unravel so to speak. Here’s one of the interesting articles I found.

https://wtamu.edu/~cbaird/sq/mobile/...there-a-limit/

Old 08-13-2019, 02:48 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
Materials-wise, you can only cram so many atoms into a volume, so the magnetic field should have a maximum possible potential.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:57 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
I don't really know much about the physics of magnetism, but I expect that:

1) There is in fact a theoretical maximum field strength.

2) No currently available magnets even come close to approaching that theoretical maximum.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I don't really know much about the physics of magnetism, but I expect that:

1) There is in fact a theoretical maximum field strength.

2) No currently available magnets even come close to approaching that theoretical maximum.

I agree with you, so that means we have A LOT of room to improve the mechanical energy output from fast-pulse repulsion (FPR) between permanent magnets and air core coils in the next few years.

Old 08-16-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
I agree with you, so that means we have A LOT of room to improve the mechanical energy output from fast-pulse repulsion (FPR) between permanent magnets and air core coils in the next few years.

and just reminding that after improving the mechanical energy output it is possible to convert that mechanical energy to other kinds of energy, like converting it to electrical energy, for example

ooops, I didn't say anything

Old 10-02-2019, 11:30 AM

For the purpose of magnetic REPULSION maybe using the Meissner effect of SUPERCONDUCTORS could have better results than neodymium magnets... Superconductors would repeal the magnetic field of air core coils when the coils are turned "on", right? Superdiamagnetism...

What you think?

Old 11-20-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
For the purpose of magnetic REPULSION maybe using the Meissner effect of SUPERCONDUCTORS could have better results than neodymium magnets... Superconductors would repeal the magnetic field of air core coils when the coils are turned "on", right? Superdiamagnetism...

What you think?
I guess using superconductors would be cheaper than using neodymium magnets, at least considering the current costs of neodymium magnets

Old 01-24-2020, 07:56 AM

Quote:
the only limit to the mechanical energy output that can be achieved from a rapid pulse of electricity to the air core coil is the theoretical limit to the magnetic field strength of permanent magnets...

The closer the coil is from the permanent magnet, the stronger will be the repulsion, and when the coil is repealed and moves the farther it gets from the permanent magnet the weaker the repulsion will become.

That's why I guess a fast pulse with very short duration in time, but with stronger current and tension (amperes and volts), is better than a pulse with longer duration in time but weaker current and tension (amperes and volts), if the total of joules of electricity spent are the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology