U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 12:21 PM

17,096 posts, read 30,267,365 times

Advertisements

I just don't understand why some people believe that any online "service" is free. There is no such thing as a free lunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 09:01 PM

957 posts, read 461,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
I just don't understand why some people believe that any online "service" is free. There is no such thing as a free lunch
Well youtube used to have NO ADS

then it got 1 skipable ads

Then unskipable ads

now 2 unskipable ads

...you see a trend yet??

Old 03-10-2020, 09:07 PM

Ask yourself if a big Corporation should be able to drive their trucks on the road faster than you are permitted to drive as a private citizen?

What if it was virtually free to drive 15 mph

But for every extra mile per hour you drove you had to pay more

So you can drive 100mph if you can afford it while poor people are restricted to 15mph

The repeal of net neutrality laws put the ISP's in charge of how fast you are allowed to "drive" online and thus free travel will dissapear as the corporations have no incentive to maintain an unprofitable system Unlike the government that specializes in maintaining little to no profit systems for the public good

Old 03-11-2020, 12:03 PM

41,833 posts, read 43,637,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
Ask yourself if a big Corporation should be able to drive their trucks on the road faster than you are permitted to drive as a private citizen?

Once again you are demonstrating your lack of understanding about NN. Under NN if you want to drive faster you pay more.

1)ISP Customer has 10mbps connection, content provider has 20mbps. Customer receives data at 10mbps, NN achieved.
2)ISP Customer has 20mbps connection, content provider has 10mbps. Customer receives data at 10mbps, NN achieved.
3)ISP Customer has 20mbps connection, 2 content providers have 20mbps connection and customer only gets 20mbps from one and 10 from the other. NN is NOT achieved.

Now if you want to follow along with the road analogy the ISP controls your local road network connecting to the big highways paid for by content providers. There is no speed limit on this road for trucks delivering goods to your house. The maximum speed is set by how much you pay. As long as the delivery company is paying for a truck that go as fast as your speed limit on it's own road network it will be able to travel at that speed when it hits you local network.

None of this breaks the NN rules. Where it would break the NN priciple is if your ISP was slowing trucks that can move at greater speed in favor of others -OR- allowing some trucks to travel faster than the speed you paid for.

Get it?

Last edited by thecoalman; 03-11-2020 at 12:13 PM..

Old 03-11-2020, 12:16 PM

5,127 posts, read 2,010,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Get it?
You'll make more headway trying to teach a cat to bark.

Old 03-20-2020, 05:24 PM

Google never wanted the isp to be all-powerful but they were definitely looking at getting into the game and once the ISP took over they could at least use it to their advantage as the primary big corporate Power House

"Google's stance on net neutrality is being called into question again this week after revelations that the company engaged in a little bit of doublespeak when it comes to the new Google Fiber network"

https://gizmodo.com/googles-sordid-h...-977444255/all

7/31/13

Old 03-20-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Once again you are demonstrating your lack of understanding about NN. Under NN if you want to drive faster you pay more.

1)ISP Customer has 10mbps connection, content provider has 20mbps. Customer receives data at 10mbps, NN achieved.
2)ISP Customer has 20mbps connection, content provider has 10mbps. Customer receives data at 10mbps, NN achieved.
3)ISP Customer has 20mbps connection, 2 content providers have 20mbps connection and customer only gets 20mbps from one and 10 from the other. NN is NOT achieved.

Now if you want to follow along with the road analogy the ISP controls your local road network connecting to the big highways paid for by content providers. There is no speed limit on this road for trucks delivering goods to your house. The maximum speed is set by how much you pay. As long as the delivery company is paying for a truck that go as fast as your speed limit on it's own road network it will be able to travel at that speed when it hits you local network.

None of this breaks the NN rules. Where it would break the NN priciple is if your ISP was slowing trucks that can move at greater speed in favor of others -OR- allowing some trucks to travel faster than the speed you paid for.

Get it?
Yeah i get the fact that you dont have the publics best interests in mind and tow the typical corporate line

that's okay

this aspect of internet empowerment will go down in history as the corporate clutch it is

Everybody knows the dismantling of Obama's protections empowered the mega monopoly we experience today

notice all the ads on YouTube lately?

Old 03-21-2020, 04:30 PM

3,071 posts, read 2,932,050 times
Quote:
Yeah i get the fact that you dont have the publics best interests in mind and tow the typical corporate line

that's okay

this aspect of internet empowerment will go down in history as the corporate clutch it is

Everybody knows the dismantling of Obama's protections empowered the mega monopoly we experience today

notice all the ads on YouTube lately?
Never seen an ad on youtube. That's what ad blockers are for. I notice no difference in my internet since NN experienced its richly deserved death.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
Never seen an ad on youtube. That's what ad blockers are for. I notice no difference in my internet since NN experienced its richly deserved death.
So you submitted to a special permission ap so you could avoid ads on the google MONSTER??

Old 03-21-2020, 10:30 PM

41,833 posts, read 43,637,137 times
Quote:
Google never wanted the isp to be all-powerful but they were definitely looking at getting into the game and once the ISP took over they could at least use it to their advantage as the primary big corporate Power House

"Google's stance on net neutrality is being called into question again this week after revelations that the company engaged in a little bit of doublespeak when it comes to the new Google Fiber network"

https://gizmodo.com/googles-sordid-h...-977444255/all

7/31/13

Nearly every residential ISP is going to have restrictions on running a server. This is not something new and these types of restrictions go back to the 90's. A gaming server can be a bit of gray area but larger a motto point since any modern game has it's own servers.

Quote:

As someone who serves web content I have a financial interest in the internet remaining neutral, it's just as important if not more important to me. Thus far if I want to compete with Youtube on the same level of deliverabilityof content I can do that.

As I have already mentioned the only thing I have seen so far that would break the NN principle is for example bundling video services with cell phone packages would not count against the data cap. That is something that goes against the NN principle. The irony as far as pertains to your lack of understanding of this topic is they are competitors against Youtube.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology