Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 07:11 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boer View Post
How come there are no YouTube competitors?

Because they would be competing against a well established service that works well and makes no profit.

Quote:
The ability to block filter and throttle content on the Internet is something the isps have been lusting for for many years and until the Netflix Fiasco no one even knew what they were up to

Actually if you knew the history of this there is more than a few cases. There is legitimate reasons for them to prioritize/throttle traffic when you have time sensitive data transfers like VOIP for example. Stock traders is another example, I believe most of that is done of over private networks but under NN that leaves out anyone with common connection. A doctor across the country participating in surgery via video? I'm sure you could agree that if someone is dying on the emergency room table little Johhny can wait a few extra minutes for his game to download if the network is clogged.

It's not so cut and dried, obviously services like Youtube don't fall into this category and the NN rules could apply.

I haven't hear any complaints about connectivity to sites and services since these rules were dropped. I pay for bot Comcast at one house and Verizon DSL at another. I access Comcast video services at the other house through Verizon, if there is any service Verizon would want to throttle it would be competing video service from another ISP.

I also doubt the ISP's will go overboard, the government giveth and the government can taketh away.... They are not going to build a business model that is dependent on no NN rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 08:52 AM

1,031 posts, read 638,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Because it is an Android phone... Guess who is the principle implementor of Android? This is like asking why Ford isn't selling cars with Chevy engines... duh.

You don't have to use it.... you can always use a different alternative app. Google isn't stopping you.
LOL

Its a samsung phone slaved to google

i can put a Chevy engine in my ford if i want

I cant delete google from my samsung phone

Old 08-25-2019, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Because they would be competing against a well established service that works well and makes no profit.

Actually if you knew the history of this there is more than a few cases. There is legitimate reasons for them to prioritize/throttle traffic when you have time sensitive data transfers like VOIP for example. Stock traders is another example, I believe most of that is done of over private networks but under NN that leaves out anyone with common connection. A doctor across the country participating in surgery via video? I'm sure you could agree that if someone is dying on the emergency room table little Johhny can wait a few extra minutes for his game to download if the network is clogged.

It's not so cut and dried, obviously services like Youtube don't fall into this category and the NN rules could apply.

I haven't hear any complaints about connectivity to sites and services since these rules were dropped. I pay for bot Comcast at one house and Verizon DSL at another. I access Comcast video services at the other house through Verizon, if there is any service Verizon would want to throttle it would be competing video service from another ISP.

I also doubt the ISP's will go overboard, the government giveth and the government can taketh away.... They are not going to build a business model that is dependent on no NN rules.

Do you actually believe that YouTube makes no profit?

A free and open internet would have hundreds of free video streaming services

Not 1 dominated by the corporation that fine paid the largest fines in world history for Monopoly attempts in Europe

Have you not noticed the incredible escalation in advertisements on YouTube?

I bet this Christmas season you will see three to five on skippable ads before 30 second video

This kind of action is not possible unless you have total Market domination and total Market domination is not possible without the repeal of net neutrality laws that allow an ISP to block filter and throttle your competitor

Old 08-25-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Do you actually believe that YouTube makes no profit?

This is based on filings by Google and expert analysts in the industry. They are in it for the long haul, this would be like owning NBC in the mid forties. It may not be making a profit now but some day it will and has by far the best brand recognition.

Quote:
A free and open internet would have hundreds of free video streaming services
I offer video uploads on my own site but it's limited. If I start running out of space a video of your kids birthday is the first to get the axe. The only thing I guarantee is videos for the topic at hand which of course is coal. If anything these videos would be drain because they require so many resources relative to basic pages but I have the extra space and resources at the moment.

Quote:
Have you not noticed the incredible escalation in advertisements on YouTube?
It's a free service, go find some other service or pay for one.

Quote:

This kind of action is not possible unless you have total Market domination and total Market domination is not possible without the repeal of net neutrality laws that allow an ISP to block filter and throttle your competitor.
You keep saying this yet offer no examples of that occurring.

Once again what do you propose doing? Youtube has a better chance to dominate with NN that without.

Old 08-29-2019, 07:25 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Again with Doomsday Spies and ad paranoia. Stop smoking that crap you buy from Gerardo on the corner. It's laced.

Old 08-30-2019, 10:26 AM

you guys are in for a shock

this Christmas season you are going to get more ads than you ever dreamed of on your YouTube feed

sooner or later even you will discover that you're being taken as fools thanks to the Google Monsters crushing Monopoly on internet video

Old 12-26-2019, 01:49 PM

Well Christmas is over and we now have TWO ads before a youtube video

When will America wake up

3..4 ads

Unskipable ads??

Internet monopoly 101

Old 12-26-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Well Christmas is over and we now have TWO ads before a youtube video

When will America wake up

3..4 ads

Unskipable ads??

Internet monopoly 101

Here you go, ad problem solved.

https://www.youtube.com/premium

Old 12-29-2019, 05:05 AM

1,456 posts, read 515,540 times
Quote:

A single free adblocker add-on will do the job.

Old 01-01-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:

LOL

Yes "ad problem solved"

As you capitulate to their terms for payment for access to something that was free

How about paying for the privilege of shopping on Amazon?

Or checking the weather?

how about reading your texts?

However some consider paying for a website that has no competition for some inexplicable reason a foolish idea

Almost as dumb as paying to watch youtube without commercial interruption
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology