U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 12:20 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,363,155 times

Advertisements

Since I first posted this thread nearly 4 months ago, I'm happy to report that the extreme drop in robocalls continues. It's a relief after getting 7-10 a day. Still get the occasional one, usually looking like it's local, but I don't answer and the Nomorobo service I have kills them after the first ring.

Yippee!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 12:05 PM

5,265 posts, read 8,266,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Since I first posted this thread nearly 4 months ago, I'm happy to report that the extreme drop in robocalls continues. It's a relief after getting 7-10 a day. Still get the occasional one, usually looking like it's local, but I don't answer and the Nomorobo service I have kills them after the first ring.

Yippee!
Glad to hear you're seeing a decrease in such calls. Unfortunately, I can't say the same. We get calls almost daily, often 2 to 4 call in a day. What's disturbing is that the numbers shown on caller ID suggest they are local calls. In fact, they are not from around here at all. They're spoofed. The problem is that we know a lot of people and it isn't realistic to memorize every phone number. I used to ask where the caller is located, and most of the time, they name a city and state from the other side of the country. Callers usually have a thick south Asian accent. Some calls use the guise of conducting a survey. It's irritating. For us, the problem is not getting better. It's getting worse.

Old 12-25-2019, 05:44 PM
KCZ

2,078 posts, read 1,153,930 times
Quote:
I have noticed a significant drop in robocalls in the last two weeks. It used to be 7-10 a day. Now I don't even get one a day. Have measures finally been taken? Seems I heard a lot about comm companies doing something about it. Maybe they finally succeeded?

I think I'm getting your share.

You're welcome.

Old 12-25-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
I think I'm getting your share.

You're welcome.
So sorry! Have you tried Nomorobo or something similar? I still get the calls (or I did until they dropped off) but after only one ring they go onto a robo call black hole. Ask your phone co. if they offer anything.

Old 12-25-2019, 07:12 PM

1,749 posts, read 508,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Your number is on sabbatical.

I sometimes see the same thing, a drawn out pause, and then a resumption in the wave of calls.
I get it, too. Nothing for a week, then three or four on the same day. I send them straight to voicemail, but that still counts as the line being answered, so I'm sure it then triggers whoever-it-is to try more calls within a couple hours. Too bad there's not a way to be able to send some sort of signal back that the number is out of service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post

And I thought it was just me.

That has to be a low payoff endeavor for the criminals.
You would think so. But if they can do it all with autodialers, it seems it might be a "set it and forget it" thing until someone bites... almost no effort for probably a payoff from at least one sucker.

I always wondered about telemarketers. If everyone hates them, who is giving them enough business to encourage them to keep it up???

Old 12-25-2019, 07:17 PM
KCZ

2,078 posts, read 1,153,930 times
Quote:
So sorry! Have you tried Nomorobo or something similar? I still get the calls (or I did until they dropped off) but after only one ring they go onto a robo call black hole. Ask your phone co. if they offer anything.

Unfortunately, most of them come to my landline and that company offers nothing. This started after I bought a new car and the dealership thoughtfully provided my unlisted home number to Sirius, extended warranty companies, aftermarket parts suppliers, and everybody and his brother, after I specifically told them not to give my number out to anyone. Now the whole world has it.

Old 12-25-2019, 07:28 PM

If you don't recognize the number, don't answer it!

Old 12-25-2019, 09:03 PM

6,189 posts, read 7,161,377 times
I've seen a reduction in calls, but NOW I'm getting multiple text messages. Like someone telling me my Netflix account is suspended due to failure to pay. I don't even HAVE a Netflix account! I got like 5 the other day, almost to where I'm going to put my texting on block for awhile.

The real problem is the lost time and work because of having to deal with these criminals. (Yes all our phones are on the DNC register.) I would love to track one of these places down and give the rotten slimebags a little love.

Old 12-25-2019, 11:57 PM

1,332 posts, read 471,284 times
If you manage to find one let me know; I may even be tempted to pay you for the ammunition!~

Old 12-26-2019, 07:41 PM

1,749 posts, read 508,635 times
Quote:
If you don't recognize the number, don't answer it!
But, you still have to hear it ring, or see it pop up on your screen, or get the voicemail if one is left. In my case, it's my work phone that gets all the crap, so I always have to pay attention in case it's actually a work call. It's not too bad on my personal phone (yet??), and I've considered paying for a Skype number again to keep it that way-- then that number is given out to businesses and crap like two-factor authentication (which I figure is just another place to have my phone number to be stolen when they get hacked) and my real number would be just for friends and family. Sucks that I would need to shell out my own money because of these jerks, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I've seen a reduction in calls, but NOW I'm getting multiple text messages. Like someone telling me my Netflix account is suspended due to failure to pay. I don't even HAVE a Netflix account! I got like 5 the other day, almost to where I'm going to put my texting on block for awhile.

The real problem is the lost time and work because of having to deal with these criminals. (Yes all our phones are on the DNC register.) I would love to track one of these places down and give the rotten slimebags a little love.
I always wished there was some way to send an electrical impulse down the line that would fry their servers

I don't imagine Do Not Call registry does much against people who A. aren't in the U.S. and B. spoof phone numbers, so all you're reporting at best is a number they might use briefly and never again, or at worst actually belongs to some other poor hapless soul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or