U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-04-2019, 04:01 PM
 
3,697 posts, read 5,360,428 times
Reputation: 7495

Advertisements

I have noticed a significant drop in robocalls in the last two weeks. It used to be 7-10 a day. Now I don't even get one a day. Have measures finally been taken? Seems I heard a lot about comm companies doing something about it. Maybe they finally succeeded?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-07-2019, 06:05 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
34,470 posts, read 60,047,107 times
Reputation: 33720
Your number is on sabbatical.

I sometimes see the same thing, a drawn out pause, and then a resumption in the wave of calls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2019, 08:04 AM
 
40,817 posts, read 42,215,651 times
Reputation: 17078
Quick Google search says back in June the FCC has given providers explicit permission to block this nonsense on their own. Might be worth the effort to login into telephone account and see if your provider has option for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2019, 09:04 AM
 
3,697 posts, read 5,360,428 times
Reputation: 7495
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Quick Google search says back in June the FCC has given providers explicit permission to block this nonsense on their own. Might be worth the effort to login into telephone account and see if your provider has option for it.

I have Comcast and they offered free NOMOROBO subscriptions over a year ago. I immediately signed up, and although the robo calls do ring once, they are immediately blocked and sent to voice mail. It's been great, but still have to hear the phone ring once several times a day. That has been significantly reduced for the last couple of weeks. Thus my query.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2019, 09:05 AM
 
3,697 posts, read 5,360,428 times
Reputation: 7495
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Your number is on sabbatical.

I sometimes see the same thing, a drawn out pause, and then a resumption in the wave of calls.
Interesting. Did not know there was such a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2019, 09:37 AM
 
1,335 posts, read 558,760 times
Reputation: 3810
I received three robo calls yesterday — all spoofed as my cell phone number. Guess I better block that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2019, 10:31 PM
 
Location: Colorado
243 posts, read 68,438 times
Reputation: 1136
I have gotten a few robo calls lately where they spoke what sounded like Chinese.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2019, 05:28 AM
 
Location: Florida
20,743 posts, read 20,725,339 times
Reputation: 24738
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
I have Comcast and they offered free NOMOROBO subscriptions over a year ago. I immediately signed up, and although the robo calls do ring once, they are immediately blocked and sent to voice mail. It's been great, but still have to hear the phone ring once several times a day. That has been significantly reduced for the last couple of weeks. Thus my query.
Anyone can sign up for this for free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2019, 06:26 AM
 
40,817 posts, read 42,215,651 times
Reputation: 17078
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Anyone can sign up for this for free.

There is no reason the service provider should charge for any of these services. They will be saving money by not having to handle the extra traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2019, 06:44 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
34,470 posts, read 60,047,107 times
Reputation: 33720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoge View Post
I have gotten a few robo calls lately where they spoke what sounded like Chinese.

And I thought it was just me.

That has to be a low payoff endeavor for the criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top