Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2019, 03:24 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,154,689 times

Advertisements

Saw a news story the other day about a guy who had his credit cards stolen and within a short time the crooks had emptied his bank accounts of $20,000 his take on the situation was to advise people to end that swipe feature. how do you accomplish this? I'm thinking if you want to use my credit card you gonna need a password.

Last edited by jambo101; 09-19-2019 at 03:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 01:56 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,154,689 times
Called the bank (CIBC) to inquire and guess what,you cant disable the swipe feature as its built into all their credit and debit cards. They said if you suspect criminal behaviour they will cover the cost..

Old 09-20-2019, 10:21 AM

21,716 posts, read 24,949,937 times
Fake story is fake.

There's now way to empty a bank account of 1 cent with a stolen credit card. Credit cards just aren't bank accounts. If he had his debit card stolen, yeah. They'll still put the money back in but there they have to put it back in. It's a bigger hassle than using a credit card as the money never comes out. Your bank should be able to put a limit on your debit card, mine is $400/day, and don't use it unless you're at an ATM or have to because it's somewhere that doesn't take credit.

Old 09-20-2019, 10:44 PM

23,563 posts, read 70,158,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Called the bank (CIBC) to inquire and guess what,you cant disable the swipe feature as its built into all their credit and debit cards. They said if you suspect criminal behaviour they will cover the cost..
Not only can't you disable chip features, you can be denied access to your account at out of state stores that don't use a chip reader and enter info manually. Don't say that is crazy, It happened to me with BOA at a store 20 miles from me - one that I had a history of using with the card as payment. Their reader link happened to be down that day. I filed a complaint with customer service and stopped using the card for a year to put a cross on the t (for all the good that does). That is just one reason to have multiple credit cards.

I no longer use the online account access with credit cards, instead paying by phone and getting paper bills. When a statement comes in from a CC company or bank, I look it over right then on the way back from the mailbox. Fraud protection is based on the consumer CHECKING their bill to verify that the purchases are correct. If you just blindly pay your bill, or autopay it, you can end up with much more of a hassle saying "this charge wasn't made by me."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology