Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2019, 02:53 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times

Advertisements

I was in the vicinity of an Apple store, and decided to stop in. I took a look at the new watchbands, and saw that the Milanese loops are down to $99. Sounds, good I'll buy one.

The new process is that you "reserve" one, and then go to the "express pickup", which was supposed to be quick.

Instead, I'm waiting in a line while a single person is basically setting up a new phone for someone. Swapping SIM cards, etc. Taking at least 10 minutes doing this while the line builds up.

I then say - I'll go have some lunch and come back. Should be better then...

After lunch, a different person is on duty, and chatting with a customer who is basically asking pre-sale questions while getting a phone picked up - should I get a screen protector? What's your opinion about AppleCare? Which phone is better? etc.

I waited 10 minutes and finally they scanned my code to retrieve the item. He then went to help someone else who had to swap something, and when the band showed up he apologized but needed more time because he was in the middle of helping this other person. I told him to cancel the transaction and left. What a waste of time.

Why have an "express line" if it's not focused on just doing simple transactions? There were other Apple people milling and standing around that could help with other questions.

I realize why I don't go to an Apple store often. Their customer experience is terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2019, 10:11 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
I’m 300 plus miles away from an Apple Store. When I get to a place that has one and I have time I may stop in. Usually to look around. In my town we have an authorized Apple retailer who does sales and service. They’ve been around since 1984. That is my go to for anything.

For me the local store offers the better experience.

Old 09-27-2019, 11:00 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
But...but...but....

Apple! Steve Jobs! and all that!

Old 09-30-2019, 09:22 AM

11,090 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Though an Apple user, I've never had reason to go to one of their stores. They've never sounded appealing to me anyway. They seem weird on some levels...

Old 09-30-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Though an Apple user, I've never had reason to go to one of their stores. They've never sounded appealing to me anyway. They seem weird on some levels...
I imagine it's kind of the same as walking into a Scientology center...

Old 09-30-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I’m 300 plus miles away from an Apple Store. When I get to a place that has one and I have time I may stop in. Usually to look around. In my town we have an authorized Apple retailer who does sales and service. They’ve been around since 1984. That is my go to for anything.

For me the local store offers the better experience.
The irony was that my wife then ordered the same band for me online, and it arrived within 2 days via Fedex at no extra charge.

Old 09-30-2019, 10:45 AM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I was in the vicinity of an Apple store, and decided to stop in. I took a look at the new watchbands, and saw that the Milanese loops are down to $99. Sounds, good I'll buy one.

The new process is that you "reserve" one, and then go to the "express pickup", which was supposed to be quick.

Instead, I'm waiting in a line while a single person is basically setting up a new phone for someone. Swapping SIM cards, etc. Taking at least 10 minutes doing this while the line builds up.

I then say - I'll go have some lunch and come back. Should be better then...

After lunch, a different person is on duty, and chatting with a customer who is basically asking pre-sale questions while getting a phone picked up - should I get a screen protector? What's your opinion about AppleCare? Which phone is better? etc.

I waited 10 minutes and finally they scanned my code to retrieve the item. He then went to help someone else who had to swap something, and when the band showed up he apologized but needed more time because he was in the middle of helping this other person. I told him to cancel the transaction and left. What a waste of time.

Why have an "express line" if it's not focused on just doing simple transactions? There were other Apple people milling and standing around that could help with other questions.

I realize why I don't go to an Apple store often. Their customer experience is terrible.
Amazon is $80 less anyway. Most stuff I buy online as brick and mortar is generally just poorly run. Last time I was in Best Buy, for example, I went to pick up a USB hub and some HDMI cables. I just walked away from the register. "Would you like an extended warranty with that? No. "Are you sure, it's only $5.99 for a five year warranty?" No. Okay then. Picks up the second cable that's exactly the same as the first cable. "Would you like an extended warranty with that?" .... No. "Are you sure --" as I walk out the door in disgust. Their loss. Amazon can get the stuff to me for a 1/3rd the price in a day or two without making me go postal.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:16 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The irony was that my wife then ordered the same band for me online, and it arrived within 2 days via Fedex at no extra charge.
This is what is what is making conventional old fashioned brick and motor retail a dying thing. A couple of clicks or taps and wait a couple days and you’re set. No more poor service.

I have walked out of Office Max or depot or whatever they are now, annoyed at the service. Went to Amazon and bought exactly what I wanted for same or less money.

Last time was an external 3 TB hard drive to use as a time machine backup on my iMac. The same applies for oil filters, fuel filters and so forth for my vehicles. It is more than just an Apple Store experience.

Old 09-30-2019, 11:24 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,431,190 times
Just had my first Amazon delivery (as opposed to UPS or USPS) and it was amazing. I was tracking the guy right in my neighborhood and to my door. I ordered the item yesterday (Sunday) and it was here just a while ago. All without someone trying to upsell me.

Old 09-30-2019, 04:17 PM

6,586 posts, read 4,972,969 times
Anything I've ordered to pickup at Apple has been available as soon as I got there. Same with the couple of times I've run in for something, you can pretty much check yourself out with your phone now.

Repairs though - I miss the genius bar. Now that everyone and their brother has a phone or tablet, it's a bear to get the deep technical help they used to be known for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology