U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2019, 09:59 AM

5,051 posts, read 2,576,885 times

Advertisements

most difficult: 65c02 machine code:
Quote:
0xad05
easiest: sql:
Quote:
select plantain from fruit where cost = 5
https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...2/#post5004837

Last edited by stanley-88888888; 11-02-2019 at 10:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 05:53 AM

7,576 posts, read 4,113,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Assembly was the hardest. I got through one lesson and switched to Basic. (VB hadn't been invented yet, there was no microsoft either, or personal computers). Many years later when I was around 40, I added VB6.0 and C. Found VB to be pretty easy, did well with C also. I surprised myself by understanding pointers and arrays better than any of the college kids in the class.
I actually wrote production code in VB for DOS, using a database that was a single-user precursor of Access. MS luckily dropped it shortly thereafter.

Old 11-03-2019, 10:26 AM

14,486 posts, read 21,305,715 times
Easiest = BASIC (the original)

Old 11-03-2019, 05:50 PM

3,065 posts, read 1,175,878 times
I've tried to learn several languages such as Java, SQL, Visual Basic and Python but found them all difficult. For some reason, my brain has a hard time dealing with programming even though I'd like to think that I have a solid grasp of what's to be done.

Old 11-06-2019, 08:27 AM

2,060 posts, read 753,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Almost no one uses server-side rendering for big web applications now.
This is not true. A lot of big sites/web applications use SSR. Languages around SSR are extremely popular. Specifically JavaScript.

Last edited by TexasLawyer2000; 11-06-2019 at 08:40 AM..

Old 11-06-2019, 01:27 PM

2,284 posts, read 758,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
This is not true. A lot of big sites/web applications use SSR. Languages around SSR are extremely popular. Specifically JavaScript.
I would not be surprised if a big (complex) web application isn't a SPA for legacy reasons but I would be surprised if a greenfield web app would be designed to use SSR.

Also make a distinction between a "site" like (city-data) which must be crawled by the search engines, with an "app" that is more of an online tool. I agree if you have content that needs to be crawled you should use SSR.

When you say JavaScript is used for SSR, are you referring to web apps made with Node?

Old 11-06-2019, 06:57 PM

301 posts, read 63,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I would not be surprised if a big (complex) web application isn't a SPA for legacy reasons but I would be surprised if a greenfield web app would be designed to use SSR.

Also make a distinction between a "site" like (city-data) which must be crawled by the search engines, with an "app" that is more of an online tool. I agree if you have content that needs to be crawled you should use SSR.

When you say JavaScript is used for SSR, are you referring to web apps made with Node?
I can't speak for the other poster, but surely JavaScript being used for SSR is via Node. And not just for legacy reasons. If you're site is content-based (like many of the larger sites), you rely heavily on SSR. Even a lot of tool-like apps rely on SSR. City-Data is a bad example because it is pretty much 100% legacy... and not a web app in the browser.

Some of the most greenfield web apps are using SSR.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:03 AM

6,240 posts, read 3,151,193 times
It's not the language per se that is difficult, it is all the tools and libraries that go along with it. For instance Java is really easy to learn and to use but JCL and the official Java API are huge, and there are many different implementations of the various APIs, each with its own issues. For instance the Java Crypto API (JCA) had four different vendors that supplied it when I was using it. And then there is tons of code out there that is available from Apache, SourceForge, and others that provide valuable frameworks to build apps or projects on top of. That is the difficult part of Java. It is a lot of work to keep up with all the things going on.

I used to use assembly language a lot which was a pain to program in but there were no real libraries so it was very self contained.

Fortran has got to be one of the ugliest languages ever created but it was simple.

Old 11-07-2019, 10:37 AM

5,002 posts, read 3,952,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Fortran has got to be one of the ugliest languages ever created but it was simple.
And the liberal use of constructs like computed gotos made for job security.

Old 11-08-2019, 10:51 AM

2,284 posts, read 758,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Fortran is favored for scientific computing because of its memory model. Because variable types are stored sequentially, rather than packed within structs along with other different variable types, array operations are simply pointer arithmetic and thus fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or