U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2019, 04:28 PM

5,933 posts, read 3,524,015 times

Advertisements

For those who learned to code, what are the most and least difficult programming languages to learn?

For me, most difficult: C#
Least difficult: Java, SQL, Javascript
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2019, 08:30 PM

1,328 posts, read 662,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post
For those who learned to code, what are the most and least difficult programming languages to learn?

I agree C# is unnecessarily difficult because of (1) convoluted namespaces and (2) DLL hell and (3) inherit limitations of being on MS - usually asp.net which is outdated. Many companies are moving to JavaScript like React or Angular 7. .Net was new in 2000 but faded by 2013 due to the growth of Java, JavaScript and Python. There are now also mobile apps using Swift, Android, etc.

The hardest to learn is C because of the pointer arithmetic (in my opinion). The easiest is Python. Java is in the middle. It's not uncommon for an old legacy C system to be too-hard-to-debug for a new programmer such that the retired author has to be called back.

But if you want a nightmare, try simulating a Quantum Physics experiment with 1980s Fortran code - lol.

Old 10-24-2019, 08:42 PM

1,418 posts, read 489,160 times
RPG. This mainframe programming language was formatted to work with 80 character punch cards (like those used by NASA programmers to put man on the moon). The language was barely one step above assembler.

I still have my clear plastic scale (ruler) with the longitudinal magnifying glass, used to confirm placement of the language bits in their proper location on the card when we graduated to printing our program code on greenbar. It's a conversation piece, like a slide rule, although there aren't many folks around anymore with whom to hold the conversation.

We debated the basis of the RPG acronym. A co-worker proposed the best option - Run and Play Games. That's the one I remember.

Old 10-25-2019, 05:29 AM

6,410 posts, read 2,935,943 times
Well, in my experience APL was really weird.

Basic was the easiest.

Old 10-25-2019, 09:34 AM

7,547 posts, read 4,100,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
But if you want a nightmare, try simulating a Quantum Physics experiment with 1980s Fortran code - lol.
I can match this one -

In the 80's I had to write a word processor application in COBOL. You practically needed a word processor just to write the code.

But overall "hardest" language for me to learn was probably TI-99/4A Assembly due to the limited memory, and how to handle manipulating registers.

Old 10-25-2019, 10:43 AM

4,045 posts, read 2,709,349 times
In my experience and I'm old, the most difficult was IBM 370 Assembly language. Used on mainframes, there was a corresponding PC version of it which I also delved in. Never used it for anything practical, only classroom and exercises.

C++ was the version I picked up, it came on the scene in the early 80's. Nowhere near as difficult as assembly. You actually had words to work with.

My coding days are over. I still do use Visual Foxpro (discontinued) and SQL at my company. SQL is powerful for what it was designed for and I studied it in college, still use it to this day.

Yes, COBOL was like writing a book. Easy to follow, unnecessarily wordy. It is still around.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:09 PM

3,049 posts, read 658,076 times
For me, vanilla 'C' code is pretty easy to pick up. It's beautifully clean and logical. As mentioned above, the pointer logic is the most difficult aspect.

I think C++ is more difficult because of all the special features (like lambda). Java is easier that way, and it takes care of the garbage collection for you.

Assembly code can be a beast, but you'll learn a lot about how computers actually work.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:47 PM

5,141 posts, read 1,943,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Assembly code can be a beast, but you'll learn a lot about how computers actually work.
6502 assembly was something else... "C" is a not bad and most code today is still in C even though the last few years Python has been all the rage.

Old 10-25-2019, 02:50 PM

7,547 posts, read 4,100,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripleh View Post
6502 assembly was something else... "C" is a not bad and most code today is still in C even though the last few years Python has been all the rage.
Ugh, 6502. 2 registers and an accumulator. Not fun.

Old 10-25-2019, 04:30 PM

13,114 posts, read 13,161,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevroqs View Post

Hardest: Assembly language
Easiest: Any database query. SQL is a good example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or