U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2019, 05:58 PM

28,628 posts, read 48,735,792 times

Advertisements

Brain seems to categorise death as something that only befalls other people.

Warning: this story is about death. You might want to click away now.

That’s because, researchers say, our brains do their best to keep us from dwelling on our inevitable demise. A study found that the brain shields us from existential fear by categorising death as an unfortunate event that only befalls other people.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...m-mortal-truth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2019, 07:02 AM

2,279 posts, read 834,475 times
I find that hard to believe. I’ve had a morbid fascination with my own death since I was a teen, on my mind almost every day.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:43 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,218,778 times
In my early years, maybe twenties or so, I was worried about dying. A lot. Things are different now. I just hope I go in a non-painful way.

Old 10-28-2019, 11:53 AM

8,540 posts, read 4,490,146 times
My interpretation of the study they did was that our brain - knowing we're alive - can't reconcile ourselves and death in a "here and now" sort of way.

When I was 20 I thought I'd live to 120. Now I'd be content with 90+ if I still have mobility, continence and my marbles.

The big differentiator for me is having children. When I die I know they will go on, and hopefully have their own children during my lifetime.

Old 10-29-2019, 11:08 AM

1,673 posts, read 907,761 times
Guardian articles are very sensationalist and poorly written. Mortality shapes all of our decisions, like whether to walk alone, where to live, our long term plans. There might be more to the study than how the Guardian is reporting it.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:38 PM

14,780 posts, read 3,932,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I find that hard to believe. I’ve had a morbid fascination with my own death since I was a teen, on my mind almost every day.
Yes, me too, I worry about this all the time! My mind is always creating 'worst case scenarios' for what my afterlife will be like, its kept me up at night a few times too!!

None of my friends or family is like this, they dont seem to ever think about it, its like they dont even care what happens! I have one friend, and we got to talking about this one time and he said he was banking on God letting him 'sleep' forever...Thats a pretty BIG chance to take imo, I asked him how he was so sure God would go along, he didnt seem to care one way or the other.

My main worry is that it will be terrible suffering of some kind, and there will be absolutely nothing I could do to escape it, death is like diving headfirst into a new world, that you know NOTHING about!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or