U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 08:56 PM

12,554 posts, read 7,619,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I'd guess that it's not the connectivity that undermines our uniqueness. What undermines our uniqueness or individuality are retail operations (and news, even) with algorithms that channel everyone into increasingly narrower and more specific niches. If you liked that - you'll like this!

Individuality isn't a matter of isolation. It's a matter of the opportunity to explore. Although I should add that the tendency of online forums to mock anything a little offbeat or un-cool doesn't help.
I’ve also noticed how forums seem to beat to the same rhythm

And yes, I do think our interest have been commercialized so to speak. This could explain how so many people on a platform like Facebook are funneled into talking about/watching/commenting on the same things.

Not to open the can of worms about which times are better, but in the past, all people were only exposed to the same information through news on TV (which may have been less biased) and newspaper/magazines. Outside of those platforms you were left to your own thoughts about how to interpret the world around around you. Who knows what you might get...on certain topics, uncle Billy Bob’s advice might take the place of thousands of people on a forum endlessly debating what’s best for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2020, 02:40 PM

6,270 posts, read 11,274,280 times
I am just completely way beyond mesmerized that technically a solid vast majority of existence didn't even include this to civilization. Not really until 2010-2020 ubiquitous, and of course a little bit of 1990's, and only some of 2000-2010, essentially pretty much after the first 3 to 5 years of the new millennium. Not even 2000 to 2002 for one example to be honest.

Individualization is happening on the outside and within. People just have to express that correctly.

Corresponding among any other mode of action.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:09 PM

7,029 posts, read 3,237,336 times
Huh?

The words you use appear to be English but the meaning is obscure. Would you like a do-over?

Old 01-12-2020, 03:31 PM

15,917 posts, read 12,707,639 times
To the OP; maybe this is what happened to food? Seventy years ago there were many areas of our Country that were known for a particular taste. One had to travel to experience that taste. Then the fast food stores spread across the land and everybody can enjoy the same taste wherever they live. Unfortunately it is not the same since our fears of sugar and salt have changed. The food industry plays to the current climate and that has altered the original recipes.

Isn't that the same as what is happening with the internet today. The filters are built in and we are programmed to respond appropriately.

Old 01-16-2020, 03:05 PM
sub

1,488 posts, read 664,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
We are connected more than ever.

It seems everything about everything can be found online.

The human experience is becoming more and more digital as we essentially live online.

As people connect to the degree for which the internet allows - are we destined to become more homogenous?

I have often run into people who seem like they’re reading a script from online discussion boards.

And wow, so many people on social media use the same “cool” words, like the same memes, talk about the same stuff, get involved in the same viral stuff, etc.

Are we on a path to being the same?

30+ years ago you could have pockets of people who were unique because they never really interacted with the outside world other than through tv or radio.
The internet is only part of the equation. Globalization of industry and entertainment that reaches beyond it's borders also contribute. I haven't yet traveled overseas, but from what I can gather, so much of the world looks increasingly "western".
In this country, integration of neighborhoods, assimilation of cultures, and general mobility means that it's less likely to encounter the ethnic enclaves of the past. Not bad things, but the world seems less interesting as a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or