U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 03:42 AM

12,554 posts, read 7,616,200 times

Advertisements

We are connected more than ever.

It seems everything about everything can be found online.

The human experience is becoming more and more digital as we essentially live online.

As people connect to the degree for which the internet allows - are we destined to become more homogenous?

I have often run into people who seem like they’re reading a script from online discussion boards.

And wow, so many people on social media use the same “cool” words, like the same memes, talk about the same stuff, get involved in the same viral stuff, etc.

Are we on a path to being the same?

30+ years ago you could have pockets of people who were unique because they never really interacted with the outside world other than through tv or radio.

Last edited by eddiehaskell; 12-16-2019 at 03:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 01:01 PM

7,018 posts, read 3,229,832 times
Well, there's no such thing as "less unique" or "more unique".

That said, each person is, of course, unique, but worldwide mass media do have the tendency to reduce the variation amongst people. Note the gradual disappearance of regional accents and vocabularies in the USA, which really started with radio and has been proceeding apace ever since.

Old 12-16-2019, 03:01 PM

4,099 posts, read 912,898 times
I'd say is complicated. For cultures I'd say it's reduced uniqueness, as isolation permits cultural drift whereas the internet homogenizes the collective experiences. But for individuals it has enabled greater pursuit of obscure interests, which allow you to be unique individual and express yourself.

Old 12-16-2019, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I'd say is complicated. For cultures I'd say it's reduced uniqueness, as isolation permits cultural drift whereas the internet homogenizes the collective experiences. But for individuals it has enabled greater pursuit of obscure interests, which allow you to be unique individual and express yourself.
Can't reduce uniqueness, it's either ON or OFF.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:27 AM

2,279 posts, read 833,892 times
Every person is unique, even individual identical twins. If anything the Internet has reinforced my feeling of having almost nothing in common with the rest of the world in terms of my individual values, beliefs and concerns.

The main thing I’ve discovered is that I used to think I had a couple areas of expertise, mainly related to my career experience. I have discovered the collective knowledge of the Internet makes my expertise in my few areas pale to insignificance. Even when considering individuals, it is easy to find other folks with much more experience and expertise in my fields of interest. So, the Internet has had a humbling experience on me, much more so than any impact on my uniqueness.

Old 12-18-2019, 12:29 PM

4,099 posts, read 912,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Can't reduce uniqueness, it's either ON or OFF.
You can quantify what you mean by unique.

Old 12-18-2019, 05:30 PM

It means "the only one like it".

Let's review.

Zero? Doesn't exist.
One? Unique.
Two or more? Not unique.

Unique does not mean "really, really unusual".

Old 12-21-2019, 07:18 PM

12,554 posts, read 7,616,200 times
To avoid semantics - let’s not harp on what is meant by the term “unique”. Obviously, I’m trying to convey a sense of making us less individualized.

The “online world” as a place will certainly have some impact on us as individuals as we gradually spend more time there. I wondering how...

Old 12-21-2019, 08:25 PM

10,718 posts, read 9,965,869 times
I'd guess that it's not the connectivity that undermines our uniqueness. What undermines our uniqueness or individuality are retail operations (and news, even) with algorithms that channel everyone into increasingly narrower and more specific niches. If you liked that - you'll like this!

Individuality isn't a matter of isolation. It's a matter of the opportunity to explore. Although I should add that the tendency of online forums to mock anything a little offbeat or un-cool doesn't help.

Old 12-21-2019, 08:53 PM

5,968 posts, read 2,551,257 times
Does the internet make us less unique? Where does the digital world lead us?

NOPE~~ in fact Internet usage NOT using true Identity means.. INTERNET means FALSE Identity trolling gets absorbed into the ether of discussion!!

Why ask the question when it is well known Trolls and BOTs + False ( Multy) identity postings occur throughout Social media??

Less unique Indeed!! It make those that do not research and recall FACTS get caught up in PROP-O-GANDA sent by predatorial types to promote FLASE Information!! After years of such debunked mis-informations.. YET a small portion remain to Hold on it that FALSE Info to somehow make them feel validated!!

I recall reading historically, the American CivilWar rhetoric..and the ultimate assignation of Lincoln.. BUT such HATRED today demolishes what happened back then~~ Today POTUS Hateful rhetoric and his Administration and GOP supporting it has weaponized what took years to cause Assassinations and reckoning... BUT to day you have an actual POTUS promoting CIVIL WAR and OVERTURNING the CONSTITUTION and disregard alll branches of Government and the power of LAW and Order!!

Those that question the POWER of the Digital World Powers is in OUR Face NOW~~ Instant DATA .. Right/Correct then> ++++ BS spread internet wise... THEN to ADD a POTUS spreading the same propaganda enhanced by GOP Politicians!!

Recipe for Disaster!! I worry for my grandchildren living in the world with American disfunction as I've witnessed this past 3+ years!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or