Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2020, 07:35 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,653,459 times

Advertisements

Not surprising at all.

Privacy concerns perhaps but also look at the business model. You have a finite number of customers and these are not repeat customers.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/o...115817212.html
Quote:
Silicon Valley DNA testing company 23andMe, which has raised nearly $800 million in funding and was last valued at $2.5 billion, cut 14% of its workforce last week.

The cause is a slowdown in sales of its direct-to-consumer DNA kits, which run $100, $200, or $500 depending on how much information you want about your ancestry, genetic composition, health and wellness, carrier status, and vulnerability to certain diseases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 09:30 AM

438 posts, read 376,716 times
Not really surprised. They provided a one time product that a good chunk of the population doesn't trust and the others who partook looked at it as a novelty or simple tool to learn more about their genetic background. So after all the people who've wanted the tests have done so there's nothing else to really offer right now. I would imagine most people let go had to do with sales and dealing with the actual kits which isn't needed now. But it doesn't mean the end, if anything this is just the beginning! The main goal was to develop a database of volunteered DNA from multiple demographics. They'll most likely starting their next phase of using their database of DNA to provide more personal medical or DNA supported info to customers.

It's actually a pretty good plan. Now that they have all this data on a well rounded database of millions of DNA samples it will be easier to use that data to help generalized major medical issues for specific demographic groups. So many of those that simply wanted to figure out their families past will come back when someone in the family is sick and possibly be able to know the best way to fight the issue for their DNA makeup. I haven't done it; but many adopted friends of mine have finally gotten to fill out the family medical section of their medical records because of these products and to me it seems the consumer medical possibilites are nearly endless.

I'm personally a little apprehensive putting trust in a company primarily interested in profit and data collection. I don't think they truly have enough knowledge and interest to do their best for individuals medical needs in the same way a true medical team could provide. And I wouldn't be surprised if they sold out to a drug manufacturer in the future to get people to buy more meds. Nothing wrong with that by itself, but it needs to be in addition to working with your personal doctor and actually paying attention to your health, not simple a paper telling you what your health may be.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:20 PM

574 posts, read 382,791 times
I'd be lying if I said that I was crying about it

Old 02-03-2020, 06:10 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annoyingmagpie View Post
I'd be lying if I said that I was crying about it
Is there a genetic test for that?

Old 02-03-2020, 06:34 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Default Not surprised

I think there are people who are all over this, then run the tests, nothing really.

That's it.

I really don't care to have it done.

My daughter did it, however, and was disappointed she was not more worldly (meaning having backgrounds from more countries).

After that, it was done.

No surprises. Not that I expected any.

Old 02-05-2020, 05:23 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,111,983 times
As a customer, it concerns me a little that they might have to revise the business model and start selling the data to keep the business afloat. Or that if it goes bankrupt, the creditors will find a buyer for the data, likely one with much less interest in maintaining 23andMe's strict privacy policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology