U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 11:06 AM

6,528 posts, read 2,979,676 times

Advertisements

I dunno, what's the first civilization known on Earth? There you will probably find the first hotels. I THINK Damascus is the oldest extant city, and I'm sure there were hotels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
The young people are just completely oblivious to what the exact years of operation are to the giant emerging engineering marvels. I thought the airplanes didn't even begin until the earliest 1970s for the first ones! Are the prices equal to the 2010 to 2019 rate of ticketing. Including to average salary? I bet ending up equal, even if appearing extra affordable then.

Other than the rides in the horizons well above the ground, what about the Hotel Rooms? What is the first one on Planet Earth, and in what country? Please, the exact name of reference. Is this information that I can find online? I bet that I am able to see this on the World Wide Web Google search engine, yet I rather discover this on CD.com Science Technology Forum.
I would suggest that you discover the answers to these questions, and many others, at this thing called the

PUBLIC LIBRARY.

Get a card, and start in the section called "World History". The multi volume set by Will and Ariel Durant called "The History of Civilization" is a good start.

Old 01-08-2020, 09:25 AM

6,131 posts, read 11,148,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
what about the Hotel Rooms?

"There was no room at the inn" (source...New Testament)
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I dunno, what's the first civilization known on Earth? There you will probably find the first hotels. I THINK Damascus is the oldest extant city, and I'm sure there were hotels.
Quote:
I would suggest that you discover the answers to these questions, and many others, at this thing called the

PUBLIC LIBRARY.

Get a card, and start in the section called "World History". The multi volume set by Will and Ariel Durant called "The History of Civilization" is a good start.
Apparently, the first claim of a Hotel is in ancient Japan:

"Oldest
According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the oldest hotel in operation is the Nisiyama Onsen Keiunkan in Yamanashi, Japan. The hotel, first opened in AD 707, has been operated by the same family for forty-six generations. The title was held until 2011 by the Hoshi Ryokan, in the Awazu Onsen area of Komatsu, Japan, which opened in the year 718, as the history of the Nisiyama Onsen Keiunkan was virtually unknown."

I am kind of very mesmerized if that is really Japan. Could have sworn that would be in areas of Europe that are not geographically isolated. (Hungary, Austria, Switzerland, Italy, Netherlands, Czech Republic, UK, Greece) Or even the Middle East because of the oldest civilizations. Lebanon or Israel.

Old 01-08-2020, 12:11 PM

That's the oldest still in operation. Not the first ever. Actually a quick Wikipedia shows a number of no-longer-inhabited cities before Damascus which appears to have been founded around 2000 BCE. There's one in Turkey that is dated to 7000 BCE. I'm positive there were inns in it.

Old 01-12-2020, 03:16 PM

6,131 posts, read 11,148,106 times
Quote:
That's the oldest still in operation. Not the first ever. Actually a quick Wikipedia shows a number of no-longer-inhabited cities before Damascus which appears to have been founded around 2000 BCE. There's one in Turkey that is dated to 7000 BCE. I'm positive there were inns in it.
Indeed very obscure to discover. I wonder what the rules are to really affirmatively establish a Hotel building from the bare ground up. I bet way further highly supportive to the system than enacting a Restaurant, Cafe, Nightlife Venue, or any Independent Business Store theme. Another emerging question point is the various organizations effort of the practical without the computer machine Internet resource. Usually, sounds way extra arduous.

The Middle East is ancient, and a with a rich spiritual past. Not about the extreme politics, or the religion.
Although, I believe areas of Europe, and far East Asia made the first Hotels to the average citizen. Especially to what they encompass with the facilities.

Old Today, 10:41 PM

13,432 posts, read 3,543,521 times
My ex wife and I went to Washington DC in the mid 90s, we didnt have internet yet (she had a 'Web tv' thing), but it was mostly for entertainment).

We called hotels in the area we wanted to stay and took the best deal, we then booked the room over the phone...it was very simple, took maybe 20 minutes total.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or