U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 08:09 AM

6,270 posts, read 11,272,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Ok, I'll bite...not sure where this is going...

In the 90's (and before, of course) - you used The Telephone to make hotel reservations. A good way to find hotels (I mean, international or resort, or otherwise vacation) was by advertising - you saw it in a magazine, basically. Or a brochure from AAA. You didn't read 350 reviews and narrow it down. You trusted the advertising, because that is - literally - all you had - unless you knew someone who had been there. Rare.

If you're wondering how you did it where English wasn't The Language - you learned some of it. Enough to say (in German or French or Spanish or ...). I NEED A RESERVATION - 5 DAYS - starting 3 NOVEMBER. Then use your spanish numbers and read your credit card over the phone. This is just one method of course - I used snail mail for this purpose (for instance, I speak zero Arabic, so when going to Egypt - we sent mail. The recipient would find an English speaker, and THAT person called ME. All very quaint. ) I booked rooms on The Phone in French as recently as 2012 - at bed and breakfasts in france with no online reservations. I am certain those places still exist - and you non-internet users will miss out on a great place to stay.

And of course - the flights - two ways. One was to use the number in the Yellow Pages - just call the airline directly. You did not - ordinarily - compare 47 flights on 26 airlines. You picked a day and time, you called, and you paid it, that was that. If you wanted to pursue many simultaneous options - you used a travel agent. Travel agents still have uses (cruises, for instance). Back then - you had to have a paper ticket to fly - so the agent usually delivered it.

That's pretty much how I remember it. I don't remember struggling at all. It was a phone. I used it.

Airplanes then - regularly less than 50% full - nearly always an unoccupied seat next to you - because there was no easy way for airlines to dynamically balance things on the fly (sorry for the pun).

I miss those days.

I miss when people didn't wear pajamas and body odor on the plane too, but I guess that's manner-shaming. : D
Wow, the easygoing ubiquity among Computers Internet World Wide Web didn't really enter this World until infinite ages later. Even later than the year 2000, technically. Around 2003 to 2005 for the earliest countries that are usually the highest modern. And maybe even a bit later than 2010 for the true rustic countries. Incredibly late.

Speculating if my own 10 days vacation in 2017 for Morocco is having to wait until 2013 for that one to smoothly reserve the varying Hotel Rooms accommodations in the computer machine without any interruption. Just couldn't believe how relatively easy and error free that was to finalize the officials to those calendar marks in Fes, and Casablanca for some examples.

Sounds rather challenging with the exact complex maze of Travel Agents, specific Advertising Listings, and Phone books. And to trust the system very fast.

I am glad to see there is sincere genuine variety to what people rather have in this mode of outlook. Usually, older people, although. The young people(Below Mid 30's, or at least 30 years born before 1989) still have no idea deep down.

One of the final questions: Are there possibly some countries remaining even in 2020 continuing without any of these standards, rules, and patterns to the online Hotel reserving, or airplane tickets buying?

Last edited by Thepastpresentandfuture; 01-27-2020 at 08:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 10:14 AM

41,247 posts, read 59,570,416 times
Travel agent, ticket counter or per phone. It was actually much easier than now.

There are at least 13 countries without or with limited internet access.
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...et-access.html
I am sure that life goes on there.
I visited Morocco and other North African countries long before the Internet and had no problems with any parts of my travels.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:41 AM

41,247 posts, read 59,570,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
The young people are just completely oblivious to what the exact years of operation are to the giant emerging engineering marvels. I thought the airplanes didn't even begin until the earliest 1970s for the first ones! Are the prices equal to the 2010 to 2019 rate of ticketing. Including to average salary? I bet ending up equal, even if appearing extra affordable then.
I don't think most young people are that oblivious to think air travel started in the 70's. (commercial flights are 100 year old)
Travel was more expensive but more comfortable. People dressed and behaved properly.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/t...1960s-70s.html

https://metro.co.uk/2016/05/02/this-...l-5854571/amp/

I still remember some of this ^^^.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 01-27-2020, 12:21 PM

6,270 posts, read 11,272,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
There are at 13 countries without or with limited internet access.
https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/...et-access.html
Nice article.

This World Map to Science Technology is accurate legitimate evidence to exact range of any national population with available resources to the Internet from 1990 to 2017. The Global digital information age didn't truly become Worldwide until the year 2007 judging to the slideshow. One of the most extreme changes during 2006 to 2007: https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/s...g-the-internet

In 2017, these are some countries that are still below 23% in coverage area of people using the Internet over there:
Laos(21.87%), Nepal(19.69%), Bangladesh(18.25%), Pakistan(15.51%), Turkmenistan(17.99%), Papua New Guinea(9.6%), Mauritania(18%), Madagascar(9.8%), Chad(5%), South Sudan(6.68%), Eritrea(1.18%)

Cambodia went from only (1.26%!) in 2010 up to 34% of absolutely everyone using the Internet in 2017.

I bet those sovereign republics might rank poorly too other than Belarus, Vietnam, Burma Myanmar for some examples in these correct records in potential to get the airplane tickets, and Hotel Room on the Internet. Among average widescale efforts over there. Even in 2017 to 2020!

Old 01-29-2020, 12:47 PM

198 posts, read 53,815 times
While there are certainly places with no internet - and in that case, you're stuck with whatever works - there are still places where the mom-and-pop owners of B&B's, especially in Rural France, Spain, Germany - even in Canada - just do not have an online booking system. These places aren't hurting for business. They're just not the "money grab" of the Holiday Inn. SOME have email - and that can really get the ball rolling - but these places WANT you to call.

You have to think about your gramma running the place. For 70 years. She does not know or care about your email. And outside of the USA - they ain't exactly fretting the loss of business. Meaning - if you show up, you do, if not, not. All the same to them - the place is paid for and they're retired. Fewer guests = less cleaning. I know you're laughing at that, but I've seen it many times, and in the last 10 years.

Old 01-31-2020, 12:05 PM

34,702 posts, read 17,894,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
Are the prices equal to the 2010 to 2019 rate of ticketing. Including to average salary? I bet ending up equal, even if appearing extra affordable then.
Considerably more expensive, when adjusted for inflation.

Old 02-04-2020, 04:41 PM

198 posts, read 53,815 times
Right - more expensive - why (just asking) would you think they'd be less? They didn't even "appear" affordable then, and they weren't - flying was certainly for folks with money. In the 70's I remember it being something like $500 to fly to California...it's only $300 now (from the East Coast, I mean).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or