U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 11:46 AM

6,270 posts, read 11,271,372 times

Advertisements

Maybe a bit too easy later than the year of 2010. World Wide Web is still building up in the 1990s, and even earlier on in the 2000's. What about the countries that got the computer machines even later than the usual!? I imagine quite very challenging when the valuable resource is not around. To book the Airplane tickets, and room to stay away from any online buttons. Are there any specific anecdotal stories to average citizens visiting to other countries without the Internet then. And exactly in what versions modes of expressing. Even if much slower. I really have no idea. I am young. Only 28 years old. Born in the 1990's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 11:57 AM

27,429 posts, read 11,980,664 times
Let's just say this, beginning in 1986 I traveled to Asia an estimated 20 times. Half of those times I did it without using the web. You went to a travel agent or ticket counter. Sometimes easier than using the web, although not necessarily more convenient.

Old 12-30-2019, 10:23 AM

4,809 posts, read 8,397,215 times
You'd typically just pick up the phone and call a travel agent or the companying providing the service (hotel, airline, rental car, etc.).

Calling the travel agency is normally easier as they can pretty much book your entire itinerary. However, calling direct may get you specific promotions / deals.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:21 AM

41,048 posts, read 42,779,258 times
Back in the early 90's I took a few cross country trips. My cousin would leave for AZ after the New Year and I'd drive out with him, fly back to PA and then fly out in the spring for the road trip back. Airline tickets were thorough travel agent and accommodations were wherever we stopped. Usually camp ground but we'd get a motel at least every third night to get shower etc. I've pitched a tent on the pacific coast, near Yoemsite and the Grand Canyon among other places. Crowds were usually still light early/mid May. Only trouble we'd run into is some roads were still closed in CA. Think we had to make a 300 mile detour to get into Yosemite as the eastern passes were not open.

Crazy as it sounds the hardest place to get room was the one night before I was going to take the flight back in Phoenix, they didn't want to rent a room to two young guys....

Old 01-02-2020, 09:22 AM

8,940 posts, read 9,749,686 times
Tip, What I have found is on the internet a particular motel site will say no room available. If I call the motel direct, guess what, I can book a room at said motel.

Old 01-02-2020, 10:47 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,526,486 times
Before the internet, there were travel agencies or secretaries at larger firms to arrange travel, as other posts have mentioned upthread. You could sometimes save a little money by visiting an airline's city ticket office also (I did this as recently as the 2000s).

Before travel agencies became widespread, say before the 1960s, business travelers or their secretary would contact the airline or hotel directly. By telephone, and even earlier still, by good old postal mail.

My uncle did a lot of travel to England right after the war in the 1940s, and stays at the various inns and hotels were made via typed letter (months in advance). The confirmation would be by return post. His secretary would have to make trips to the airport to book travel. Airlines were some of the first companies to employ computers. I suspect that they kept everything in ledgers for the brief historical period between the advent of commercial aviation and of the earliest computers.

Some functions, like seat assignments and upgrades were still handled without computers by the gate agent within my travel lifetime (1970s-1980s). A large, printed board with stickers for every seat was managed by the gate agent. Upgrades were little stickers that you would give to the GA who would apply them directly onto the ticket (which were paper coupons, torn off per flight segment and stapled to a corresponding boarding card).

Old 01-04-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Let's just say this, beginning in 1986 I traveled to Asia an estimated 20 times. Half of those times I did it without using the web. You went to a travel agent or ticket counter. Sometimes easier than using the web, although not necessarily more convenient.
Not quite impossible to real logical conclusions without the computer machine. Is this entire journey a solid comprehensive arduous search right for the exact Travel Agents in focus? Did they have to research tons of these variable factors in depth to very challenging heights? Or is the beginning to final quite relatively smooth or even in between the extremes?

I didn't even know about the entire concept of Travel Agent before the 2000's. Technically, they are still around. Although, serving another purpose or mission to the clients. Basically, absolutely essential even extra further in the past. Now I understand.

Individual power to control is way less ubiquitous in the exact occurrence of Travel from what I am seeing.

Old 01-04-2020, 10:26 AM

7,016 posts, read 3,229,832 times
Well, let's run that pop fly out.

Commercial air travel at any volume started around 1930 or so, and even then it wasn't a very common mode of travel. By 1930 there were few if any people in the USA who didn't have access to a telephone, though long distance calls were expensive. Furthermore every town of any size whatsoever had a telegraph office, with practically instantaneous written communications.

So by the time anyone wanted to make a reservation on a commercial airline flight, there were the telephone and telegraph already well established for instantaneous communications, and US mail for slower communications.

There has been no real difficulty in making airline reservations, ever.

Old 01-04-2020, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well, let's run that pop fly out.

Commercial air travel at any volume started around 1930 or so, and even then it wasn't a very common mode of travel. By 1930 there were few if any people in the USA who didn't have access to a telephone, though long distance calls were expensive. Furthermore every town of any size whatsoever had a telegraph office, with practically instantaneous written communications.

So by the time anyone wanted to make a reservation on a commercial airline flight, there were the telephone and telegraph already well established for instantaneous communications, and US mail for slower communications.

There has been no real difficulty in making airline reservations, ever.
The young people are just completely oblivious to what the exact years of operation are to the giant emerging engineering marvels. I thought the airplanes didn't even begin until the earliest 1970s for the first ones! Are the prices equal to the 2010 to 2019 rate of ticketing. Including to average salary? I bet ending up equal, even if appearing extra affordable then.

Other than the rides in the horizons well above the ground, what about the Hotel Rooms? What is the first one on Planet Earth, and in what country? Please, the exact name of reference. Is this information that I can find online? I bet that I am able to see this on the World Wide Web Google search engine, yet I rather discover this on CD.com Science Technology Forum.

Old 01-05-2020, 06:03 AM

20,968 posts, read 21,051,917 times
what about the Hotel Rooms?

"There was no room at the inn" (source...New Testament)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or