U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 07:06 AM

6,820 posts, read 8,458,855 times

Advertisements

I love seeing where things are located on Google Maps in Satellite mode. Why frustrates me is not easily finding the time and date the image was captured. I live in an area where growth and change happens rapidly. I have lived in areas in the past where change and growth is very slow. Why is there not a regiment to fly and update satellite images of areas changing rapidly more frequently? Is this happening already and Im just not seeing those maps? I use zillow and realtor.com map daily and too often find newer house built where no recent satellite image exists. Ive seen home up to 5 years old with no satellite map update since it was built. What gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:24 AM

40,395 posts, read 58,527,863 times
To find satellite images capture date in Google Map you need to use Google Earth. Google Map uses same imagery used in Google Earth, you can install Google Earth application on your PC and zoom into the area of which you wish to know the captured date at the bottom of the screen shows the Imagery Date.

The satellite data on Google Maps is typically between 1 to 3 years old. According to the Google Earth Blog, data updates usually happen about once a month, but they may not show real-time images.

You can see a slider on top of the screen like the one in the below picture. Move the slider up and down to see the Earths imagery at that time. At present, you can see the historical image map from 2003 to 2019. You can also see the date of imagery captured above the slider.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old Today, 08:14 AM

15,364 posts, read 12,416,145 times
I love Google Earth and have been using it for many years. My historical slider goes back to 1992; so some areas vary on historical information. The date my current imagery was taken was in June of last year and that also varies from location to location.

One of the best tools available on Earth is the 'elevation' that is displayed on the bottom right side of the picture. For any perspective buyer it can tell you if your new location is 'safe' from flooding or high water.

I highly recommend the use of this program.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology