U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 01:13 PM

1,967 posts, read 960,666 times

Advertisements

Ok, I encountered an interesting situation with google search results of late. Namely, a search of my own last name, in the past returned all the usual expected info such as name origins, some recent news on people with the same name etc. Now, for some years, on the right hand side of the first page of the search results there was a wikipedia page entry for a notable Christian bishop who lived in the 18th century. Very well known in the area of the British Isles the family hails from. Basically, it was just one entry, rather neat bio, on it's own on the right side of the search results.

Now, in the past few weeks, I did a search for my last name, this time to see the entry for the "Bishop" had vanished. In it's place was a bio for a current relative, a professor with phd from Cambridge, rather unknown outside of her field of science.

So, how can one get their own bio to appear as the standard bearer for the family , so to speak, have their pic and bio on the right side of the google page away from everyone else?. Is it something google decides or was it just a case of the individual in qst knowing somebody at google to modify the search results to present her and not the Bishop from history on the google search results page. How does this work, does anyone know with a genuine degree of accuracy?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:28 PM

40,891 posts, read 42,364,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
How does this work, does anyone know with a genuine degree of accuracy?.

Anyone that knows this with any degree of accuracy is certainly not going to tell you. Being able to rank your page or information in Google and other search engines above others is what anyone is trying to achieve with their sites/pages.

Quote:
a professor with phd from Cambridge, rather unknown outside of her field of science.
To get your name there you would have to be more important than her at least in the eyes of Google. Presumably she has published a lot of papers? Has her name/bio listed on University website? Has her name/bio listed on other sites? That is most certainly going to play a very large role.

Old Today, 07:54 PM

1,967 posts, read 960,666 times
Yes. She worked with a Nobel Laureate at Cambridge and now works in field of genetic research. Of course numerous articles and a trainer in some doctoral program at Cambridge. Still, I do miss the entry for the Bishop in the family from three-four hundred years ago. Most interesting was how in the bio, they had his age at 386 years old. Somebody had forgotten to put in his year of passing. . I often giggled to myself when seeing it. Now it is gone forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology