U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 08:46 AM

4,811 posts, read 8,398,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
So... we're supposed to leave it in their hands? Because competition?

In a very general sense, I agree. Legislation is most effective when it codifies and organizes practices in use for other reasons.

However, exactly what do you propose to limit the collection of individual data and protect against the misuse of both the data already collected and the increasingly detailed tide being collected? I'm reading a faint sense of "well, they need really, really good data security" - which would be completely missing the point.
You're lumping a lot of actions into one statement.

There's the collection of data. In many cases, people simply give out said data. So in that sense, part of the onus is on you, me, and everyone else. It's a bit hypocritical to open up a google account, plaster your daily activities on it, then get mad at google when a profile is created about you and you start getting customized ads.

That said - there are some legitimate reasons where certain data shouldn't be required. A good example is providing your SSN to a healthcare provider. There is absolute no need for that. Most ask for that for billing reasons or they got lazy and decided to use SSNs since they are unique. But because it's also tied to just about everything else, this also increases the risk exposure of everyone. SSNs was created for one reason. If anything, the "use" of these common identifiers for other purposes needs to be curbed.

As for preventing misuse - you have to be more specific. "misuse" can be subjective. I hear all the time people say <insert company> is misusing data. Actually - no. They are probably not. In fact, they likely told you exactly how they are going to use it. You simply didn't bother to read the Terms of Service that was provided and clicked on the "I agree" button so you can start posting pictures for your friends (and by you - I'm talking in general, not specifically saying YOU do this).

There are already legislation in place regarding the security and privacy of data. And while they are not useless, they are obviously not foolproof either. The problem I see is that they keep adding more. And this is where that complexity/confusion comes from. A different approach is needed. Not saying you need to wipe the slate clean. But legislation alone isn't the answer. And I don't know exactly what the answer is... But as a taxpayer, I'm pretty sure I know where this new agency will end up in terms of effectiveness. What's that definition of insanity..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2020, 07:26 AM

869 posts, read 533,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
So.... sort of like OCR w/ HIPAA? How's that working out?

IMO - The real winners with this will be government contractors, accounting/auditing firms, lawyers, GRC vendors, IT vendors, IT consultants, etc. But hey, this is exactly what I do. So this will certainly help my career.
In the short run, yes this is true. However, longer term, if data privacy is kept in the hands of the states to the current degree, it will be even more true. Look at CCPA and the other similar state-level legislation being contemplated. Look at the fragmented state-level data breach laws out there. For a national company to meet the letter of all of these laws is difficult to impossible, and a major drain on commerce. Well thought-out federal legislation with an intelligent degree of preemption of state laws is the only way to get this to a sane and manageable level. It would take years, but be well worth it if done smartly and effectively. Unfortunately, with how things are so politicized these days, I don’t see it happening anytime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or