U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 12:19 PM

12,164 posts, read 14,287,864 times

Advertisements

Thoughts?
Merge Tablets into Smartphones and CellPhones. "Phone and Tablets"

Not like they ever take our advice on forums around here anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 12:43 PM

281 posts, read 56,585 times
Cord cutting involves the same five steps for pretty much everyone, and the choices vary only slightly over time. It would be an endless parade of the same 'how to' and opinions about which streaming service is best.

Old 03-05-2020, 02:38 PM

41,231 posts, read 59,553,532 times
You need to post your question on About the Forum, OP. Mods don't decide about that, it's a higher-ups decision.
However there is a thread on Frugal Living and also members talk about it on Green Living.
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 03-05-2020, 05:20 PM

8,536 posts, read 4,482,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
You need to post your question on About the Forum, OP. Mods don't decide about that, it's a higher-ups decision.
However there is a thread on Frugal Living and also members talk about it on Green Living.
I’m not especially green nor frugal but cut the cord...just saying...

Old 03-06-2020, 07:19 AM

12,164 posts, read 14,287,864 times
I was thinking somewhere that we could recommend shows to watch AND provide advice for cutters.
Someone pointed out that there's a TV forum already, so I guess that would do.

Old 03-06-2020, 09:17 AM

1,506 posts, read 879,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Cord cutting involves the same five steps for pretty much everyone, and the choices vary only slightly over time. It would be an endless parade of the same 'how to' and opinions about which streaming service is best.
Literally describes every forum on this site.

Agree with the OP, although maybe it should be nestled under TV? I don't know.

Many recommendations on devices, services, how-to's to hook up antennas, etc. Services evolve over time and recommendations, warnings, etc, are beneficial.

Old 03-06-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Literally describes every forum on this site.
Well, I hear ya. But there aren't many forums this narrow - we have Automotive, not Oil-Change. Frugal Living, not Sales On Amazon. NYC, not Upper West Side. Etc.

When you boil it down, there just isn't that much to say about cord-cutting that warrants discussion (over, say, listing a few good recent articles or blogs on the important points).

There's how-do-I, which is the same small handful of choices for everyone, with the only variable being what internet providers are available at a specific household or business... which needs no discussion, it's up to the individual to evaluate the offerings and choose.

There's what-hardware, which is a very slowly evolving situation for which Roku or FireTV is the answer for nearly everyone, with Apple's box for the walled garden set and generic Android boxes for the code monkeys. Nor do these need frequent update; I have a family household happily using a Roku II.

And then there's what-services, which maybe has some legs to it but I note we don't have a Netflix-Hulu-Prime battleground, either. And programming... we have a forest of "TV" forums that discuss the matter more generally, without making it a brand-name, subjective "Hulu has better stuff than Netflix" whine.

Given how parsimonious C-D is about new forums (note, for example, the persistent notices about 'new' forums that are celebrating their ten-year-anniversary) I don't see the want or need tilting towards this one. It's a topic for the already-existing bloc of "how to" websites, not for daily discussion and repeating the same how-do-I info over and over, with the same pathetic whine about how the wife doesn't want to lose H&G.

Just for perspective... this is a topic I've written about at a number of levels. I gave many dozens of public seminars on how-to before moving away from a region where such public talks were popular. I stayed on top of the whole spectrum of issues for several years. I have a peculiar combination of technical, consumer-electronics, media and frugality experience that rings the topic. And, honest, I can't see any need to discuss it any more than the persistent threads in the existing forums.

Old 03-06-2020, 11:27 AM

15,034 posts, read 9,913,572 times
There's no such thing as cutting the cord unless you are totally wireless. If you don't subscribe to cable TV, they are still making money on your internet service and the cost to deliver services to you.

Netflix, Hulu, etc all have to pay Comcast or whoever to stream to customers. They simply pass the cost back to consumers but since they have such a huge economies of scale they can get by without passing a high cost. Or else all these people no longer subscribing to TV packages would have made Comcast or Verizon bankrupt already.

Old 03-06-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
There's no such thing as cutting the cord unless you are totally wireless. If you don't subscribe to cable TV, they are still making money on your internet service and the cost to deliver services to you.
True, but not the point of "cord cutting" unless the goal is to completely eliminate all related services and return to OTA/physical format entertainment.

If cord-cutting has one common goal, it's to get rid of 'cable TV' with all its excessive cost, vendor control (of content, channel order, etc.) and endless jerking around of prices, tiers, add-ons and delivery. A secondary goal might be to get rid of grossly overpriced adjunct services such as phone and alarm.

Reducing your service to the best internet value available to you - which, note, might be from a minor provider whose cable and other service options are poor to absent - and then making your own choice of entertainment, comm, alarm and other services from the vast array of providers is what it's about.

Some people may not save a lot of money if they have been riding the low-end bundle pricing and dicking around to keep as many intro rates as possible. But going to "raw service" and then choosing your own providers often does reduce cost, and reduces hassle and headaches a ton.

It's also unreasonable to equate broadband with cable TV or even a combined service - for most households, internet is a necessary utility. Choosing it to meet all your needs including entertainment is a different proposition from taking it as a nebulously-defined, variably-priced add-on to "cable."

Old 03-06-2020, 08:14 PM

8,940 posts, read 9,749,686 times
Spending $200 a month for TV is stupid. We have Comcast internet and stream everything. Ok basic TV as an add on is $10 a month so OK. Some local stuff is worth the price of two Starbucks coffees a month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or