U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM

2,322 posts, read 3,205,948 times

Advertisements

what brand of home security system do you have? what do you like/not like about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:56 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,874,508 times
I love my Reolink system. 8TB DVR with 8MP cameras and hardwired using POE and plain old CAT 5E ethernet cable.... With 6 cameras and 24/7 monitoring, I get 3 weeks of historical recording, and it's all local so no cloud and no fees. I can connect to it anywhere in the world, even on my cell phone. I also have a Ring Pro for the front door and that is a must-have IMHO.

Whatever you do decide, do not even think about wireless battery motion detecting cameras (my neighbor has Arlo), unless you want to change the batteries every month. I know they say 4-6 months but it just isn't true...

Old Today, 04:46 PM

i've looked at arlo & nightowl. i haven't found just the right combination quite yet.

Old Today, 05:42 PM

8,568 posts, read 4,501,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
I love my Reolink system. 8TB DVR with 8MP cameras and hardwired using POE and plain old CAT 5E ethernet cable.... With 6 cameras and 24/7 monitoring, I get 3 weeks of historical recording, and it's all local so no cloud and no fees. I can connect to it anywhere in the world, even on my cell phone. I also have a Ring Pro for the front door and that is a must-have IMHO.

Whatever you do decide, do not even think about wireless battery motion detecting cameras (my neighbor has Arlo), unless you want to change the batteries every month. I know they say 4-6 months but it just isn't true...
I have a bunch of Arlo cameras and the batteries drain anywhere from a month to 2-3 months. Increasing picture quality and being further from the base station decrease battery life. I have several of them mounted on trees which would preclude power or network cables.

It’s not a huge deal for me to replace batteries based where they are installed, but I can see how it would be for people.

Old Today, 06:16 PM

good idea! i hadn't thought about mounting them in trees....gotta scope out the yard again

Old Today, 07:20 PM

8,568 posts, read 4,501,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8lite View Post
good idea! i hadn't thought about mounting them in trees....gotta scope out the yard again
If you do go this route there are camo skins for the cameras on Amazon...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or