Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 08:14 AM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 21 days ago)

27,629 posts, read 16,111,637 times

Advertisements

Hoping for educated replies. No snark please
Is there any truth that 5G will disrupt the uptake of oxygen?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2020, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Maybe you could start by educating us on the claim.
I thought there may be some educated minds that could break things down in laymans terms. Looks like theyre in short order. Some people are theorizing that 5g will interfere with red blood cells ability to carry o2 as it appears to absorb o2. Im still reading up on it.
https://scientists4wiredtech.com/wir...on-properties/

Quote:
Wireless at 60 GHz Has Unique Oxygen Absorption Properties
If you have nothing to contribute, I understand.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:24 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,195,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
I thought there may be some educated minds that could break things down in laymans terms. Looks like theyre in short order. Some people are theorizing that 5g will interfere with red blood cells ability to carry o2 as it appears to absorb o2. Im still reading up on it.
https://scientists4wiredtech.com/wir...on-properties/

If you have nothing to contribute, I understand.
If you don't understand the problem with quoting an essentially anonymous, unaccredited blog "citing" a 20-year old web publication (not a peer-reviewed paper) that is talking about "absorption" of the wireless energy by the atmosphere - a common problem in microwave communications - as as your source, I understand, too.

You should up your understanding of how nearly all anti-5G agitation traces to Russian disinformation sources, part of the overall effort by Putin's pirates to stir up dissent and unease in the US. And maybe do your part to not spread those viruses, either.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:11 AM

Still reading and trying to understand.

At 60 GHz, the oxygen molecule becomes highly absorbent of electromagnetic energy

https://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/...t-for-backhaul

Was hoping some science geek could quickly lay it out without a pugnacious attitude.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:52 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,195,221 times
Quote:
Still reading and trying to understand.

At 60 GHz, the oxygen molecule becomes highly absorbent of electromagnetic energy

https://www.fiercewireless.com/tech/...t-for-backhaul

Was hoping some science geek could quickly lay it out without a pugnacious attitude.
Yes, the atmosphere has an absorption spectrum. Some frequencies travel further and retain more power than others. Some, especially at GHz frequencies, are selectively absorbed to a significant degree. Instead of reading selective papers that take some narrow aspect of this to, well, the stratosphere, you might read up on that specific subject. Here's a specific thing to grasp: look up the scientific explanation of why the sky is blue. Seriously. Same thing.

Since you expected "snark" from your first post, you must understand that you're asking a question driven as much by nonsense and misunderstanding as any "how does this science work."

Old 04-01-2020, 11:15 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,160,706 times
Quote:
Hoping for educated replies. No snark please
Is there any truth that 5G will disrupt the uptake of oxygen?

No. You'll still be able to breathe. When oxygen absorbs the radio energy it should lead to some degree of heating. This scientific study did not detect any tissue heating at 60 GHz:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4997488/

I believe 4G, wifi, and 5G are all harmless. Millions, if not a few billion, people have been exposed to microwave radiation from cell phones, cell towers and wifi routers at home and at work for decades now and there has been no global uptrend in cancer rates. If it was bad for us it would have shown up in the statistics by now.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:15 AM

Not exactly an answer to whether it affects hemoglobin, but interesting study.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...8/#!po=65.6250

Currently at this page
https://www.saferemr.com/2017/09/5g-...armful-to.html

Seems to be a lot of conspiracy type links to sort through to get legit answers. This is why I expect hostile replies. I just want real answers from real professionals.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
No. You'll still be able to breathe. When oxygen absorbs the radio energy it should lead to some degree of heating. This scientific study did not detect any tissue heating at 60 GHz:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4997488/

I believe 4G, wifi, and 5G are all harmless. Millions, if not a few billion, people have been exposed to microwave radiation from cell phones, cell towers and wifi routers at home and at work for decades now and there has been no global uptrend in cancer rates. If it was bad for us it would have shown up in the statistics by now.
Thank you. It looks like we found the same link. Im doubtful that it would pose that risk but I like to get legit answers in a world of speculation and misinformation.

Last edited by saltine; 04-01-2020 at 11:26 AM..

Old 04-01-2020, 04:03 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,918,341 times
I don't know this to be relevant however Iron is what carries oxygen through out the body. particularly to the brain.
I do not know that the iron in the body is susceptible to the magnetic fields other iron is , but suppose it is. "Hypothetically"
We know that the body is electrical and imbalances in this has an effect on it all.
If as an electrical influence which in fact does create a magnetic field the possibility of some influence in the iron in the blood cause may be clogging of arteries close enough to the magnetic field being generated. But if that were possible the MRI would not be safe to use, which in fact it is. the MRI magnetic strength is many thousand times the strength of the earth's magnetic fields.
The other factor is the electrical influence which is a form of radiation.
Those in radio know that especially strong radios emit the power to cook just exactly as a microwave. though you don't feel the heat it causes the H2o molecules to move rapidly and the friction causes heat in its influence thus shielding is very important especially around transmitters. Some have been playing with fluorescent lights next to antenna lighting them up only being in proximity.
it would not be unwise to put an aluminum sheet between you and your cell phone to shield the RF from your body. Even though you are not using it it is in fact hunting for a signal unless you actually shut it off.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:48 PM

61,629 posts, read 86,981,866 times
I think the answer is: we don't know, yet.

From: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6765906/
In order to evaluate and summarize the 6–100 GHz data in this review, we draw the following conclusions:

Regarding the health effects of MMW in the 6–100 GHz frequency range at power densities not exceeding the exposure guidelines the studies provide no clear evidence, due to contradictory information from the in vivo and in vitro investigations.

Regarding the possibility of “non-thermal” effects, the available studies provide no clear explanation of any mode of action of observed effects.

Regarding the quality of the presented studies, too few studies fulfill the minimal quality criteria to allow any further conclusions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology