Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2020, 08:13 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,743,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
If you had an ipod I assume you had itunes? Your itunes should contain all of your music. There are ways to get it from there to another type device or buy a used ipod/iphone on ebay. You could use an iphone just for music and not as a phone. I personally don't do apple and would recommend a regular MP3 player instead but this should be possible. You could also get literally any android phone and use just to play music.
Yes, iTunes (now Music) on your computer can sync with more than one player/phone.

Maybe it's time to be a two iPhone family?

Depends on the size of your music library, though. My iPhone has 64gb capacity and by no means can I fit all my music on it. So I just sync particular playlists.

Here's a recent review of alternatives to the iPod Classic. I have NO idea how they work with iTunes/Music, but I would assume that many, if not all, of them do. https://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/b...et-and-premium
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 11:17 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
OK...can't stream while I ride. My husband and I share one smartphone and he needs it while I ride as our only internet is by tethering to our phone. Country living, lol.

I will pay per song but I don't want a membership. I hate being tied into anything.
Another option is to get an older Android smartphone on a site like Swappa that takes a MicroSD card for extra storage. Something like the LG V20 has excellent sound quality, a headphone jack and a removable/replaceable battery. You can probably get one used in excellent condition for $100 and only use WiFi. Add around $20 for a case.

Load all your MP3s onto a 400GB MicroSD (around $80 now) and you’d be set. $200 all in.

Treat it like an iPod or MP3 player rather than a phone.

Old 04-16-2020, 11:19 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,389,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
If you had an ipod I assume you had itunes? Your itunes should contain all of your music. There are ways to get it from there to another type device or buy a used ipod/iphone on ebay. You could use an iphone just for music and not as a phone. I personally don't do apple and would recommend a regular MP3 player instead but this should be possible. You could also get literally any android phone and use just to play music.

I would need wifi to stream on a phone. Yes?

Can I move my iTunes music library to another format to load onto an MP3 player?

Old 04-16-2020, 11:52 AM

2,151 posts, read 1,355,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Now I just download videos then use FormatFactory (free) to convert it to MP3.
Where do you download videos from? Almost all sites do not allow you do download videos. For example, Youtube prohibits it.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
You can receive music over the cellular network. Of course, this is subject to interruptions, depending on your cell phone reception.

Which is one reason why I prefer to download to my music library.

If you mean you want to stream music from your phone to a stereo/speaker, that requires Bluetooth on both ends. Or you can just use a mini-jack.

Quote:
Can I move my iTunes music library to another format to load onto an MP3 player?
When shopping for an mp3 player to buy, be sure to ask how to do this. iTunes/Music has such a large user base that I'm sure that there are plenty of mp3 players that will do this relatively easily. Note that the format your songs are in will affect this. You might have to convert certain formats to mp3.

Last edited by jacqueg; 04-16-2020 at 01:26 PM..

Old 04-16-2020, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Where do you download videos from? Almost all sites do not allow you do download videos. For example, Youtube prohibits it.
You can capture them as they play on your computer and then convert them. As you note, not strictly legal. But it's easy to find apps that will do it.

Exercise your google chops for more info if you insist on doing it.

Old 04-16-2020, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You can capture them as they play on your computer and then convert them. As you note, not strictly legal. But it's easy to find apps that will do it.

Exercise your google chops for more info if you insist on doing it.
Oh, I know it CAN be done. But you're not allowed to do it by their TOS. I wouldn't think Mircea would suggest being a low life who breaks the law to get free entertainment (support piracy). I'd like to know what site he/she is using.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:03 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,159,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDoPhysicsPhD View Post
Oh, I know it CAN be done. But you're not allowed to do it by their TOS. I wouldn't think Mircea would suggest being a low life who breaks the law to get free entertainment (support piracy). I'd like to know what site he/she is using.
To our planet, welcome!

To help you enjoy your stay on our fascinating planet, you should know there are apps and software programs for everything, and most of them are free.

The entertainment is not free, since my taxes pay to run the patent office, not to mention the legal system.

And, the laws in Europe are different than US laws.

In the US, you're searched before entering a concert and recording devices are confiscated.

In Europe, nobody searches you and nobody gives a damn if you're 50 feet from the stage using a Nikon with a telephoto lens or a video camera or an audio recording device. They only give a damn if you try to sell the photos, videos or audio recordings and keep all the money for yourself.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
To our planet, welcome!

To help you enjoy your stay on our fascinating planet, you should know there are apps and software programs for everything, and most of them are free.

The entertainment is not free, since my taxes pay to run the patent office, not to mention the legal system.

And, the laws in Europe are different than US laws.

In the US, you're searched before entering a concert and recording devices are confiscated.

In Europe, nobody searches you and nobody gives a damn if you're 50 feet from the stage using a Nikon with a telephoto lens or a video camera or an audio recording device. They only give a damn if you try to sell the photos, videos or audio recordings and keep all the money for yourself.
I haven't stepped on your planet Mars yet, but I appreciate the welcome when I do.

I can tell that you are not from the US. In the US, the patent office and the judicial system does not make entertainment. You taxes do not go to the production of such entertainment.

Copyright laws are enforced in both Europe and the US. I don't know the details about European copyright laws, but recording a live performance does not violate copyright law. However, making use of a recorded performance (whether recorded in a studio or live in concert) without explicit permission is in violation of US copyright law.

I'm not sure if you're in support of the low life practice of piracy or you're really in Mars where these laws do not apply.

Old 04-16-2020, 02:33 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,473,517 times
Quote:

Yes and Yes. The streaming part is of course if you are not paying for cell service. You can use a cell phone with just wifi.

If the songs are downloaded/purchased from Apple, they will be protected and stored as M4P files.

If you got them from your own CDs , they should be stored as M4A files which are not protected, in this case Itunes itself should be able to convert to MP3

https://www.noteburner.com/drm-audio...4a-to-mp3.html

As for the M4P files, you will obviously need a 3rd party app to do it. Not entirely legal but it IS your music. This is one of the reasons I don't do anything Apple. They want to control everything and charge you money for everything whereas with MP3s you don't have that problem. I believe in open source, Apple is the opposite of that. Either way, I am pretty sure nobody is going to be knocking down your door because you decided to convert music that you own. I think as long as it's for personal use it's fine.

Just google "m4p to mp3" and you should find plenty of ways to do it.

Last edited by gguerra; 04-16-2020 at 02:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology