U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 04:22 AM

20,546 posts, read 27,272,519 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all of the information. I don't want to steal any music but yes would like to be able to convert "my" iTunes music to a new device I will also buy songs but I don't want a subscription. I don't like monthly bills Yesterday my iPod decided to work again. Go figure Anyway I will do my research into options as I don't know how long my iPod will last, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You can receive music over the cellular network. Of course, this is subject to interruptions, depending on your cell phone reception.

Which is one reason why I prefer to download to my music library.

If you mean you want to stream music from your phone to a stereo/speaker, that requires Bluetooth on both ends. Or you can just use a mini-jack.

When shopping for an mp3 player to buy, be sure to ask how to do this. iTunes/Music has such a large user base that I'm sure that there are plenty of mp3 players that will do this relatively easily. Note that the format your songs are in will affect this. You might have to convert certain formats to mp3.

TY. More research on my part

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Yes and Yes. The streaming part is of course if you are not paying for cell service. You can use a cell phone with just wifi.

If the songs are downloaded/purchased from Apple, they will be protected and stored as M4P files.

If you got them from your own CDs , they should be stored as M4A files which are not protected, in this case Itunes itself should be able to convert to MP3

https://www.noteburner.com/drm-audio...4a-to-mp3.html

As for the M4P files, you will obviously need a 3rd party app to do it. Not entirely legal but it IS your music. This is one of the reasons I don't do anything Apple. They want to control everything and charge you money for everything whereas with MP3s you don't have that problem. I believe in open source, Apple is the opposite of that. Either way, I am pretty sure nobody is going to be knocking down your door because you decided to convert music that you own. I think as long as it's for personal use it's fine.

Just google "m4p to mp3" and you should find plenty of ways to do it.
TY for all of that. I can't stream. Country living and terrible internet go hand and hand for me.

I will see what I can do with my iTunes library....if I can get into it. It has been years, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 01:57 AM

5,419 posts, read 1,988,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
I am old school and have my one and only I-pod since 2006 or so. It died yesterday and I have no idea how to replace it. I don't even know my account to find my old music file but that I will have to figure out.

Anyway...I have been looking at MP3 players. I will be using it while I bike, walk, do yard work etc. FM radio is a nice little bonus. So my questions:

1. Music? Where do people get their music/songs from? I don't want to subscribe to anything for a monthly fee. What are the best free sites?

2. Pros and cons of an MP3 player? Can I listen to podcasts on that? And where can I download those?

Sorry for the simple questions but I don't adapt to technological changes very well

Thank you for your help
I rip youtube videos and convert to MP3.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:37 AM

6,831 posts, read 4,122,840 times
I have a Sony mp3 player which works wonders and on which I have most of my music. I also have a smartphone but I don't find it very convenient for music listening in general. The Sony also has fm radio and bluetooth.

If you want to replace your Ipod you can buy a Sony, or a Cowon, or a Fiio, but then you also have cheaper options.

That said you can still find old Ipods on ebay, people actually refurbish them with an SD card (I assume you had an Ipod with a hard disk, the classic line with mad storage), and sell them. It's a good option for clickwheel fanatics !

Old 05-09-2020, 10:01 PM

5,419 posts, read 1,988,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forgotten username View Post
I have a Sony mp3 player which works wonders and on which I have most of my music. I also have a smartphone but I don't find it very convenient for music listening in general. The Sony also has fm radio and bluetooth.

If you want to replace your Ipod you can buy a Sony, or a Cowon, or a Fiio, but then you also have cheaper options.

That said you can still find old Ipods on ebay, people actually refurbish them with an SD card (I assume you had an Ipod with a hard disk, the classic line with mad storage), and sell them. It's a good option for clickwheel fanatics !
I have an MP3 player from walmart, cost $14 , the size of a stamp.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:58 AM

29,156 posts, read 35,571,922 times
Sansa Clip mp3 player. I either rip Cds (which I do still buy - I prefer to listen to them at home as they have a fuller sound) or I buy the mp3 version on Amazon. Also occasionally convert Youtube videos to mp3. Then just copy the files to the Sansa Clip player. I don't stream terribly often on my phone because I just prefer listening to my own specific music. I don't pay for any music services and would rather not.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:15 AM

6,831 posts, read 4,122,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Sansa Clip mp3 player. I either rip Cds (which I do still buy - I prefer to listen to them at home as they have a fuller sound) or I buy the mp3 version on Amazon. Also occasionally convert Youtube videos to mp3. Then just copy the files to the Sansa Clip player. I don't stream terribly often on my phone because I just prefer listening to my own specific music. I don't pay for any music services and would rather not.

Yeah the sansa clip series is great too ! I've had a few of them. Cheap and sounds good, and they weigh nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or