U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 05:10 AM

20,546 posts, read 27,270,134 times

Advertisements

I am old school and have my one and only I-pod since 2006 or so. It died yesterday and I have no idea how to replace it. I don't even know my account to find my old music file but that I will have to figure out.

Anyway...I have been looking at MP3 players. I will be using it while I bike, walk, do yard work etc. FM radio is a nice little bonus. So my questions:

1. Music? Where do people get their music/songs from? I don't want to subscribe to anything for a monthly fee. What are the best free sites?

2. Pros and cons of an MP3 player? Can I listen to podcasts on that? And where can I download those?

Sorry for the simple questions but I don't adapt to technological changes very well

Thank you for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 02:47 PM

9,987 posts, read 5,096,902 times
Spotify is possibly the best free site.

Old 04-15-2020, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Spotify is possibly the best free site.
TY. Can you save that music to your computer and then transfer to a device to listen to?

Old 04-15-2020, 06:37 AM

9,987 posts, read 5,096,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
TY. Can you save that music to your computer and then transfer to a device to listen to?
No, it’s streaming with ads.

There is no legal free service that would let you download music.

Honestly if you have a smartphone with cellular service wherever you go a streaming service is better than downloading MP3s.

Spotify Premium is $100 for a year. Other options are around the same - such as Apple Music.

I don’t understand the issue with paying when CDs or downloads would cost more unless you only listen to a handful of albums.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:29 AM

2,456 posts, read 532,634 times
All the stuff I listen to I can hear on youtube, probably there is the best free place.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:56 AM

21,028 posts, read 9,657,687 times
Quote:
I am old school and have my one and only I-pod since 2006 or so. It died yesterday and I have no idea how to replace it. I don't even know my account to find my old music file but that I will have to figure out.

Anyway...I have been looking at MP3 players. I will be using it while I bike, walk, do yard work etc. FM radio is a nice little bonus. So my questions:

1. Music? Where do people get their music/songs from? I don't want to subscribe to anything for a monthly fee. What are the best free sites?

2. Pros and cons of an MP3 player? Can I listen to podcasts on that? And where can I download those?

Sorry for the simple questions but I don't adapt to technological changes very well

Thank you for your help
I buy almost all of my music on eBay. CDs, especially for older music, are dirt cheap. And then you have them. Import them into iTunes, and listen away. You can store the CDs, or turn around and resell them. Buy one or two a month, won't take you long to really expand your collection. (Thrift store CDs are usually even cheaper.)

Pretty sure both Amazon and iTunes still allow you to pay for and download songs/albums. And then you have them, no streaming. Again, older is cheaper.

I have an older iPod too, and I periodically look for a player that is comparable. Haven't found one, I'm sure going to miss it when it's gone. But I can load music onto my iPhone as well, and I'm sure you can load music onto any smart phone.

A lot of broadcast radio stations have free smart phone (and computer) apps. Just look up the website of your favorite radio station to see whether they offer an app. One of my favorites is RadioParadise.

Dunno about podcasts, I just never got into them. But I bet google is your friend here.

Last edited by jacqueg; 04-15-2020 at 10:10 AM..

Old 04-15-2020, 02:38 PM

22,067 posts, read 15,418,972 times
Quote:
Useless Tube.

The last time I paid for music was 2006 and that was only because it was a re-mastered track I couldn't find anywhere else.

I used to use a website called BeeMP3. I haven't used it in probably 6-8 years.

Now I just download videos then use FormatFactory (free) to convert it to MP3.

I have an anonymizer. You can find those anywhere on the net. If I can't download a video, I just re-route my IP address through another country, like Romania, so I can snag the video and download it.

I use Audacity. It's free.

I increase the dB, so when I play songs on Winamp or AIMP, the volume is set to half but the song plays as though it were at full volume.

I sing in the Key of G, so I will often alter the pitch on Audacity to match G, B or D so I can play my guitar and sing along.

Some tracks are FUBAR. On Folsom Prison Blues by Johnny Cash, the guitars were not exactly in standard tuning and the master was fast. It's actually a quarter tone shy of F, so I adjusted the pitch and speed to make it in standard tuning so I don't have to mess with my guitar.

A lot of people regularly play in E-Flat. I adjust the pitch to make it E so I don't have to mess with my guitars.

I pull a lot of older tracks, too, from like the 1920s-1940s, recorded on 78 rpm. I use Audacity to get rid of the pops and hiss. I don't always do that, but if I'm going to transcribe it I do.

Audacity lets you save files in any format you want. I've compared FLAC and WAV with MP3, and I can't tell a difference, even though people swear up and down there is.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:57 PM

21,028 posts, read 9,657,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I buy almost all of my music on eBay. CDs, especially for older music, are dirt cheap. And then you have them. Import them into iTunes, and listen away. You can store the CDs, or turn around and resell them. Buy one or two a month, won't take you long to really expand your collection. (Thrift store CDs are usually even cheaper.)

Pretty sure both Amazon and iTunes still allow you to pay for and download songs/albums. And then you have them, no streaming. Again, older is cheaper.

I have an older iPod too, and I periodically look for a player that is comparable. Haven't found one, I'm sure going to miss it when it's gone. But I can load music onto my iPhone as well, and I'm sure you can load music onto any smart phone.

A lot of broadcast radio stations have free smart phone (and computer) apps. Just look up the website of your favorite radio station to see whether they offer an app. One of my favorites is RadioParadise.

Dunno about podcasts, I just never got into them. But I bet google is your friend here.
I forgot to include checking out CDs from your library. I do that when, for whatever reason, I don't buy my own CDs.

Old 04-16-2020, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
No, it’s streaming with ads.

There is no legal free service that would let you download music.

Honestly if you have a smartphone with cellular service wherever you go a streaming service is better than downloading MP3s.

Spotify Premium is $100 for a year. Other options are around the same - such as Apple Music.

I don’t understand the issue with paying when CDs or downloads would cost more unless you only listen to a handful of albums.
OK...can't stream while I ride. My husband and I share one smartphone and he needs it while I ride as our only internet is by tethering to our phone. Country living, lol.

I will pay per song but I don't want a membership. I hate being tied into anything.

Old 04-16-2020, 07:38 AM

4,461 posts, read 3,013,058 times
Quote:
OK...can't stream while I ride. My husband and I share one smartphone and he needs it while I ride as our only internet is by tethering to our phone. Country living, lol.

I will pay per song but I don't want a membership. I hate being tied into anything.
If you had an ipod I assume you had itunes? Your itunes should contain all of your music. There are ways to get it from there to another type device or buy a used ipod/iphone on ebay. You could use an iphone just for music and not as a phone. I personally don't do apple and would recommend a regular MP3 player instead but this should be possible. You could also get literally any android phone and use just to play music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or