U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2020, 05:14 PM

3,005 posts, read 3,967,348 times

Advertisements

I know this could fit in several different forums, but since this deals with the science of infection:

Being here in NYC, when I think about all the confined spaces that we're in (elevators, subways, restaurants, etc), one thing has been running through my mind:

What is the link between proper ventilation and airborne disease? Just as back in the 1800s, our "war" against disease was solved more by proper sanitation practices and providing clean drinking water than "cures" for various bacteria, is the answer to this crisis more in focusing on making the air in indoor spaces cleaner via air movement? I wonder if for example subway cars had fans directed to pull air up and out of the car like a vacuum it would suck our respiration (and thus infection) out of the confined space and reduce viral load. No, I get that if someone is right next to me it probably won't do much good, but at least it would help not get the whole car infected.

What is the science on this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2020, 05:38 PM

1,985 posts, read 503,478 times
The evidence is that the disease is transmitted via droplets (and micro-droplets) of moisture from an infected individual. The biggest risk is from a sneeze or cough creating hundreds of thousands of such droplets, not all of which are heavy enough to immediately sink out of the air. But heavy breathing may be enough to produce such an aerosol, and in close confines, it could be enough to transmit the virus.

Hence masks being the primary form of defense. If droplets more or less can't escape from you, they can't affect anyone else. If you're protected against breathing in any droplets, you're much safer. Masks don't necessarily need to be N95 or fine enough to stop the virus itself, just any droplet of moisture or aerosol large enough to be a vector.

The evidence is good that a decent mask AND washing all exposed skin, especially hands, as soon as you can after public exposure is very effective. Not 100%, no. But probably good enough, on a cooperative and herd basis, to keep this virus from propagating any further, any faster, and any longer than it has to.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:36 PM

5,910 posts, read 1,387,135 times
Poor ventilation allows aerosols to spread further without significant dispersal. It has been measured propagating out to fifteen feet. Six feet is probably just a reasonable compromise that lowers the R-naught sufficiently. But being outdoors in the Sun and wind is likely a good thing.

Old 05-11-2020, 09:45 AM

982 posts, read 1,345,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
I know this could fit in several different forums, but since this deals with the science of infection:

Being here in NYC, when I think about all the confined spaces that we're in (elevators, subways, restaurants, etc), one thing has been running through my mind:

What is the link between proper ventilation and airborne disease? Just as back in the 1800s, our "war" against disease was solved more by proper sanitation practices and providing clean drinking water than "cures" for various bacteria, is the answer to this crisis more in focusing on making the air in indoor spaces cleaner via air movement? I wonder if for example subway cars had fans directed to pull air up and out of the car like a vacuum it would suck our respiration (and thus infection) out of the confined space and reduce viral load. No, I get that if someone is right next to me it probably won't do much good, but at least it would help not get the whole car infected.

What is the science on this?

while not a perfect article, it is worthwhile reading

https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the...hem-avoid-them

in general, long duration in enclosed spaces = not good

infection = duration x dosage

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or