Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,084 times

Advertisements

when I was attending school in the 80s they had old calculators with a back up battery if needed. And you would have thought many more solar things suddenly would be on many aisles of electronics.
but yet however it seems the electric cords and batteries is what stores keep selling. And cars of of gasoline and other new ways to fuel cars.

So I would like to ask this. If it only takes the sun and or some amount of light to absorb and create energy to make things work such as electric and other things we own? How come solar is not more popular in this twenty first century science and technology.? why aren't people buying solar clocks, tv sets, radios, fridges and cars plus more solar energy.?

why do people keep buying batteries, gas when they can use solar instead? I guess to me it is a mystery. What is preventing all the things to switch to the solar energy idea? I am not an electronic expert to say. maybe I am more of a common sense person . .

so that's why I am asking those here who maybe know more upon this issue. Have you wondered this also? Maybe there is more solar going on than I know. . Please explain these things or your opinion at best.

If solar is provided today outside of house solar panels what today is being sold on the markets to purchase items that are solar. Such as radios, tv sets or anything? Because I would like to buy some of these if anyone knows of how this works . .

thanks for encouraging comments ideas etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2020, 06:11 AM

4,085 posts, read 2,977,065 times
I have Citizen Eco-Drive Railroad Approved watch. This is an ideal application for solar power. After the battery has been changed a number of times, the gasket will fail, allowing moisture into the watch. Since my watch does not have a replaceable battery, I never have to visit a jewelry store, and my watch remains sealed against dirt and moisture.

I have been buying solar powered calculators for quite a while. However, they do not work in the dark. In fact, I have to keep the one in the car out in the open; it is reluctant to work if I store it in one of the compartments.

The main problem with solar energy is that it takes a large area to accumulate much power. In northeast Ohio, I like to say that there are elementary school-aged children who have never seen a sunny day. Then there is the problem of storing power during the night. Batteries are a real pain to deal with. They leak, they need constant charging at controlled rates, they grow old and die.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:19 AM

7,220 posts, read 4,496,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrahland View Post
why do people keep buying batteries, gas when they can use solar instead? I guess to me it is a mystery. What is preventing all the things to switch to the solar energy idea? I am not an electronic expert to say. maybe I am more of a common sense person . .:
My guess, Solar doesn't actually work that well. And it is more expensive. It is just not worth the effort.

An overarching thing is typically in the past scientific leaps were not made until there was a great need for a whole bunch of advancement. Such as a war or the space race.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:32 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,008,209 times
It seems like the transportation industry has adopted solar power for some high-profile uses.

My city has several solar-charged speed-display signs. I also used to work at a place that had solar-charged temporary lighting.

I've also noticed it being used to power highway temperature sensors on remote bridges.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:57 PM

15,698 posts, read 6,407,490 times
Technologically, solar power and fusion power have proven difficult problems to solve. Previous technology represented the low-hanging fruit of potential progress. It was easy to make chemicals explode because of all the oxygen in the atmosphere, but more difficult to convert sunlight into electricity or crush hydrogen together to create helium.

Old 04-20-2020, 08:31 AM

4,085 posts, read 2,977,065 times
I have a March 2008 Mensa Bulletin which includes an article about the solar home of Dave Broyles. Most of the home is 24V DC. He uses 1350 watts of solar panels, and a battery pack consisting of 12 VRLA lead calcium glass pack batteries. As he lives in the big island of Hawaii, the home has neither heat nor A/C.

The Email address in the article is no longer valid.

Old 04-20-2020, 10:53 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,218,366 times
It's all about what works, technically, for the use to which it's put.

Solar powered roadway warning signs are an excellent example - how do you get a (relatively) small amount of electrical power to a remote location without power lines? Solar panels, baby!

Now let's talk about cars - how do you power a 4000 lb. vehicle at up to 80 mph for 300-500 miles at a shot, yet be able to resume travel after 10 minutes? Solar technology ain't gonna do it. Even the very most advanced ($$$$) battery technology isn't really there. Nope, for now the only thing that allows you to have that capability for a purchase price of $20,000 is a gasoline or diesel fueled automobile.

In other words, it's those pesky laws of physics and finance.

Old 04-21-2020, 08:28 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,868,443 times
Powering small device like a calculator or watch is much different than powering the grid. If the watch or calculator fails due to lack of power not a real big deal and if that;s important you'll use some other source if solar power cant be guaranteed....

Keyword is guaranteed. While there is 100% guaranteed that coal, natural gas or nuclear is going to provide the power you need is as close as you are going to get.

Here is the dilemma with solar and wind. If you were to replace the conventional capacity with wind and solar and have ideal day you might be able to power the country for 8 hours. You need the capacity and storage to meet your overnight requirements. If the next days is not ideal? Your capacity and storage requirements just grew 4 or 5 times.

When it's 0 degrees out in the northeast US, no sun or wind, utilities are hitting record demand at 8AM and it's going to be like that for the next week? What if it's some 1000 year event and stays like that for 2 weeks? As you can now imagine the cost would be enormous.

While on the topic any viable storage method is actually more applicable to conventional power.

Old 06-01-2020, 04:24 AM

6,908 posts, read 6,819,931 times
Nikola Tesla invented some seriously awsome things, but... supposedly the government ran off with them all. Now, if we had some of those we would be a lot further on in our technology.

The government also disallow patents on some inventions on National Security grounds. This means there are probably many inventions which have been suppressed or confiscated in the power generation areas. We will never know.

Triangle craft are powered and they probably do not use nuclear or battery power. They certainly do not use rockets or jets and probably dont use oil as the basis for their fuel either.

I assume these triangular craft are something the military is keeping secret - or at least they have back-engineered the details from the craft they discovered crashed in the wilderness. So, if the military disclosed the power source many of our power problems would be resolved. Thats where we need to look for the next power revolution.

Old 06-04-2020, 09:49 PM

4,173 posts, read 4,412,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Nikola Tesla invented some seriously awsome things, but... supposedly the government ran off with them all. Now, if we had some of those we would be a lot further on in our technology.

The government also disallow patents on some inventions on National Security grounds. This means there are probably many inventions which have been suppressed or confiscated in the power generation areas. We will never know.

Triangle craft are powered and they probably do not use nuclear or battery power. They certainly do not use rockets or jets and probably dont use oil as the basis for their fuel either.

I assume these triangular craft are something the military is keeping secret - or at least they have back-engineered the details from the craft they discovered crashed in the wilderness. So, if the military disclosed the power source many of our power problems would be resolved. Thats where we need to look for the next power revolution.

Yes I wouldn't doubt there's a lot of stuff out there the general public is not allowed to know about. I recall reading about the Magnesium Zinc Bismuth alloy sandwich sample that was analyzed. Makes you wonder what indeed may be operational to account for many of the 'sightings' of craft with incredible speed and maneuverability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology