U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 11:14 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,089,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Caller ID spoofing is legal in most cases but it shouldn't be. When you think of the original idea of caller ID - if advertisers and crooks can do it, there is almost no point in having caller ID.

And telemarketers always do it. They also make it seem like they are calling from my own area code, so I will think it's somebody nearby. But they do this so much, it just tells me it's somebody I don't know.

Are the laws different if someone is calling from outside the US? If so, they need to work on that too.

The govt needs to write new laws about it or they need to enforce the laws more. I have a right to know who is calling me. It does work if a real friend is calling me.

I started reporting spam calls on a site called Report Unwanted Calls. You tell them the number that called, your own number and the time and date. I have no idea if it will help.
Spoofing should be illegal. I really don't see any legitimate reason to spoof your number, block it yes, spoof it no. You can download an app to send all calls except contacts to your voice mail (cell phone) or if you have a home phone you might go to nomorobo.com and sign up. Free for home phones and probably gets about 80-90% of these calls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 11:24 AM

1,977 posts, read 503,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Spoofing should be illegal. I really don't see any legitimate reason to spoof your number, block it yes, spoof it no. You can download an app to send all calls except contacts to your voice mail (cell phone) or if you have a home phone you might go to nomorobo.com and sign up. Free for home phones and probably gets about 80-90% of these calls.
No, there's no legitimate reason for it, any more than there is for spam email, crap bulk mailings and flyers stuck in your front door. But to summarize what I've said, it's a very weak system never intended for third-party access and there is likely no technical way to fix it; the laws and regulations have piled up with little or no effect except to ensure that spam calls are from the lowest, skankiest levels of caller.

If your landline/home phone provider doesn't offer a full range of tools to manage unwanted calls (and all other phone service features), you need to switch. Plain Ma Bell service with a few star codes is twenty years out of date.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:48 PM

5,572 posts, read 1,600,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Caller ID spoofing is legal in most cases but it shouldn't be. When you think of the original idea of caller ID - if advertisers and crooks can do it, there is almost no point in having caller ID.

And telemarketers always do it. They also make it seem like they are calling from my own area code, so I will think it's somebody nearby. But they do this so much, it just tells me it's somebody I don't know.

Are the laws different if someone is calling from outside the US? If so, they need to work on that too.

The govt needs to write new laws about it or they need to enforce the laws more. I have a right to know who is calling me. It does work if a real friend is calling me.

I started reporting spam calls on a site called Report Unwanted Calls. You tell them the number that called, your own number and the time and date. I have no idea if it will help.
There are no laws prohibiting advertising a different number. I work for a telephone company and as long as they send us the real number from their real location to authenticate the call (in a certain space called a Diversion header) they are allowed to "advertise" any number when making outbound calls.

This was originally put in place so that you could make it look like you were "calling from" a toll-free number, when toll-free is an inbound-only product.

Technicalities aside, the way we are addressing robocalls is not effective. The solutions I have fall on deaf ears, yet would be 100% effective and eventually (and legally) put the spammers out of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology