U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-01-2020, 11:14 AM
 
2,660 posts, read 1,492,545 times
Reputation: 5274

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Caller ID spoofing is legal in most cases but it shouldn't be. When you think of the original idea of caller ID - if advertisers and crooks can do it, there is almost no point in having caller ID.

And telemarketers always do it. They also make it seem like they are calling from my own area code, so I will think it's somebody nearby. But they do this so much, it just tells me it's somebody I don't know.

Are the laws different if someone is calling from outside the US? If so, they need to work on that too.

The govt needs to write new laws about it or they need to enforce the laws more. I have a right to know who is calling me. It does work if a real friend is calling me.

I started reporting spam calls on a site called Report Unwanted Calls. You tell them the number that called, your own number and the time and date. I have no idea if it will help.
Spoofing should be illegal. I really don't see any legitimate reason to spoof your number, block it yes, spoof it no. You can download an app to send all calls except contacts to your voice mail (cell phone) or if you have a home phone you might go to nomorobo.com and sign up. Free for home phones and probably gets about 80-90% of these calls.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-01-2020, 11:24 AM
 
3,071 posts, read 1,158,525 times
Reputation: 5196
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthofHere View Post
Spoofing should be illegal. I really don't see any legitimate reason to spoof your number, block it yes, spoof it no. You can download an app to send all calls except contacts to your voice mail (cell phone) or if you have a home phone you might go to nomorobo.com and sign up. Free for home phones and probably gets about 80-90% of these calls.
No, there's no legitimate reason for it, any more than there is for spam email, crap bulk mailings and flyers stuck in your front door. But to summarize what I've said, it's a very weak system never intended for third-party access and there is likely no technical way to fix it; the laws and regulations have piled up with little or no effect except to ensure that spam calls are from the lowest, skankiest levels of caller.

If your landline/home phone provider doesn't offer a full range of tools to manage unwanted calls (and all other phone service features), you need to switch. Plain Ma Bell service with a few star codes is twenty years out of date.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2020, 03:48 PM
 
6,507 posts, read 2,211,260 times
Reputation: 7852
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Caller ID spoofing is legal in most cases but it shouldn't be. When you think of the original idea of caller ID - if advertisers and crooks can do it, there is almost no point in having caller ID.

And telemarketers always do it. They also make it seem like they are calling from my own area code, so I will think it's somebody nearby. But they do this so much, it just tells me it's somebody I don't know.

Are the laws different if someone is calling from outside the US? If so, they need to work on that too.

The govt needs to write new laws about it or they need to enforce the laws more. I have a right to know who is calling me. It does work if a real friend is calling me.

I started reporting spam calls on a site called Report Unwanted Calls. You tell them the number that called, your own number and the time and date. I have no idea if it will help.
There are no laws prohibiting advertising a different number. I work for a telephone company and as long as they send us the real number from their real location to authenticate the call (in a certain space called a Diversion header) they are allowed to "advertise" any number when making outbound calls.

This was originally put in place so that you could make it look like you were "calling from" a toll-free number, when toll-free is an inbound-only product.

Technicalities aside, the way we are addressing robocalls is not effective. The solutions I have fall on deaf ears, yet would be 100% effective and eventually (and legally) put the spammers out of business.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2021, 11:28 AM
 
2,816 posts, read 5,377,820 times
Reputation: 1125
The government is trying to do something about spoofing:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/02/tech/...ken/index.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-08-2021, 01:50 PM
 
17,271 posts, read 7,406,547 times
Reputation: 21661
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
There are no laws prohibiting advertising a different number. I work for a telephone company and as long as they send us the real number from their real location to authenticate the call (in a certain space called a Diversion header) they are allowed to "advertise" any number when making outbound calls.

There should be laws against impersonating someone else by claiming to be from their number, though. If you, as a robocaller, want to identify yourself as the President of the US, that's fine. But don't identify yourself as me, with my number.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2021, 08:25 PM
 
16 posts, read 1,332 times
Reputation: 20
Angry  

Im sick of spoofing.. We get calls saying its our own # calling! (I have put SKIP PASSWORD off on our voicemail because if it sees OUR # it used to let them right in,no code)

Why is it so easy to do this???


Is this reply ok??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2021, 10:27 AM
 
2,757 posts, read 1,394,367 times
Reputation: 4840
Someone called me who evidently got a call from my number. They left a rather nasty message for me to stop calling them. Then they blew a whistle into the phone for about 20 seconds. I saved this message.

I never answer the phone if I don't know who is calling. If it's really for me, they will leave a message.

I'm on verizon and I haven't had a spam or spoofed call in a a week. I wonder if this service is already working?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2021, 05:23 PM
 
16 posts, read 1,332 times
Reputation: 20
Yes well in your case I hope so..... Thats aweful someone is using your # thiers and harrassing people with it...... I just cannot believe this can go on and on!! (And not be detected somehow)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2021, 06:29 PM
 
2,757 posts, read 1,394,367 times
Reputation: 4840
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcood View Post
Yes well in your case I hope so..... Thats aweful someone is using your # thiers and harrassing people with it...... I just cannot believe this can go on and on!! (And not be detected somehow)
It would be nice to be able to stop it, but eventually everyone will know about this if it continues to happen. I notice it more because I no longer live in the same area code where I got the mobile phone number but I kept the same number.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top