Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 01:12 PM

3,525 posts, read 6,519,851 times

Advertisements

Caller ID spoofing is legal in most cases but it shouldn't be. When you think of the original idea of caller ID - if advertisers and crooks can do it, there is almost no point in having caller ID.

And telemarketers always do it. They also make it seem like they are calling from my own area code, so I will think it's somebody nearby. But they do this so much, it just tells me it's somebody I don't know.

Are the laws different if someone is calling from outside the US? If so, they need to work on that too.

The govt needs to write new laws about it or they need to enforce the laws more. I have a right to know who is calling me. It does work if a real friend is calling me.

I started reporting spam calls on a site called Report Unwanted Calls. You tell them the number that called, your own number and the time and date. I have no idea if it will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 01:33 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,195,221 times
A lot of the time, as with robocalls, the calls originate from some other jurisdiction that either does not have a law against the practice or is simply impractical to try and force compliance from. IIRC, California outlawed robocalls long before most states... but the callers simply moved their call point to Nevada or wherever, effectively mooting the law. Ditto for most regs about cal times, Caller ID, etc.

Yep, it makes it pretty much worthless. I simply don't answer any call I don't recognize and wait for a voicemail notice. Every so often, I go through the list and block the repeated offenders.

Old 05-29-2020, 02:17 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
A lot of the time, as with robocalls, the calls originate from some other jurisdiction that either does not have a law against the practice or is simply impractical to try and force compliance from. IIRC, California outlawed robocalls long before most states... but the callers simply moved their call point to Nevada or wherever, effectively mooting the law. Ditto for most regs about cal times, Caller ID, etc.

Yep, it makes it pretty much worthless. I simply don't answer any call I don't recognize and wait for a voicemail notice. Every so often, I go through the list and block the repeated offenders.
Exactly. My cell phone allows me to send calls from people not on my contact list straight to voice mail. I also block all calls, except for about three people on my contact list, between the hours of 8 pm and 9 am.

A smart phone is a wonderful device. Everyone should use one.

Old 05-29-2020, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
EA smart phone is a wonderful device. Everyone should use one.
Pretty much everyone does.

OTOH, I was talking about my landline, which is also my primary mobile number.

A follow-me phone service is a wonderful thing. Everyone should have it.

Old 05-30-2020, 06:15 AM

4,138 posts, read 3,042,421 times
The TRACED Act is supposed to take care of caller ID spoofing. I still want to see a Do Not Call list that includes political, non-profit, and surveys, and the option to block all calls originating from outside of the US.

Old 05-30-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
The TRACED Act is supposed to take care of caller ID spoofing.
Unless it requires technical implementation at the provider level, it will be meaningless. The ability to spoof is in the hands of the average street thug.

Quote:
I still want to see a Do Not Call list that includes political, non-profit, and surveys, and the option to block all calls originating from outside of the US.
I can block international calls. If you can't, change providers.

The idea that politicians would vote for a package meaning their fund-raisers and "pollsters" can't call blind is charming. The idea that they would cut the legs out from under non-government funding channels for NPOs is unlikely.

Unfortunately.

I don't get many spam calls and it's easy to ignore those as flagged from "800 PROVIDER," which is some sort of generic flag my service uses for all non-individual callers. My peeve is the calls that flag as [LOCAL] POLICE, which I am of course going to answer... and every time it's another pitch for donations to one of their charities. They shouldn't be allowed to use that CID for those calls.

Old 05-31-2020, 12:37 PM

3,525 posts, read 6,519,851 times
What we need is a law that forbids software that lets people change the caller ID number and name. And it has to apply everywhere.
Another option is to setup the phone system so that it ignores it when people try to change the number and name. It would have to work throughout the whole world.
I forgot to mention, I get these calls mostly on a landline. But the idea's the same.

Old 05-31-2020, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
What we need is a law that forbids software that lets people change the caller ID number and name. And it has to apply everywhere.
In foreign countries? That's the last step for evading US telecom rules. Even less likely to happen than domestically, and "the software used" can be built in a basement workshop with wood scraps.

Quote:
Another option is to setup the phone system so that it ignores it when people try to change the number and name.
CID is a very, very simple system, about one step below texting. It's a blind send of the call information that fits in between essential call signals and won't disrupt either the oldest or newest phone. What you're suggesting is turning texting into realtime chatting... a huge implementation step.

It's largely a lost cause until we replace the Ma Bell-based phone network, something that's been vaguely on the horizon for a while. (And that includes pretty much everything in use; even 5G cell service adheres to 1950s-era standards.)

Use CID like any other semi-reliable tool — like the outside of an envelope from an unknown sender. Most of us can spot unwanted junk mail when we see it.

Old 05-31-2020, 03:26 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,083,237 times
Why can't they require the provider to require that calls that connect thru them provide the real number they are connecting from. Verizon, ATT, whooever owns the switch that send the call do my phone should know who they are getting the call from so they should be able to verify the caller id signal they are sending to my phone is correct.

Old 05-31-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Why can't they require the provider to require that calls that connect thru them provide the real number they are connecting from. Verizon, ATT, whooever owns the switch that send the call do my phone should know who they are getting the call from so they should be able to verify the caller id signal they are sending to my phone is correct.
There is a "professional" grade caller identification technology known as ANI (Automatic Number Identification), but it's never been implemented down to regular subscriber lines. It's used for commercial service and requires (what used to be) costly hardware to process.

CID, again like texting, was patched into an unused corner of standard phone service tech, which is why it's free.

But if you want ANI, you can have it. Just open up that wallet and ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology