U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2020, 03:02 PM

670 posts, read 247,057 times

Advertisements

https://www.facebook.com/5min.crafts...17648861996144

Look at the hack that starts at 0:35. Basically it says when putting soda back in fridge, squeeze out the air to "keep the fizzle". I suppose that means Keeping CO2 in the liquid.

But does that really work? I thought pressure will keep the CO2 in the liquid......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2020, 03:20 PM

2,041 posts, read 519,230 times
No, it will backfire, as I found out when I was an exceedingly clever 12 year old who first worked this out and then discovered it didn't work.

The ONLY things keeping CO2 dissolved are pressure and temperature. And while you can keep an open soda at 35 degrees and a closed one at 120, it's the latter that will retain its fizz.

The back pressure from empty space in the bottle will allow more of the CO2 to leach out of the liquid, but it will reach equilibrium and retain some fizz, especially if kept cold. If you squeeze down the bottle, you are leaving MORE room for CO2 to escape, with a lower net saturation in the liquid. That is, instead of starting against atmospheric pressure when the cap is screwed on, a squished bottle has (effectively) much lower pressure, and more gas will leave the mix to bring it up to a static pressure.

Brilliant idea, if I do say so myself. But fundamentally flawed. As I was once told by... a friend.

Old 06-20-2020, 10:49 AM

5,937 posts, read 1,395,344 times
^ Yep, exactly. Better to apply an over-pressure, if possible.

Old 06-20-2020, 11:01 AM

670 posts, read 247,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
No, it will backfire, as I found out when I was an exceedingly clever 12 year old who first worked this out and then discovered it didn't work.

The ONLY things keeping CO2 dissolved are pressure and temperature. And while you can keep an open soda at 35 degrees and a closed one at 120, it's the latter that will retain its fizz.

The back pressure from empty space in the bottle will allow more of the CO2 to leach out of the liquid, but it will reach equilibrium and retain some fizz, especially if kept cold. If you squeeze down the bottle, you are leaving MORE room for CO2 to escape, with a lower net saturation in the liquid. That is, instead of starting against atmospheric pressure when the cap is screwed on, a squished bottle has (effectively) much lower pressure, and more gas will leave the mix to bring it up to a static pressure.

Brilliant idea, if I do say so myself. But fundamentally flawed. As I was once told by... a friend.
Isn't it so weird that someone would go thru the hassle of making a video of an idea so obviously wrong?!

Old 06-20-2020, 12:14 PM

2,041 posts, read 519,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Isn't it so weird that someone would go thru the hassle of making a video of an idea so obviously wrong?!
In 2020? (And you can read that as both "in this, our enlightened future" and "in this bizarre time.") You must be joking...

Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM

972 posts, read 250,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertFisher View Post
Have you been paying attention to anything recently?

Old Today, 05:13 PM

181 posts, read 23,411 times
Negative pressure will decrease the CO2 in the soda. Positive pressure will increase the CO2 in the soda.

Stop watching Facebook videos. They make people dumb.

Old Today, 06:28 PM

3,999 posts, read 1,564,180 times
Now here's what really happens: at the bottling plant, CO2 is injected into the liquid under pressure and the bottle is sealed. The gas in solution reaches equilibrium with the gas in the small air space left in the bottle. When you open the bottle, it fizzes because now the gas in the liquid is driven to reach equilibrium with the partial pressure of co2 in the atmosphere.

If you just screw the top back on, the co2 remaining in the liquid (now at much lower pressure) will seek to equilibrate with the co2 in the larger air gap. If you crush the plastic bottle before re-sealing, you are effectively making a smaller air gap, so less co2 will be able to escape the liquid as it equilibrates pressures.

Crushing the bottle does NOT cause a "vacuum." If there were a vacuum, the bottle would be crushed flatter by the atmospheric pressure.

Crushing the bottle before resealing does not increase the co2 fizz, it just slows down the further loss of co2 a little---Most of the fizz was lost on initial opening as artificially high pressure quickly equilibrated with the atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology