Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2020, 02:37 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,776,452 times

Advertisements

I am investigating gridless solar options, if they exist at all.
Due to some government regulation, the solar panel inverters have a built-in disable feature, so when the grid is down they will not produce any energy. It has the justification as to save the grid line workers from electrocution. They could save them simply by using automatic transfer switches, this really does not need to be built into each solar panel's micro-inverter. But it is, thanks to the government.
Even with this limitation, the micro inverters could be tricked to see the AC signal, by a device powered from the backup battery. This is where the Tesla backup Gateway-2 box comes in. Unfortunately I could not find any technical information about whether the device actually implements this feature or not.

Needed features:
- provide AC to solar panel's micro-inverters, from battery, to start
- auto transfer switch, isolating the grid when it is down
- prevent full depletion of battery by household loads, to allow some energy for microinverter-restart next day.

Do you have a Tesla backed solar system that you have seen operating without grid for days?
I mean multiple recharge cycles between battery<-->solar ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2020, 09:02 PM

666 posts, read 424,586 times
Quote:
It has the justification as to save the grid line workers from electrocution.

I am continually impressed by the lengths to which incumbent industries will go in order to protect the status quo. The whole 'sell the excess energy back to the power company' deal was already a thinly veiled move to keep people domesticated to power grid dependency.
<br />
<br />

If this new inverter anti-feature is true, I would be looking instead to source my inverters from the aviation or maritime industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology