Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 09:49 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times

Advertisements

I don't use antivirus and haven't used them on my personal machines for over a decade. I'm a security consultant expert in the field. I'll tell you why antivirus products don't work because every hack out there today uses exploits that are user mode and not system infections. You don't need the virus software anymore, just take a any system security course. There are plenty of free online education on how viruses and attacks work.

I get paid to tell companies to use security software yet, they still get hacked because people fail to follow best practice and hackers and virus writers knows how to get around antivirus and security software.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2021, 09:24 AM

244 posts, read 235,654 times
I always heard that Apple encrypted their devices but Microsoft didn’t. And hackers had less hate for Apple and/or, Apple traditionally had such a small market share that hackers didn’t bother with them. From the news we know that Apple cares about customer security so much they fought the US government to keep from breaking into a customer’s phone.

For sure cyber security begins at home. DON’T CLICK ON LINKS IN EMAILS...100% effective antivirus. 100% of the links you don’t click will not hurt your system.

Old 02-08-2021, 10:00 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,256,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djkingman View Post
I always heard that Apple encrypted their devices but Microsoft didn’t. And hackers had less hate for Apple and/or, Apple traditionally had such a small market share that hackers didn’t bother with them. From the news we know that Apple cares about customer security so much they fought the US government to keep from breaking into a customer’s phone.

For sure cyber security begins at home. DON’T CLICK ON LINKS IN EMAILS...100% effective antivirus. 100% of the links you don’t click will not hurt your system.

But, if we do not click on links in emails, we'll never get to City Data.

Oh, I suppose we could but a tad more complicated route. No?

Old 02-08-2021, 11:51 AM

244 posts, read 235,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
But, if we do not click on links in emails, we'll never get to City Data.

Oh, I suppose we could but a tad more complicated route. No?
It’s all fun and games until that one hacker makes their spoof email look too much like the emails from city-data.com.

Old 02-08-2021, 02:44 PM

608 posts, read 516,075 times
I am not really good with computer security so I use a paid anti virus. I've been using nod 32 for years now and I never bothers me in any way. I used Norton so long ago that I had to use little floppy discs to back things up on it, and every time it updated it would minimize any window I had opened including any game I happened to be playing at the time like in the middle of a raid or combat in mass multi player online games like Everquest. Quick death and sometimes a very long and difficult corpse run.

Old 02-10-2021, 03:07 AM

226 posts, read 158,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I don't use antivirus and haven't used them on my personal machines for over a decade. I'm a security consultant expert in the field. I'll tell you why antivirus products don't work because every hack out there today uses exploits that are user mode and not system infections. You don't need the virus software anymore, just take a any system security course. There are plenty of free online education on how viruses and attacks work.

I get paid to tell companies to use security software yet, they still get hacked because people fail to follow best practice and hackers and virus writers knows how to get around antivirus and security software.

X2

as a user - steer clear of risky websites, do not open suspicous emails..

I have Windows 10 - use Defender.
Free Malarebytes.
Adblock -I get zero popups.

The anti-virus programs are IMO - SNAKE OIL -just like Lifelock & Homelock. (PT Barnum smiles)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology