Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 09:41 AM

724 posts, read 503,332 times

Advertisements

As I've mentioned on at least another thread , I'm planning on buying a big plot of land that I'd be ( at the very least ) putting up a mobile home on , if not building a house on .

Naturally I'm going at it from the angle of buying an undeveloped plot of land ( i.e. no sewer/no power grid ) and then making it habitable via putting in a septic tank/an electrical generator and such .

What I'm especially interested in is the aspect of using Wifi while off grid , since while it's apparently possible ( https://downtoearthhomesteaders.com/...ving-off-grid/ ) I've heard very mixed opinions about the whole affair .

All in all while I'm a relatively handy fellow , I have absolutely zero experience starting up a project like this , which is why I'm earnestly curious to some pointers .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 09:51 AM

8,574 posts, read 12,408,664 times
This isn't so much a real estate question so you might get better responses in another forum, perhaps Green Living or Science and Technology.

Last edited by jackmichigan; 10-10-2020 at 10:23 AM..

Old 10-10-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
This isn't so much a real estate question so you might get better responses in other forum, perhaps Green Living or Science and Technology.

Ah ok , thanks for that bit of advice !

Old 10-10-2020, 11:23 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Just be certain before you buy that zoning allows what you want to do and that you will be able to obtain building permits. Be absolutely certain that you can get water. In some places that is not possible.

Every drop of water belongs to someone so chase down the details and make sure you can get water.

Internet is available just about everywhere with satellite or wireless. However, it required electricity before you can use it.

Land that is not dead level is very expensive to develop (lot preparation). Keep that in mind.

Utilities cost a medium size fortune to bring in if they are not already at the lot line. Also keep that in mind. You can go off grid for electric and sewer, but you will still need water from somewhere.

Old 10-10-2020, 12:52 PM

10,306 posts, read 6,837,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionel Fauquier View Post
As I've mentioned on at least another thread , I'm planning on buying a big plot of land that I'd be ( at the very least ) putting up a mobile home on , if not building a house on .

Naturally I'm going at it from the angle of buying an undeveloped plot of land ( i.e. no sewer/no power grid ) and then making it habitable via putting in a septic tank/an electrical generator and such .

What I'm especially interested in is the aspect of using Wifi while off grid , since while it's apparently possible ( https://downtoearthhomesteaders.com/...ving-off-grid/ ) I've heard very mixed opinions about the whole affair .

All in all while I'm a relatively handy fellow , I have absolutely zero experience starting up a project like this , which is why I'm earnestly curious to some pointers .
We've heard of people that want to "get away from everyone" before. Usually, the one thing that surprises these folks is the cost of going "totally independent." So, I would say, double your budget for what you want to do. Double, at least.

Solar and wind power generation are 2 technologies you might approach. (You'll need both.)

Good luck with your project!

Old 10-10-2020, 12:59 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
As a newbie "greenhorn" so to speak... I would seriously reconsider wanting to be off-grid.

There are plenty of very very rural places where you can get away from people and still have available electricity.

I would consider doing that. Because living off grid makes EVERYTHING ELSE harder. And perhaps needlessly so.

Get yourself established, get everything built, learn how to live out there with less, and then down the road, when you know more about it, and the technology catches up with you, you can always unplug if that still sounds appealing then.

Old 10-10-2020, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
We've heard of people that want to "get away from everyone" before. Usually, the one thing that surprises these folks is the cost of going "totally independent." So, I would say, double your budget for what you want to do. Double, at least.

Solar and wind power generation are 2 technologies you might approach. (You'll need both.)

Good luck with your project!

Oh I'm not planning on becoming totally independent or anything like that man , it's just that I don't see the point of buying a house when I can exist well enough in a mobile home , and I'm honestly intrigued by the prospect of building my own house on the cheap on a self owned piece of land like those innumerable fellows on ( say ) Youtube have allegedly done so .

Thanks for the answer by the way !

Old 10-10-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
As a newbie "greenhorn" so to speak... I would seriously reconsider wanting to be off-grid.

There are plenty of very very rural places where you can get away from people and still have available electricity.

I would consider doing that. Because living off grid makes EVERYTHING ELSE harder. And perhaps needlessly so.

Get yourself established, get everything built, learn how to live out there with less, and then down the road, when you know more about it, and the technology catches up with you, you can always unplug if that still sounds appealing then.

May I ask if you have any experience with using ( for lack of a better term ) off the grid electricity in terms of electrical generators and such ?

Because I'm not planning on going without electricity , I'm merely interested in using off the grid electricity so to speak .

Thanks for the answer though !

Old 10-10-2020, 01:17 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,107,650 times
Yes, I have a generator that we use during power outages. They work, but they're noisy and expensive to run all the time. We run it a few hours a day during emergency power outages to recharge batteries and cool down freezers again.... but we don't/can't run it all the time.

And I have a couple of friends and clients who have bought and built with off-grid.

One friend lives way up on an island along the inside passage of Vancouver Island.... completely off grid, has solar, wind, and gas powered generators for options, maintains a household and livestock, and has internet. It's possible, but it's a lifestyle that requires quite a bit of skills in a wide variety of disciplines to maintain. And nothing about it is cheap.

Old 10-10-2020, 04:37 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
It's possible, but it's a lifestyle that requires quite a bit of skills in a wide variety of disciplines to maintain. And nothing about it is cheap.
Don't forget how much TIME every single day that sort of lifestyle requires to maintain. Everything will take longer and days off will be rarer. Don't forget to consider whether you need employment in order to support all those dreams financially even after its built. I have known quite a few friends/colleagues who took their off grid lifestyles more or less seriously and they were also employed most to full time. They worked a full day and then came home to hours of "chores". It can be a real daily grind even with experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology