Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2021, 05:31 AM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times

Advertisements

A nice TED talk by Frank van Mierlo of 1366 Technologies explaining the physics (in simple terms) behind a new generation of solar cells, called tandem solar cells. Tandem cells should capture about 50% more of the incident solar energy (producing efficiencies of 30%+ instead of the 20% they are presently limited to), and should be arriving on the market in the next couple of years. This will significantly improve the attractiveness of solar energy installations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI1FSTGSHII

An inexpensive tandem solar cell using a perovskite top layer and a silicon sublayer was recently shown to provide nearly 30% efficiency. This is about a 50% improvement over current single layer silicon devices.
https://scitechdaily.com/world-recor...30-efficiency/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2021, 11:36 AM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
Now all we need is a way to keep the snow from sticking.

Old 02-16-2021, 02:51 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Doesn't matter how good they might allegedly be.... I could never afford one. I'm look for realistic and practical options.

Old 02-19-2021, 06:19 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,572,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Now all we need is a way to keep the snow from sticking.
Angle the panels so that they face southwards in the northern hemisphere (or northwards in the southern hemisphere). The sun will melt the snow pretty fast if the angle is optimized. Bonus points if you tilt them more during winter months (though this requires adjusting them twice a year).

Old 02-19-2021, 08:15 AM

Maybe a material with a high rate of thermal expansion can be leveraged to adjust the angle over the course of a year?

Old 03-04-2021, 06:25 AM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Doesn't matter how good they might allegedly be.... I could never afford one. I'm look for realistic and practical options.
Not sure what you mean by that - there are already hundreds of gigawatts of solar panels producing now, and it's rapidly expanding. And, this new technology of tandem cells will be lowering the cost per kilowatt-hour of solar electricity produced, so this is next-generation technology that will lower costs.

Old 03-25-2021, 11:40 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
Not sure what you mean by that - there are already hundreds of gigawatts of solar panels producing now, and it's rapidly expanding. And, this new technology of tandem cells will be lowering the cost per kilowatt-hour of solar electricity produced, so this is next-generation technology that will lower costs.
Reminds me of buying a computer. I had so many clients put it off because "Next month it will be cheaper". And with that attitude they'll be running MS-DOS for the rest of their life. You've got it figured out. So many don't.

Old 03-27-2021, 08:22 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Angle the panels so that they face southwards in the northern hemisphere (or northwards in the southern hemisphere). The sun will melt the snow pretty fast if the angle is optimized. Bonus points if you tilt them more during winter months (though this requires adjusting them twice a year).
All depends on how cold cold is. In some places the snow does not melt before April.

Old 03-27-2021, 08:24 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Reminds me of buying a computer. I had so many clients put it off because "Next month it will be cheaper". And with that attitude they'll be running MS-DOS for the rest of their life. You've got it figured out. So many don't.
That reminds me on the old saying that, "computers will reduce the amount of printing."!

Oh!..I forgot about the flying cars we should own by now.

Another one: do you remember all the little "green signs" being posted on toilet and paper towel dispensers that read, "Don't waste paper. Save a tree"? Then COVID-19 hits us, and everyone rushes to the store to buy toilet and paper towel. Nobody is talking against cutting trees these days.

Last edited by RayinAK; 03-27-2021 at 08:32 PM..

Old 03-30-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
That reminds me on the old saying that, "computers will reduce the amount of printing."!
I worked in an IT office for many years. Originally it seemed like the amount of printing would stay about the same, but little by little it declined to the point where we almost never printed anything. Desks started to shrink because there just wasn't a need to store paper any more. Everything gets stored on disk nowadays, and even that is migrating over to the cloud. It took a few decades, but the amount of printing has massively decreased. I suppose there are a few anachronistic sites that still cling to paper bureaucracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology