Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 02:48 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times

Advertisements

I've noticed that when I make a drink with a glass-glass full of ice, the ice melts right away, like in 10 minutes.

This never used to happen....my ice would outlast the drink most of the time....in Southern CA.

Is it because I'm in the tropics now? I ask because the temperature is no different, so is it humidity? Even in a thermal mug, the ice melts quickly. Just seems weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2021, 03:47 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,075 times
Could be a difference in the temperature of the liquid you're pouring in. Also, your icemaker might be making less dense ice maybe, with air bubbles in it?

Old 04-03-2021, 06:21 PM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
Could be a difference in the temperature of the liquid you're pouring in. Also, your icemaker might be making less dense ice maybe, with air bubbles in it?
Your first sentence very well could describe the cause. A second possibility is that the ice is not as cold. Water freezes at about 32 degrees F, but once frozen ice can become even colder. A freezer compartment in a refrigerator is usually closer to 0 degrees F than 32. That gives a little extra cooling when the ice is in a drink; however, the bulk of cooling still occurs because of the phase change of the ice back to liquid water.

Shape and size of cubes also can make a difference in the speed at which they melt. Ice machine ice can be warmer than freezer compartment ice as well, depending on how the harvesting cycle is set.

Old 04-04-2021, 03:58 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Interesting! I had no idea ice could be different.

No ice-makers here, but I would not doubt that the freezer is sub-par, since all the appliances are down here.
I will go put a thermometer in it....if it's 32 instead of 0, I guess that might explain it...

Old 04-04-2021, 04:05 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
The two variables here are the temperature of the ice cubes and the temperature of the liquid. The third, less of a factor, variable would be air temperature. Air is a poor conductor of heat. The solid and the liquid are the better conductors and leads to a more efficient transfer of temperature towards equilibrium.

Old 04-07-2021, 12:53 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,467,804 times
The container (glass or cup), the ambient temperature and the temperature of the liquid should be the 3 most important factors.

The air temperature would be important if the glass or cup offers no insulation.

Old 04-07-2021, 03:00 PM

5,966 posts, read 3,706,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Your first sentence very well could describe the cause. A second possibility is that the ice is not as cold. Water freezes at about 32 degrees F, but once frozen ice can become even colder. A freezer compartment in a refrigerator is usually closer to 0 degrees F than 32. That gives a little extra cooling when the ice is in a drink; however, the bulk of cooling still occurs because of the phase change of the ice back to liquid water.

Shape and size of cubes also can make a difference in the speed at which they melt. Ice machine ice can be warmer than freezer compartment ice as well, depending on how the harvesting cycle is set.
Nailed it!

Most important factors:

1. Volume and temp of the liquid you're trying to cool.

2. Volume, temp, and size/shape of ice cubes.

3. Insulation factor of glass and ambient air temp play a role also, but not as important initially as the first two.

Old 04-07-2021, 04:53 PM

11,069 posts, read 7,135,481 times
Throwing out the possibility of sea level / altitude also as a possibility. Water at sea level boils at a higher temp than at altitude. The reverse, freezing, could also respond differently with different surface altitudes (heights above sea level).

Old 04-12-2021, 04:05 PM

15,071 posts, read 10,089,802 times
Could mineral or salt content of the water source for ice maker also be at play?

Old 04-25-2021, 10:17 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Possibly the OP is using New Standard Ice. The International Science Federation agreed several years ago to cut the time in half that water has to stay frozen, to be called, "ice". The water in the United States accepted this downgrade, although in other parts of the world, it is insisting on sticking to the old standard. Watch the movie, "The Abyss", to learn some of the other mysterious properties of water and the controlling of it. I hope this sets the OP's mind at ease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology