Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: By 2050, the following will exist and be commonplace
Self Driving cars 67 74.44%
Flying cars 17 18.89%
C3PO type Robots 21 23.33%
Smoking hot Terminator 3 type robots (non killing type) 10 11.11%
AI 42 46.67%
a Matrix 13 14.44%
anti aging formula 31 34.44%
nano molecular manufacturers 51 56.67%
nuclear fusion 41 45.56%
FTL Space travel 16 17.78%
Space Planes - Just like todays planes, but into space! 45 50.00%
Laser guns 36 40.00%
lightsabers 5 5.56%
cool robotic arms/legs/etc 58 64.44%
cure for all diseases 11 12.22%
wormhole teleporters 4 4.44%
X-ray glasses!!! 9 10.00%
Sgtar trek "food pills" that meet all your daily requirements. 24 26.67%
a flying car you can fold into a briefcase 5 5.56%
a suit of Iron Man Armor. woot woot! 9 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:40 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,477,690 times

Advertisements

New Device Reads Minds Pretty Well (http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/newdevicereadsmindsprettywell - broken link)

spooky!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 05:08 PM

this will be amazing if true

Ray Kurzweil Says Man & Machine Will Become One by 2045 (http://digg.com/d1obov - broken link)

Old 04-14-2009, 07:42 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,583,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

So if we use the wind in the center of the country for 20%, and the oceans on the coasts for another 20% we can have almost half our energy needs met without the use of oil, coal, or nuclear.
A different mindset or something is going to be needed to keep every wind turbine out of the courts for years. They have been trying to move forward on a windfarm off Cape Cod, and while it is moving forward, years have been wasted in court. Big name, big money NIMBY's like Walter Cronkite have been trying to stop it for years.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:46 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,655,505 times
Regarding humanoid like robotics, Japan seems to be taking some big steps in that area of development. Things are still very much at the stage of being pretty stiff and mechanical, but several decades from now such machines might be much more lifelike in appearance, motion and communication. Here are a few impressive examples.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/8252708-post4.html

YouTube - Robot Fashion in Catwalk

YouTube - Advance Female Android Aiko AI robot fembot

Old 04-16-2009, 06:42 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,904,518 times
This all sounds like using technology to create tremendous boredom and then fixing the boredom with technology. Another circle jerk for the technologists.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:37 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,676,330 times
Since i'm into anti aging bio medicines and technology i really believe in the near future that aging will be if not conquered then vastly prolonged as the research into the ''aging'' gene's i.e. Sirt and Daf. and also the chromosomal end caps i.e. the Telomere's is moving very fast.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Since i'm into anti aging bio medicines and technology i really believe in the near future that aging will be if not conquered then vastly prolonged as the research into the ''aging'' gene's i.e. Sirt and Daf. and also the chromosomal end caps i.e. the Telomere's is moving very fast.
I do as well. the problem with that will be, we cant live for ever and still be having children.

THAT will be some interesting politics!

Old 04-16-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
I do as well. the problem with that will be, we cant live for ever and still be having children.

THAT will be some interesting politics!

That would be a problem (overpopulation) if people continued having children as early as we currently do. However, if life expectancy were extended to say 500 years or so, there'd be less rush, and people may want to wait until they're 100 before starting to have kids. There is a need to slow down the rate of population growth at the present time. Otherwise, we may find the future looking more like Blade Runner.

There are a couple of other factors as well. Most likely, there will still be death as a result of accident, crime, wars, unknown diseases and natural catastrophe. And it could well be that people could choose when they've had enough of life and decide it's time to check out. Better though would be to thin the population by means of migration.

If we ever find a way to migrate off the planet and thrive and survive throughout the cosmos, then the problem of overpopulation on Earth would be over. Although terraforming suitable planets might be possible, it would take a very long time to accomplish. More likely, building large, movable space bio-habitats seem like a more reasonable solution. To do that requires extracting resources to use for construction. Those resources could be found within the Asteroid Belt as well as the outer fringes of the solar system.

It won't happen by 2050, but it's possible by 2050 that we may have the technology (AI robotics) to begin such a process. Sending people on such excursions doesn't seem practical, unless the limitations of life expectancy can be significantly extended.

Regardless, there is a major snag in such scenarios though. It's all about the financial investment. Such projects aren't free, and would require a tremendous international effort to accomplish such lofty goals. Although historically, fundings for major exploration have been provided by governments, that seems to be a bit more difficult these days due to other priorities or a lack of interest. Private enterprises are getting more into the act of competing in space exploration. I don't think we'll see the end of government involvement any time soon, but perhaps the private sector can eventually take the lead and continue making more major breakthroughs.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:38 AM

309 posts, read 1,027,434 times
Quote:
Self Driving cars
I certainly see a market for these. At first there is going to be a smart-car only lane, but eventually I think all highway traffic will take this on. Certainly by 2050. Shortly after that there will be a shift toward converting the entire road system. Motorized vehicle accident deaths are going to plummet 95% when this happens. There will be a few accidents due to malfunctions or crashing software, and people will complain, but the numbers will show that computers are MUCH, MUCH more reliable at driving.

Quote:
Flying cars
Not until well after self driving cars margin of error almost non-existent. Nobody will fly these things manually, except licensed pilots. Do you want Gomer Pyle drinking and flying into your house? No...

Quote:
C3PO type Robots
Robots for sure, C3P0, probably not.

Quote:
Smoking hot Terminator 3 type robots (non killing type)
Probably not "smoking hot" except in the way a picture of a woman is (which is nothing compared to a woman in real life). Killing robots will be a reality.. err ARE a reality. The military has several thousand comissioned "robots" working for them, and they have some projects where they are working on entirely automated robots that make their own decisions. ARMED robots, mind you...

Quote:
AI
I'm pretty skeptical of AI in the next 100 years. We shall see though. If we have a good AGI system running in the next 40 years, it will probably be pretty limited. Maybe, and a big maybe, it will have human capacity. No more really.

Quote:
a Matrix
Not sure what is meant by this. A virtual world? Yes, I think we will have neural interfaces in the next 40 years.

Quote:
anti aging formula
Not sure, but I'm certain if you are alive and under 40 today, you will probably have a natural lifespan of 125 or so years. If you are under 20, I think it will be more like 200 years. After that, who knows.

Quote:
nano molecular manufacturers
In some areas, yes. Or to be more specific, I think material manufacturing, such as computers will be done on a nano-scale. They already are for the most part.

Quote:
nuclear fusion
Eh, possibly. Even if the technology is ironed out today though, it could be 20 years before we even see a single plant. These things take time, and it is mostly political and beaurcracy issues. If such things exist by then, It will be one or two only.

Quote:
FTL Space travel
No, barring any spectacular breakthroughs that shatter many of our beliefs in the physical universe.

Quote:
Space Planes - Just like todays planes, but into space!
By 2050 I think we will have that private space station and shuttles to take vacationers there. NASA or a multi-national conglomerate will have likely sent men to mars and back.

Quote:
Laser guns
Not like in Sci-Fi, but we already have em.

Quote:
lightsabers
No, this technology is even less likely than the idea of the Force.

Quote:
cool robotic arms/legs/etc
Already have em to some degree, and will be much improved by 2050. People might even elect to have an existing arm or legs replaced just for the fact that they are BETTER than what we naturally have.

Quote:
cure for all diseases
No... So long as we have biological bodies, there will be a disease that comes up and takes us by surprise. At least by 2050. Perhaps at some point natural evolution doesn't stand a chance at keeping up with our advances, but that is a bit niave to think that what we are doing won't create it's own diseases/conditions. Also there is an increased chance of man made virus/disease created.

Quote:
wormhole teleporters
Unlikely.

Quote:
X-ray glasses!!!
Not glasses, though I suppose artificial eyes could be advanced enough at this point to see ambient X-Rays already existing. You probably wouldn't see through anything, as they don't have the kind of power needed to penetrate skin.

Quote:
Sgtar trek "food pills" that meet all your daily requirements.
Maybe as a suppliment, I think we will discover more about nutrition, but not enough to remove the need for plants or protiens from animals.

Quote:
a flying car you can fold into a briefcase
No, but an electric scooter perhaps.

Quote:
a suit of Iron Man Armor. woot woot!
Nothing like Iron man, but certainly exo-skeletons and external augmented systems. We have em today, though not in production yet.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:46 PM

Here's my look at the list. Some things may be possible to achieve by 2050, others may take longer, and some might not be possible at all. I have to admit the subjects in the list could be worthy for lengthy discussion or explanation. But I'll try to keep it brief.

Self Driving Cars
The technology is already in the works, though rather bulky at present.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSS0MZvoltw

Flying Cars
For decades, there have been limited test examples. Rather that flying cars, they're more like drivable airplanes. I don't think such vehicles will be common place though. We have enough problems with the volume of air traffic as it is. There may be some, but flying cars as a common alternative to ground based vehicles by 2050 would only add to the complexity. Here's one of the most recent examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHXnLCIgNug

C3PO Type Robots/Smoking hot Terminator 3 type robots (non killing type)
These are similar. We might see something similar with much higher capabilities and more sophisticated programming by 2050. (See vids & link in my earlier post)

AI
Artificial Intelligence will likely be much more sophisticated by 2050 but will still be limited. There may be some things, like intuition, that would be difficult, if not impossible, to replicate any time in the near future.

A Matrix
Like the previous poster, I'm not sure what that means. If it means a virtual world, then it's possible by 2050. It could have some useful applications, although it would still have limitations. I don't think it would reach a level where it would be difficult to tell the difference between a virtual world and the real world. One useful application I can envision would be for people who are seriously ill or physically unable to get around in the world.

Anti Aging Formula
I think we may well see human life extended more than it is today. People don't die because of old age. People die because vital organs become damaged or wear out. It might be possible to eliminate the aging process by using genetic therapy or modification, but I don't see anything like that happening by 2050, if it can happen at all. Still, it might be possible to find more people living to be 125 or 150 years old by 2050.

Nano Molecular Manufacturers
I agree with the point indicated by the previous poster. We'll most likely see much more of it by 2050. It seems okay at the present time, but a great deal of care needs to be taken, especially to avoid self-replicating nano particles from going out of control causing an unstoppable problem like gray goo.

Nuclear Fusion
It might be possible as an alternative form of energy, but it will still be wise to have a wide variety of energy sources. If one source fails, there would be others to pick up the slack. One of the biggest challenges we face is to solve the energy grid problem of transferring energy from the source to the consumer. Our present energy grid system is subject to failure from several causes, such as massive solar storms, lightning, accident, etc.

FTL Space Travel
We might be able to find a way to travel near the speed of light at some point in the future, but I have my doubts we'll ever go faster than light, certainly not by 2050, if ever. At best, we might find some ways that seem as fast or faster than light speed, but in reality are just shortcuts.

Space Planes - Just like todays planes, but into space!
That's already in the works. By 2050, flights into space for business or tourism may become more common by 2050, but probably limited near Earth orbits as shortcuts to other Earthly destinations. Travel to the moon, and even Mars, may become more frequent, but still limited to a select few, such as scientists, engineers, and other people with technical skills. Although we have the capability to send a manned mission to Mars, I'm doubtful that will happen by 2050, simply because of the economics to do so. It's simply cheaper to send robotics. The only apparent reason to send people to Mars before or by 2050 would be for bragging rights to say that as human beings we can do it, although there are also scientific reasons that would be worthwhile. But it's still all about the cost. Sending a manned mission to Mars would not be a short stint and could last anywhere from 18 months to perhaps three years. It's all about the money to fund such a project which would probably be the most expensive one the Earth has ever seen. We could well continue having more pressing needs to deal with here on Earth. We'll probably get there eventually, but it might be later than 2050.

Laser Guns
As the previous poster indicated, we do have lasers that can be used as weapons, but I don't think we'll have anything like that you could carry around like a gunslinger.

Lightsabres
No. It makes for great entertainment like Star Wars, but that's about it. Otherwise it would have to be a cutting laser. They work fine for industrial or medical uses, but I don't know how well they'd work as a handheld weapon. Probably not very well.

Cool Robotic Arms/Legs/Etc
We're well on the way for such prosthetic limbs. By 2050, I think they will be developed much better than they are today. Just how lifelike they'll be remains to be seen. The big hurtle is to create artificial limbs that provide sensation and feeling, but those are issues being worked on as we speak.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/123049.php
http://neurophilosophy.wordpress.com/2007/02/02/feelings-from-a-prosthetic-limb/

Cure For All Diseases
No, probably not by 2050, although we will most likely see continued advances in controlling or eliminating various diseases, but no cure for all diseases. Many diseases are caused by viruses, microbes or genetic defects. Humans are host to numerous microbes, like bacteria. Most of the time they don't present a problem. It's when something triggers them off to start rapidly multiplying that they become harmful to us. At best, it requires selective control to reduce or eliminate certain diseases. To try to rid all of them would be just as bad as not controlling them at all. For example, you can't get rid of all bacteria because some forms of bacteria are necessary for the body to work. You have to selectively target certain ones. Even then there are risks that some of those bacteria will mutate into strains that are resistant to specific forms of control. However, we will probably see an increase in selective or smart medicines to control certain problems by 2050.

Wormhole Teleporters
Hmm. That's kind of a twofold question. Wormholes AND teleportation. First, there's major problem about wormholes. They're based pure speculation. There's no evidence they actually exist. That doesn't mean they don't exist, but it also doesn't mean they do exist. We don't know. It may be nothing more than a fanciful notion.

But for the sake of conjecture, let's say they do indeed exist. We still have a problem because you'd have to know where that wormhole leads. You don't want to end up in the middle of a blazing star, in the middle of space somewhere else, in some strange bubble universe that contains different dimensions and physics, or somewhere in hyperspace outside of our universe. Those could be some pretty nasty destinations. You probably wouldn't land on some cozy Earthlike planet.

Another thing about wormholes is that I don't think they are generally thought of as a means for teleportation. They are usually considered as tubelike openings in the fabric of space-time. They are often illustrated as a shortcut from one point in the universe to another point. But that assumes the shape of the universe folds over on itself. Wormholes may be so unstable and narrow that they don't exist for long. By narrow, I mean perhaps not much wider than an atom or two. If they are tubelike, you would somehow have a way to expand the width of the wormhole large enough to pass through it. The amount of energy it would require to do that would probably be inconceivable. They may be short in comparison to direct distances in space, but they may still be hundreds of thousands of light years long. If they are unstable and close up before you pass through it, you're history.

That's brings us to teleportation. What would you teleport? Information? Or people and supplies? What is the destination? You could teleport information, but can you teleport physical matter like people? Probably not. You'd have to accurately scan every single atom and subatomic particle. Then you are faced with two possibilities. Either store the information and send it, in which case it is not you but only a copy of you. Or disassemble all the atoms and quarks in your body, and fire them through. Either way, you'd need a receiver on the other end for collection and reassembly. We definitely won't see anything like that happening by 2050.

X-Ray Glasses
There are the novelty x-ray specs that used to be advertised in the back page of comic books. But that's not what you mean. There are the new devices being set up in some airports that can see through your clothes. The viewing screen seems to be kind of large. I can imagine that by 2050, rather than having a large bulky screen, a portable viewer worn like glasses that plugs into the hardware might be developed.

Sgtar trek "food pills" that meet all your daily requirements
I'm guessing you mean "Star Trek". Probably not. Even if you could, I don't think a pill would be enough to keep your digestive system functioning without some serious risks to other organs like your kidneys, liver, etc.

A Flying Car you can fold into a Briefcase
Not unless it's a very tiny car and you were about the size of a mouse. But then you'd be too small to carry the briefcase.

A Suit of Iron Man Armor
External mechanical devices that can enhance strength are already being developed. I suppose in might be possible to develop something similar that could be worn like a space suit though.

YouTube - Raytheon Sarcos Exoskeleton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology